PDA

View Full Version : molting already???

bookworm0550
11-16-2008, 09:19 AM
when do lovebirds start to molt? jojo here was born in the middle of july, so he's only 4 months old and right now and his baby beak is 99% gone and lately he's been sporting these 2 specks of cantaloupe color on his bib. i'll try to take a photo of it later. He's not molting, but I'm assuming this is the start of it. i wonder if the weather has a role. i live in minnesota and lately it's been cold, gloomy, and gray.

linda040899
11-16-2008, 09:29 AM
Young lovebirds begin the first molt at roughly 4 months (16 weeks) of age. If you are seeing darker colored feathers, that's what's happening. Temperature has nothing to do with when the adult feathers replaced baby ones.

The first molt produces the most noticeable color change. The next ones are more subtle, although coloring will deepen and intensify with age.

momo
11-16-2008, 09:30 AM
yeah I found that once the black on elmos beak had left. i saw a couple of little feathers.. nothing compared to what's happening now though.

i think it was the little feathers on his head as she started to get the pink bits through.

bookworm0550
11-16-2008, 09:48 AM
ok....awwww, my baby is growing up. yeah at first i thought maybe it was color that rubbed off a toy or something cuz it was literally overnight. I had taken those photos I posted up a week or so ago on the forum and the next day that orange speck appeared. It was weird.

lemonypickett
11-16-2008, 11:30 AM
I agree that Joey is growing up :(

It was sad when Eddie lost his orange beak. But a cantelope head made up for it!

Be prepared for Joey to look kinda raggedy for a while. Eddie had a hard first molt and looked freckled all over. Now, he is so cute, I just want to eat him! ;)

HaleBoppPeachyluv
11-16-2008, 01:50 PM
yeah... i liked the dusty color my sunny was when i first got her, and now her crown is starting to deepen to read and her peach is starting to brighten too... i'm excited to see ow bright she'll be in another few months.

bookworm0550
11-16-2008, 06:38 PM
yeah, i'm excited for joey's bib to turn as well. my baby's growing up!!!