PDA

View Full Version : yes!! carrots!!

maya_exquisite
12-06-2008, 03:28 PM
I've tried giving the kids lettuce. I've tried giving the kids string beans. I've tried giving them apples. They didn't touch any of it. Today I chopped up baby carrots and rinsed the pieces in ACV water and put it in their snack cups... and Kano is grinding it!! Well, half of it is on the floor but still!! Mika sampled it but didn't sit to eat it as much as Kano. Whoo-hoo!!

CARROTS!! :happy:

I tried taking a photo when I noticed Mika nibbling at it but by the time I got the camera she moved on... but I was able to snap a couple of Kano!

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa205/maya_exquisite2/lovebirds/kanocarrots1.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa205/maya_exquisite2/lovebirds/kanocarrots2.jpg

I told my bf, "You have NO IDEA how happy I am that they're eating carrots!!" He goes, "You're right. I don't." And then he left the room. :rotfl

bookworm0550
12-06-2008, 03:48 PM
dont you worry, I have an idea of how happy you are :)

maya_exquisite
12-06-2008, 03:54 PM
^ Hahah!! Thanks!!

After a week or so of carrots, I wonder what I should try next? Maybe broccoli... Or should I stick to carrots for a while before switching up since this is their first time eating a veggie?

Oh yay!! I was able to get a shot of Mika eating it: http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa205/maya_exquisite2/lovebirds/carrotsboth.jpg

shylevon
12-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Try snap peas. I cut them up into 1/2" pieces in a bowl and also hang some full pieces from the cage bars. They are a favorite for most birdies, once they figure out how to eat them.

Snow peas are pretty good too, but not as good as snaps.

Lovies also love corn, but if you are serving it on the cob, stick it into the microwave for about 30-40 seconds first. This will not cook the corn, but will kill bacteria that normally grows under the husk. Rinse to cool before serving so tongues don't burn.

Broccoli is great too, as it is real high in calcium. My birds don't like the seedy flower parts (which is odd for a lovie) but they love the stalks.

HaleBoppPeachyluv
12-06-2008, 04:46 PM
I just tried giving my sunnybird some broccoli & she loved it! didn't eat very much, but snacked it & then wiped her beak on me. yay!

maya_exquisite
12-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Oooooh! I'll definitely go out next week and pick up some snap peas!! Too bad they can't enjoy it with ranch dressing like I do!! *lol*

Pips mom
12-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Pip's favorite is corn......I find that not many birds don't like corn! He also loves brocolli and peas! Carrots have never been a big hit here, but they do eat them sometimes. A great treat too is popcorn.....I get the birdie popcorn, it's like a little corn on the cob(in the pet store) and you put it in the microwave....Pip loves popcorn!

maya_exquisite
12-06-2008, 05:50 PM
^ Wal-Mart now carries a popcorn/seed snack. Mika and Kano really enjoy it!!

cprcheetah
12-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Wahoo congrats! I KNOW how happy you are. While Kira & Kai came from Eric as veggie lovers, my budgies are not, neither was my CAG at first. Mine REALLY like Carrots (I buy the matchstick shreds for the small birds and the little disky types for the CAG. Mine love Kale, and broccoli. I've found that with the lovebirds, they like to have pieces they can pick up and munch on with the lettuces/kale, they usually end up dropping it but then after they've picked out their favs they fly down and get the 'droppings'. I am now just starting to introduce them to peas, and corn, so far so good! Now I only have 3 budgies to convert to veggie lovers.... :)

Kira and Kai are POPCORN addicts! They go nuts for it! They love the snack from Walmart.

maya_exquisite
12-07-2008, 03:44 AM
^ I've never seen matchstick shredded carrots at any of our grocery stores! That sounds so convenient!! I plan on buying one of those grate things that make super thin slices so I don't have to spend time with a knife slicing away.

I've never even heard of kale until this forum! *lol* Probably because I only eat veggies my mom has bought in my lifetime... and that didn't include kale. Hehe. I think the next time I go to the grocery store I need to take a closer look at all the different vegetables!

Pips mom
12-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Also remember that organic is best for birdies. I always get organic, but there have been times when good stuff wasn't available in organic, so I will at times get one veggie that isn't organic, but I try really hard to get organic, mostly since my Ivy is a big veggie eater and really pigs out on them and I figure if she's eating that much, I should give her organic. I even get her organic walnuts!