PDA

View Full Version : New baby and newowner help..

tammyv
12-15-2008, 11:34 PM
:heartbreak:
I bought a 2 month lovebird male last friday from a breeder.. i bought him home and while putting in his new cage with toys and food he escaped on me. I got him back in the cage and now he is scared and hides in his hut and seems afraid and I cant blame him.. I and my two kids talk to him all the time and sing and etc.. He does sit at the side of the cage and listen and than takes off to hide.. He chirps to the microwave when it beeps, I need some advice to get my bird friendly and use to us. I bought the bird to enjoy and I think i messed up when he got out of this cage,, Can some one help us get back on track with Levi.. I sure dont want a unfriendly baby. Tammy

bookworm0550
12-15-2008, 11:49 PM
hi tammy. last friday? It's only been a few days so he still needs to settle in first. is he tame? clipped? I'd give him some time. He's still getting used to his new surroundings. I got a new lovie about 3 weeks ago and she's still getting used to me and my other bird. Every bird is different. You can search on this forum. there's a lot of great stuff.

He was probably spooked when he escaped on you, but that's not enough for him to be unfriendly or anything. Playing w/ him everyday will help him NOT be unfriendly. It's a lot of work and patience. I think talking and interacting w/ him is a great start. He's just scared right now as this is all new to him, that's why he's hiding. You didn't mess up. Don't let that make you think you ruined his chances of being a friendly bird. It's all about interaction and socializing w/ them.

A lot of us on here have "messed" up, either by grabbing the bird out of the cage or something. I know I'm guilty of a lot of no-no's. But that's why there's this great website :)

You can play Youtube videos of other lovebirds for him. I find that usually sparks their interest.

tammyv
12-16-2008, 12:30 AM
hi thanks, yes, he is clipped. when Ibought him from the breeder he flew around her and in a few cages. She caught him right away and and placed him on her shoulder. He maybe a little on the wild side. yes, it was last friday.. I will search the site for more informaito on settleing him in. I just feel so bad for the little guy

maya_exquisite
12-16-2008, 02:34 AM
Aw, he'll be fine!! Just like bookworm said, just spend time with him every day. You can leave his cage door open (with your supervision) so he can come out on his own time... he'll get used to you and eventually be curious as to what you're doing and may want to join you!! Then you'll never be rid of him and you'll have a permanent shadow!! Hehehe.

Maybe you can leave some millet somewhere outside the cage to try and coax him out too? But just be patient... :)

What kind of lovebird is Levi? Can we see pictures??

bookworm0550
12-16-2008, 09:00 AM
he sounds a little flighty, but with work and patience he'll come around. they are super curious. yeah, leave the cage door open and when he's ready to come out and explore he will.

yep millet works wonders. i would just interact w/ him as much as possible. It'll take some time and it should be easier since he's a lone bird.

tammyv
12-17-2008, 08:04 AM
I will get a photo as soon as i can.. My camera software isant working right.
So, are you telling me even before he has settled in to let him come out of his cage? Honestly guys, I am new to birds. I have 3 dogs and a house rabbit and also 3 bearded dragons.. I love bird but, I am kind of dumb to them..:rofl: So I need all the help I can.. T

BarbieH
12-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Use your judgment on when you think he's ready for coming out of the cage. He's really pretty young, so he might do well with the physical interaction with you. Just make sure you do this in a small, enclosed room that none of your other pets can get into. Bathrooms are great with the toilet seat closed. Keep the room relatively dark.

lemonypickett
12-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Welcome to the forum, there is a TON of info on here.

Don't get frustrated, I just bought a second lovie from a breeder and he was never handled at 6 months (or more). In about 2 weeks I can now get him to step up on my finger, and he will sit with me for hours. He gets better every day.

Hang in there, and be patient. Slow and steady wins the race.
Good luck, we are here for you.

bookworm0550
12-17-2008, 06:30 PM
yes, the bathroom is a great way to start, just make sure mirrors are covered and the toilet as well. have some treat to give him. do it a few times a day for a few minutes. You can also read aloud to him, eat in front of him, etc...while he's in his cage so he gets used to you. You can also let him sit on your shoulder if he is comfortable doing that and as long as he's not gonna bite you. you can usually spot the biters right away (just my opinion). Just make sure you are not wearing earrings.

MariefromCanada
12-22-2008, 10:43 AM
The only thing I can tell you is it's going to take time before your luvvy gets use to you.

Kiki wasn't hand fed and I had him since June. I bought him from a pet store.

From my personnal experience, It took 3 months of effort and patience before he could completly trust me. I can now pick him up, rub his head- back and chest and give kisses without him bitting me.

tammyv
12-23-2008, 09:38 AM
Levi has really started to bob his head at us. We took him into the bathroom and let him out. he flew around our heads and did step up on his stick.. He
would not let us near him with our hands though.. he also did not let us place him on the shoulders with a stick.. yesteday he let me place my hands on the outside of the cage with out freaking and today he is freaking again. He does like to hide in his hut..