PDA

View Full Version : New to lovebirds, and had a few questions!

AlFa
12-21-2008, 03:43 AM
Hi, I just got two baby hand fed lovebirds on friday. I visited my uncle overseas the last two summers and he lives on a farm with lots of animal including canaries and love birds. I wanted to see how it is to raise one of my own. I have been debating on whether I should try this or not over the pas year or so and here I am. I am pretty patient and very caring and determined, so I am sure I will be successful. Anyway, as i am new to this, I had a few questions and was hoping for some help.

When I bought them, the person I bought it from told me that I am supposed to handle them a lot in order to keep them tame. So we basically started playing with them right away. This includes taking them out of their cages, holding them, having them sit on my hand and fingers, even drops of water on them (to bathe them). Was this a mistake?? Should I let them decide when to come out? They stick to the corners of their cage. I have an empty container in there which I am going to fill with some sort of food tomorrow, but one of the birds spends a significant amount of time in there. Is this normal, is it a sign that it is scared and not used to its new cage? Does this reinforce my concern of leaving them in the cage until they want to come out? Should I be handling them this early? They do flutter and get a bit scared when I put my hand in the cage and at first when i bring them out, but after a while they seem content perched on my finger or crawling up my arm. But they do seem scared of my other hand if I bring it near them. I even tried the whole step up thing, and it does come on to my other finger/hand. Does it sound like I should give it more time to get used to its cage before I take it out or handle it? Should I even take it out or wait for it to come out on its own and come to me?

I have been reading a lot of material to help me learn about how to raise, tame, and train them the best I can (but none seem to be specific enough to answer my questions). So, I do whistle at them and try to mimic them when they chirp and whistle. I give them lots of attention periodically throughout the day. But I am worried that I may be moving to fast. I just figured handling them would tame them and get them used to me faster (and ultimately creating that bond faster).

I also was really concerned that they didn't touch their water today. I have had them for only two days now. Yesterday I saw them drink water and whatnot but today I only saw them eat and not drink any water. I did change their water this morning as well as their food. I also sliced banana and mixed it with their mix.

So I am also wondering about their diets. I filled one of their containers with what i think is called mellets. It's basically a mix of sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, dried bananas, these tiny yellow things (I think their some sort of seed also), etc. Beside this I got a bag full of just the yellow seed - like stuff that i mentioned above. There are also these branch like things with shperes of food that they seem to enjoy (Sorry about not knowing the names and the horrible descriptions). I was told these are what I need to get started. I have been giving them mainly the mellet stuff and branch like foods (which they seem to like a lot), and I also tried giving them apples but they didn't touch it (I read something about them not even being able to recognize its food). That's why I tried mixing the babana with their other food. Am I on the right track with their diet??

Also it seems like they are not sleeping. At night when I turn off the lights it gets pitch dark so i dont think i need a cover. but they go to the corner of the cage and hang on with both feet and beak. They dont move much, but it was too dark to see if their eyes were open. Is this normal? I am concerned because I heard that they sleep perched with one leg unless sick. So I am a bit worried and am unsure if they are even sleeping. This morning it looked as they were both really tired, one of them looked as though it yawned!! So I turned off the lights and left them alone hoping they would sleep. They seemed better in the afternoon (by better I mean not as tired).

Sorry about all the questions (and the mini-book I wrote above), I am just new to this and want to do my best. I truly do appreciate anyone reading this through and helping me out. All advice would be appreciated and I'd love to hear any opinions and criticism good or bad. Thanks in advance.

dieflying
12-21-2008, 03:55 AM
Not an expert here, but what I can offer -

My bird doesn't use her water nearly as much as her food dish, so it's really hard to catch her drinking. It's possible you just don't see them doing it. Definitely keep an eye on it though!

When offering fresh food like apples and such, I find it useful to put a little of the seed over the fresh stuff. My bird gets tricked into tasting the fresh stuff because she's after the seed and ends up eating the fresh food as well. I only let her have that food for an hour or so and then I give her a bowl of seed to snack on.

Starting out by letting them hear your voice and sitting near them making sounds helps, I've found. After a few days of that with my bird, she started showing signs of wanting out. We're about a month in and she can't stand it when she isn't let out of the cage. So it just takes some time.

As for clinging to the side of the cage, that's what my bird did the first few days. I don't know why, maybe she felt more secure in a corner. When they get tired, they'll sleep.

linda040899
12-21-2008, 05:23 AM
Hi and welcome to our community! Congratulations on your 2 new lovebirds! If you are looking for information, you've come to the right place. This site is the equivalent of an online book so spending time just reading should be a big help! Of interest to you should be our Resource Library, Care Forum and Behavior & Taming Forum. Since each lovebird is different, it's important that you get to know your own fids (feathered kids)!

Attention, attention and more attention is the way to keep lovebirds tame. They are very social and since you have 2 of them, they could easily get attention from each other if they don't get enough from you.

The behavior you are seeing now is very, very common. Trade places with them. They are in a completely new environment and have no idea what's going to happen. They need to learn from experience that they are safe and can trust you. You would feel the same way if your life suddenly changed as theirs has.

Most of us have found that it's best if you let them come to you. Lovebirds are very curious and have to check out everything. Just leaving the cage door open and interacting with them without touching should be enough to catch their interest. Talking/whistling back to them (contact calls) is a good way to communicate with them. I do this all the time with mine. You need to join their flock so you do what's necessary! :lol

Once they come out and you want to pick them up, try offering a wooden perch instead of your hand. Many lovebirds just plain don't like hands and will respond better to a perch. Let them hang out with you and explore your person so they become familiar with you. Most lovebirds do not stay in one place very long, simply because it's a big wonderful world out there and there's tons of stuff to see and get in to!!

While some lovebirds will eat fruit, most will not. Fresh veggies are a different story, however! Foods that are off limits include avocado, chocolate and fried food. Birds don't digest lactose so the only dairy product they can have is yogurt. Tiny bits of cheese won't hurt but make those infrequent.

The seed on a stem is millet and most birds adore it! It does have some nutritional value but I limit the amount I offer to, say, 1 stem a couple of times/week. The base food should be Cockatiel seed. You can add pellets if you like but not more than 40%. Per my avian vet, pellets are actually too much nutrition and too many pellets can cause death by kidney failure. If you offer seed, a few pellets and a lot of fresh veggies, that should have the diet covered pretty well. Most of us here feed a varied diet.

Some lovebirds do sleep hanging from the side of their cage. While it doesn't look comfortable, they do it. If you put a perch near where they are, they will most likely use it.

Hope this information is helpful.

Bella
12-21-2008, 05:51 AM
One thing I found was good with my lovebirds was to play the "shut eye" game. You look at them whilst they are in the cage, close your eyes very deliberately for a couple of seconds, and open again. Repeat a few times. If the lovebird starts doing this back, it means it is comfortable with you being around and is a sign it is starting to accept you.

lemonypickett
12-21-2008, 08:28 AM
Hi and welcome. I liked your description of the millet, I knew right off what you were talking about. It is like candy.

As to the sleeping, my birds go into a sleeping room which is black, but I always cover the cage too. I had read that it makes them feel secure. Almost like imagine you are in a huge black room that you can't see monsters in. Or... in a small, cozy dark tent. It gives them a smaller area to worry about dangers from. I use a blanket that is not too heavy for good air flow.

BarbieH
12-21-2008, 08:54 AM
Hi and welcome. :)

Did you mention how old your birds are? Younger birds especially adore having dark little cozy corners to curl up in.

I also like eating near my birds' cages to help them feel comfortable with me. It helps bring me into their flock -- and if they eat when you eat, you're in!

bookworm0550
12-21-2008, 10:31 AM
they are just settling in and they'll get used to you as time goes by. yeah, they're probably cautious of you cuz they don't know you, but as you spend time w/ them, they'll come around. Spending time w/ you can mean anything from them just sitting on your shoulders, playing next to you, etc...

one thing a lot of people on here do is take their birds to the bathroom and hang out in there w/ millet as a treat. just make sure toilet seat is covered and mirrors are covered w/ a towel or something. that worked wonders w/ my first bird. it's less distracting in bathrooms i think.

oh yeah, clinging to the cage to sleep is normal too. it doesn't look comfortable, but i've seen it done. In my opinion, they either like sleeping that way or it makes them feel more safe (as in they have something to cling to in case a monster snatches them in the dark). But yeah, you can offer them a sleeping tent.

I don't think it's too early to play w/ them, but that's just my opinion and my experience. Maybe if they were really scared, I wouldn't. You just have to use your best judgement. You can always just let them out of their cage so they can explore around the area and whatnot. Just keep an eye on them.

Also try napping next to them and eating next to them too. I've read that that helps. Everyone's given you some real great advice.

Oh and uh, Photos please. We really love pictures around here.

AlFa
12-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Oh wow!! Thanks for the all the attention and advice.

So I've decided to let them get used to their cages and not bother them by touching them too much (atleast for the first two or three days). Then I'll try taking them to the bathroom like some of you have advised.

They shouldn't be more than a couple of months, the bird store owner said they were "new born." I am guessing between 2 - 5 months.

I think I got the foods down(thanks to you guys)...lol. So millets are branch like and are good once every few weeks; Cockatiel seeds are the mixed seeds with pumpkin and sunflower seeds and should be they're main source of food; I also have pellets which are the yellow tiny things and they are god as treats and should be given to them minimally (because they are too nutritious). Veggies are better than fruits and I should mix them with their seeds. I am a quick learner, Thanks guys!!

I am wondering, how often do your lovebirds blink, or what are your lovebirds eye patterns? I sat next to the cage and watched them today and they blink and close their eyes a lot. After leading a lot of these threads I've become paranoid about illnesses...lol. Also they are not very talkative. They chirp every once in a while, and they dont move from their corner much. Just wondering the usual behavior of these guys to see if these are symptoms i should worry about.

Hey, I really appreciate the warm welcome and am grateful for the help. I will keep you guys updated for sure, and will probably bother you guys a lot as I learn about these lovebirds. I am still trying to decide on names for them. I'll post pictures soon (within the week). Thanks for all the support.

maya_exquisite
12-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Hi and welcome!! Can't wait to see photos!! Until then, could you tell us the general colors of the birds? Face, body, rump colors? :)

They shouldn't be more than a couple of months, the bird store owner said they were "new born." I am guessing between 2 - 5 months.

What color are the beaks?

I think I got the foods down(thanks to you guys)...lol. So millets are branch like and are good once every few weeks; Cockatiel seeds are the mixed seeds with pumpkin and sunflower seeds and should be they're main source of food; I also have pellets which are the yellow tiny things and they are god as treats and should be given to them minimally (because they are too nutritious). Veggies are better than fruits and I should mix them with their seeds. I am a quick learner, Thanks guys!!

You can give the millet a couple of times per week like Linda said. For the pellets, you can mix the small amount in with their seed. Mine personally don't like pellets and avoid them in the dish. Haha. For the veggies, more than mixing it in with their regular seed, you may want to try sprinkling some millet over their veggies. Since they love millet so much, they may be more inclined to try it out. For me, I have their regular seed dish and then I have a separate dish for their veggies because I don't want their seed to get soggy and yucky.

I am wondering, how often do your lovebirds blink, or what are your lovebirds eye patterns? I sat next to the cage and watched them today and they blink and close their eyes a lot. After leading a lot of these threads I've become paranoid about illnesses...lol. Also they are not very talkative. They chirp every once in a while, and they dont move from their corner much. Just wondering the usual behavior of these guys to see if these are symptoms i should worry about.

It depends on what my birds are doing. If they're paying attention to something, they don't blink all that often. But if they're just hanging around and doing nothing on a perch, they'll "blink" a lot but it's more of that "dozing off slowly" type of blinking. And birds need lots of sleep so maybe they're doing the dozing off thing? As for the chirping, it could be because they're just still scared... once they're more comfortable, I'm sure you won't be able to get them to shut up. *lol*

Hey, I really appreciate the warm welcome and am grateful for the help. I will keep you guys updated for sure, and will probably bother you guys a lot as I learn about these lovebirds. I am still trying to decide on names for them. I'll post pictures soon (within the week). Thanks for all the support.

Oooooooooooooooh!! We looooooooooooove helping with name suggestions!! Once we see pictures, I'm sure we'll all be chiming in with suggestions!! My suggestions are always Hawaiian or Japanese words and names. Hehe.

momo
12-21-2008, 07:34 PM
re: chirping.. my lovie was/is the same.. when I first got him I didnt hear much of a peep out of him but once he settles in.. they can get quite chirpy when they want too.

they are still really new to our house so they would be quiet scared.. for the first couple of days I couldnt get with in a two meter radius of elmo's cage without him freaking out.. though he was a baby but a little wild as well. it all just takes time and you will all be friends soon :)

michael
12-21-2008, 09:27 PM
.......They shouldn't be more than a couple of months, the bird store owner said they were "new born." I am guessing between 2 - 5 months.

I am wondering, how often do your lovebirds blink, or what are your lovebirds eye patterns? I sat next to the cage and watched them today and they blink and close their eyes a lot. After leading a lot of these threads I've become paranoid about illnesses...lol. Also they are not very talkative. They chirp every once in a while, and they dont move from their corner much. Just wondering the usual behavior of these guys to see if these are symptoms i should worry about.........

Hi Alfa! Welcome to our community. Sounds like you've got yourself two very special lovebirds! Glad you took the time to share them with us. So are your birds spending much time huddled together? Also, do you know whether or not your birds are of the same clutch (siblings), or perhaps (as per choice of names) maybe their gender? As for the later question, while the chances are slim, there are some breeders who supply this information through DNA which may help you understand certain behaviors once they become more mature. If not, avianbiotech can perform a relatively cheap but accurate DNA sent by mail. As for their blinking eye's......as mentioned already, unless their dozing off, usually this is a good sign as quite often it means their comfortable around others. Best thing to do is blink right back to show them your not a predator. My lovebird by the way doesn't blink all too often but instead keeps his eyes closed either in bliss from being massaged, or in a wide open blank stare in anticipation of being massaged into a bliss.............:roll:

As always, whenever there's any suspected illness a vet exam should shortly follow. Should you need assistance finding an avian vet in your area, there is a search option http://aav.org/vet-lookup/ both this and Avianbiotech resources can be found in the "Lovebird Resource Library". For the record, you may eventually want to check out the benefits of a "well bird exam". Even though avian vet care is rather expensive, a well bird exam could save both lives and finances in the long run. Good luck, and we will certainly be looking forward to some exciting updates....and pics!..............:)

bookworm0550
12-21-2008, 10:48 PM
hehe, they're always quiet at first and then they drive you nuts w/ chirping. lol, my bf was napping earlier and my birds where chirping w/ each other and jumping around their cages. it'll happen soon enough. I know all about being paranoid about the birds, illnesses, etc...but this forum is always very helpful.

AlFa
12-21-2008, 10:51 PM
Thanks guys. Hi michael, my birds are always huddled together. They sleep conjoined at the hip (or wing). I was asked about the beak color before, it's yellow orangish. I have no idea if they are siblings or of their gender. One is an assortment of colors but mostly yellow with a peach face (I think they call them pink faced or something) and the other is primarily gray.

It makes sense that they are falling asleep or dozing off. I get that feeling when I look at them and they dont do it that often. So I am going to accept that explanation until I see something particularly unusual.

I am a college student so I am generally short on cash. Its not terribly important that i know their gender. I hear they arent mature enough to breed until they are atleast a year. And I guess i can tell their gender if one starts laying eggs or if they act more than friendly.

I left them in their cages today and didnt much touch them, but I walked by and tried talking to them. I also chirped with them and even sang and danced in front of their cage (I am taking exams and studying 24/7 so I act a bit crazy sometimes). They did seem more comfortable today which is great They were having climbing races or contests int heir cages, basically going all over the place. It was kind of funny because one of them hasn't mastered climbing completely and falls to the bottom sometimes. But tonight after practicing alot with the other one, he was doing great and moving much faster, so i think they are having fun and doing alright.

On tuesday or wednesday (when exams are over) I am going to try the bathroom trick, and take them to the bathroom and leave their cage open hoping they come out and interact with me. I was wondering should I do this with each of them separately or should I do it with them together? I would love them both to form a strong bond with me (it's important to me that they do, but I am taking it patiently and going to do it the right way). I know having two birds lessens the human bonding effect, but I am going to try my best.

Other than that they are doing great. It was kind of cute I saw them feeding each other (I don't know if that implies anything about their gender). I also moved the water container next to the food and they were drinking a lot more. So I think we are OK, Just wondering about whether to do the bathroom thing with both of them or separately. Thank you very much.

maya_exquisite
12-21-2008, 10:58 PM
One is an assortment of colors but mostly yellow with a peach face (I think they call them pink faced or something) and the other is primarily gray.

The "primarily gray" one sounds like a Slate. The yellow could be variety of mutations like Lutino, Creamino, Pied, Cinnamon, etc... You can look up those mutation names and see which one fits your bird best?

I hear they arent mature enough to breed until they are atleast a year. And I guess i can tell their gender if one starts laying eggs or if they act more than friendly.

Just because they aren't mature in our eyes (for health reasons) to breed, doesn't mean they won't. I've personally heard of hens laying eggs around six months old before. If they can, they will. *lol*

I was wondering should I do this with each of them separately or should I do it with them together?

It would be better to do it seperately because if they're together they'll just be distracted and want each others attention.

Other than that they are doing great. It was kind of cute I saw them feeding each other (I don't know if that implies anything about their gender). I also moved the water container next to the food and they were drinking a lot more. So I think we are OK, Just wondering about whether to do the bathroom thing with both of them or separately. Thank you very much.

Both genders will feed each other. I'm glad things are getting better!! But seriously, we want pictures. :rofl:

bookworm0550
12-21-2008, 11:43 PM
you can try and take them separately. I tried that w/ my second lovie (evolet) and her and my first bird (joey) would chirp back and forth and she didn't seem to like being there w/ me alone. She tried to fly to Joey too, but the door was closed so she just stood there looking at me and the door like "I want to go to the other bird cuz you're scary" so the bathroom didn't work on her...haha. So if I did the bathroom thing w/ her, I had joey in there too. She was more comfortable that way and eventually I gave up the bathroom thing cuz it didn't work, BUT that's not to say that you will experience that as well. Good luck. After finals, you'll have no excuses for not posting up photos....haha, jk.

bookworm0550
12-21-2008, 11:43 PM
oh yeah, it sounds like they are settling in bit by bit. that's great to hear.

BarbieH
12-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Sounds good! I'm sure they were entertained by the floor show. :)

As they mature, a pair of lovies will show increased physical attraction no matter what the genders are. I have a pair of brothers who, from time to time, will act every bit like a male-female pair. Only eggs are a sure sign of a hen -- and only chicks are a sure sign of having a male-female pair.

AlFa
12-23-2008, 09:35 PM
Hi,

I took some pictures of my birds, I dont see an option to insert pictures here. So how exactly do I post them for you.

Thanks

michael
12-23-2008, 09:59 PM
Hi,

I took some pictures of my birds, I dont see an option to insert pictures here. So how exactly do I post them for you.

Thanks

Hi Alfa. What you will need to do is choose a free online photo hosting website such as Flickr, Picture trails, Imageshack, etc. Upload your photo's to their website. Then further provide a "link" to your photo's. Most of these sites offer instructions on how to share them with other website forums. As a note....With the exception of the "Photo stories" forum, all our other forums require the use of links only. This is how our members help keep out certain "uninvited" guests. Should you have any difficulties, please let us know...........:)

AlFa
12-24-2008, 11:02 AM
Hi,

So I opened up a Flickr account and this is the link it gave me:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33669338@N04/?saved=1

Enjoy!

bookworm0550
12-24-2008, 04:01 PM
ohmigosh, your birds are beautiful!!!!!!!!!

maya_exquisite
12-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Very pretty birds!! I would love for you to take more photos (at different angles) of the bird on the right!! Is it the flash or does the birds feathers look like a very light brown?? I've never personally seem a lovebird that color before...!! And the feathers on the wings look like they're wavy or have some sort of pattern, unless it's just the camera playing tricks on my eyes!!

AlFa
12-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Hey thanks,

So I have been leaving there cages open for the past few days and today they came out for the first time. I tried to feed them a sunflower seed with my hand so that they would start recognizing my hand as a "good thing," But they are really scared of me.

So when I wanted to put them back i had to catch them, and i think i scared them a lot. Since I put them back they have clinged on to the corner of their cage like there's no tomorrow. I kind of feel like they like each other too much to open up to me, not sure what to do about that.

I don't know why they are so scared of me. I mean since they are hand fed they should be used to humans right?

I am going to get a fish tank so I can separate them (and put one in the tank while I work with the other) and take them to the bathroom one at a time. I am not sure exactly how to separate them without touching and scaring them though. Any suggestions?

I am starting to feel like they'll never open up to me while they are together, but so long as they don't fight I can't afford another cage. Has anyone ever tried to tame two birds at the same time successfully? If so how did you manage to do it (details)?

Any one with suggestions on how I can get them to loosen up to me or separate them without touching them would be great. In fact any suggestions what so ever would be great!!

PS And Maya no camera tricks, my birds are just that sexy....LOL.

maya_exquisite
12-24-2008, 05:20 PM
First and foremost, you just need to remember that you haven't had your birds for very long. Some birds take an hour to warm up to a person. Some take days, weeks, maybe even months depending on the situation. Just give it time. They're also probably scared because you had to catch them to go back into the cage. Could you imagine a pair of hands three times your size coming at you to pick you up? I'd be sh*tting my pants!! Maybe next time you let them out and want them to go back into their cage, you can tempt them to go back in with millet or another treat. Place the treat inside the cage and I'm sure they'll find their way to the treat in no time. Mika practically attacks my hand as I'm putting treats into his cage. *lol* Just give them ample time to warm up to your hands. In the meantime, if you want to "pick them up" you can use a step-up perch or stick... they may be more inclined to go on that than your hand for the time being.

Also, if you're going to get yourself a fish tank to separate them while you work with one, I suggest getting a small cheap cage instead because then the bird not being worked with can still have perches and toys and what not. I don't think being in a fish tank is fun for a bird that has good mobility. It's another story if it's a baby still being hand fed... also, you don't want the bird trying to fly out of the fish tank and getting bonked by the glass. They can really hurt themselves that way.

Another thing... Hand fed doesn't equal tame. There are many people out there that hand feed their birds and claim they're hand tame. A great example is when I went to a local pet store and the 10+ lovebirds they had said "hand fed." So I asked the store worker if they were hand TAME. She said yes. And I asked her, "You guys play with these lovebirds daily?" She said yes. So I asked her to see some, just because they were so beautiful... yeah, they FREAKED OUT when she stuck her hand in the cages and I got bitten so hard blood started to drip a little. I wanted to smack that worker, seriously. Not only that, but she saw the blood dripping and I had to ASK for a bandaid... she didn't offer one. If the breeder or pet shop workers don't handle the birds and play with them for a good amount of time every day, it's all for nothing pretty much. When I used to breed lovebirds, I would have roughly five babies at a time that I was hand feeding. They were able to be tame at the same time because not only was I feeding them but I played with them all the time from the very beginning.

Your babies will probably always prefer each other over you, no matter what... especially because they seem to have been bonded way before meeting you. And that's okay. They're flock birds. But you can definitely, slowly, work your way into their hearts and you can become "second best." Hehe.

My main suggestion for them to open up a little is just to give it more time and just be around them a lot. You don't have to be playing with them physically, but you can interact by doing things like eating in front of them, blinking when they blink, talking to them... just do stuff around them and eventually they'll get curious as to what you're doing and may come up to you. You just need lots of daily, quality interaction. :)

P.S. Dayum, they're just that sexy, huh?? Well, I still want to see more pictures just because I've personally never seen that color. I know lighting and flashes can distort true feather color... is the one on the right really a light brown??

bookworm0550
12-24-2008, 05:49 PM
like maya said, hand fed does not always equal hand tame. they'll be easier to tame and handle than the ones raised by parents.

Are they pretty tame and just scared? or are they kinda flighty? When I got Evolet, she was kinda flighty and shy, but I never "caught" her when she was on the floor or anything. I just offered her my hand and she either A) ran away or B) jumped up onto my hand. You can try to offer your hand to them instead "catching' them. I don't know exactly what you do when you "catch" them though. Try it and see what they do.

as far as handling and trying to tame two at the same time, i don't know. i'm sure someone on here would have advice.

i know, it does feel like they'll never come around, but really, give them time and they will. Just keep interacting w/ them everyday. It's as simple as that. The hard part is waiting around for them to come to realize, "hey, this guys' not so bad afterall." I've read about people taming down their wild lovies. This one girl on her website took almost a year to tame down her wild lovebird. So it'll happen and just think of these people so that you dont give up or feel defeated.

AlFa
12-24-2008, 06:39 PM
maya:

I'll get you some more pictures soon, maya. I think the color is yellow, but it's exactly the same as in the picture so i don't know. I tried the perch stick but they run away from that too...lol.

I thought of fish tank because that's what they were in at the pet shop I bought them. I heard about some people giving some small ones away on craigslist. Now that you mention it, I did become a little worried about the whole flying into glass thing. Maybe I should figure something else out.

Yea I'm not gonna force them in anymore. I'll try your treat trick. Another thing, how would you play with your birds? I've tried rolling a ping pong ball to them to play with but they are frightened by it. Can you describe your game times?...lol

Thanks for the advice, will do.

bookworm:

So my question is what do you mean by tame? I mean they kinda run away from me all the time. If i sit next to their cage they'll hang on the other side of the cage (Although they've started to sit on the perch recently, so they'll sit on the perch as far as they can).

Again what do you mean by flighty (I gotta learn this lovebird terminology...lol)?

I am not going to catch them anymore. But what I mean by "catch" is that I'd just pick them up of the floor and put them on the back of my other hand or in their cage. And no I won't be giving up anytime soon. It just makes me want to try harder. Until those guys are flying onto my shoulder and relaxing there while I do stuff at home (the way you guys describe) I won't give up.

Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll keep you guys updated on what goes on.

bookworm0550
12-24-2008, 07:30 PM
how do i define tame? I guess to me, tame means how comfortable a bird is w/ human contact. i'm not talking about biting cuz even tame ones bite. it's normal that they run away from you right now. Like Joey for example, he came to me tame already, yet he still ran from me for a few days cuz he didn't know me. But I knew he was tame cuz he was comfortable w/ jumping onto my hands, sitting down w/ me perched on my fingers, he was good w/ letting me pet him, he was very relaxed, yet wary of me etc... Whereas my boyfriend once kept a wild pair at my house a long time ago and they were scared of everything I had and was doing. I could not touch them or even go near them w/o them screaming bloody murder. They just were not comfortable w/ me at all or w/ any human contact and they bit...a lot.

As far as flighty goes, the best way i can term it is that it's a bird that was hand fed and is now a bit hand shy. My breeder didn't have enough time to play w/ all her lovies so though evolet is used to humans and whatnot, she's "shy" and flies away more, BUT she's more comfortable w/ me than a wild bird. I hope that explains it. Maybe someone else can explain it better than I can. So Evolet is more challenging for me. She still needs a lot of work. She likes me, I know cuz she preens me, budges between Joey sometimes, comes to me, etc..but she's a No-no when it comes to petting unless Joey is w/ us and then it doesn't matter, but when it's one on one, I think it makes her uncomfortable still. I don't even know if that's something she'll ever get over or something I'll just have to accept. I know some lovies just don't like touching, even though they're tame and love hanging out on you and with you. thank goodness I have Joey (I'm sure it's obvious he's my cuddlebear).

Haha, you're trying to get yours to come to you, I can't get mine to get off. I had to use the bathroom so bad one day and they wouldn't get off me, especially Joey. I had to lure him off w/ millet and then made a dash. Whew.

michael
12-26-2008, 11:25 PM
..........Another thing, how would you play with your birds? I've tried rolling a ping pong ball to them to play with but they are frightened by it. Can you describe your game times?...lol

.........So my question is what do you mean by tame? I mean they kinda run away from me all the time. If i sit next to their cage they'll hang on the other side of the cage (Although they've started to sit on the perch recently, so they'll sit on the perch as far as they can).

.........Again what do you mean by flighty (I gotta learn this lovebird terminology...lol)?

I am not going to catch them anymore. But what I mean by "catch" is that I'd just pick them up of the floor and put them on the back of my other hand or in their cage. And no I won't be giving up anytime soon. It just makes me want to try harder. Until those guys are flying onto my shoulder and relaxing there while I do stuff at home (the way you guys describe) I won't give up.

Great looking lovebirds Alfa! http://www.flickr.com/photos/33669338@N04/?saved=1 Thanks!.....:)....While I'm absolutely worthless when it comes to genetics and colours, I have a feeling there may be a bit of Aussie cinnamon involved. Perhaps the more knowledgable will eventually get a chance to take a look see.

You know, it had really taken quite some time before my 'single' lovebird decided it was safe to explore certain objects, especially if I presented them with THE SCAREY HAND :omg:! You could say that most objects left out for his individual scrutiny faired much better. Perhaps once your birds feel safe enough to explore their new environment they will then take an interest in those items you choose for them. Or maybe I should say, they choose from you. To this day (with the exception of some foods), my lovie still won't accept a whole lot from my hands. I think he just doesn't understand the motivation behind various items as often even the hands themselves are not viewed by parrots as being part of the whole person/being. As for any games we play..... I cannot say there's ever been much focus on anything in particular, although he does like stainless flatware, large 4'' key rings (not the split kind where they can bet their beak stuck), crumpled paper balls, dingy bells (clacker safe), large marbles, barrel of fun (which he now thinks is a mate), and small mirrors, etc, etc. He has though been trying to play the piano, but apparently has yet to achieve the necessary weight needed to plunk down the keys. Poor guy :(.

The meaning of "tame"?......For some of us, this means taking heart in knowing that while your bird/s are out you will not be attacked by them.......For others, its the feeling of warm wet birdy droppings slithering down your back whenever your bird/s are out........Really, because your birds are still keeping their distance, it sounds like a couple weeks may have to pass before they're confident your not their enemy. Best you can do for now is find a safe area where you can camp out (millet in hand) right next to their cage. Working with them "together" may also work out fine as generally once one bird warms up to you the other might very well follow suit. I would still check on another cage regardless if you plan to work with them separately or not. Most important is making sure they cannot escape (by someone walking in unexpectedly), along with doing your best to keep them OFF the floor. Floors are not good as small birds are a hundred times more likely to be stepped on than one of fido's four paws........all be it far deadlier too.

Flight'y adj.-i-er, -i-est ..........I kind of like the first entry definition as "Given to sudden whims"

Lastly.......:wink:......I'd like to ask whether your birds have ever climbed onto the back of your hand?....Like from the floor where we don't really want them?......When practicing "step up" maneuvers (which is the prefered way to return them to their cage) if your birds are too fearful of a stick, maybe try using the back of your hand for awhile. Either that, or try working with a thicker perch stick as I know many poeple who's birds simply dread anything that resembles a pencil. In fact, most that I know use what looks to be a 3/4 to 1" diameter dowl stock...............:)

lemonypickett
12-27-2008, 06:30 AM
I agree, an unusual color of that one on the left!

So pretty.

linda040899
12-27-2008, 07:23 AM
The darker of the 2 lovebirds is a WF American Cinnamon Slate and the bird is between 2.5-3 months old. The brown splotch on the beak indicates cinnamon and this particular bird is actually showing what the adult facial coloring will look like. WF American Cinnamon Slate is a sex linked color and male is exceptionally hard to find. I breed this mutation and I remember what I had to go through to find a male!

The other bird is an Australian Cinnamon Green. The feathering has too much yellow to it to be an American Cinnamon Green. This is the older of the two birds but I will need to see better photos of this one to be able to tell you more about it. Australian Cinnamon is also a sex linked color so chances of this one being a female are pretty good, too.

Pet shops use aquariums for display purposes because it's easy to let customers interact with the birds in the aquarium. I don't suggest using this at home.

These birds are afraid of you because they don't know you. You know that you won't hurt them but they have to learn that through experience with you. That doesn't happen overnight so all you can do is be patient. Leave them in their cage and just be near them. Sit next to their cage, eat near their cage, talk to them. Just be present. They will begin to see you as non-threatening. Once that happens, you will become something new to explore and that's what lovebirds do best! A spray of millet with you or near you will be inviting to them. Millet is a favorite and not many birds can resist it.

Put yourself in their position for just a minute. They are away from everything familiar. How do you feel when you are somewhere you've never been before? I, for one, am not relaxed or anxious to interact with just anyone. Lack of caution could get me in a lot of trouble very quickly. It could also cost me my life, depending on where I happen to be. Not comfortable, that's for sure!

MykL
01-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Your birds are Beeeautiful BTW... And to EVERYONE who has posted... You guys are such a wealth of information!

jaqcorsiga
01-06-2009, 01:17 AM
so what happened?. ive just finished reading this thread. helped a lot, and cant wait to try it on my birds too.. for those that dont know me, ive had 2 lovies for over a month now, having a hard time training and taming because im always out of the house.. and can only play with them on weekends.. ive posted pics on
http://s387.photobucket.com/albums/oo318/jaqcorsiga/?action=view&current=DSC01486.jpg oh,, and i promised maya that i would post pics today.. so busy with work.. ill probably do it next week so i could take better pics.. thanks again maya...

just wondering if youre now the proud owner of tame lovies.. im also wondering how you would train the two birds.. whether separately or together.. thanks..