PDA

View Full Version : Steam Cleaners for Floors

linda040899
12-28-2008, 10:16 AM
I've been seeing these advertised for cleaning tile, laminate and even wood floors. All they use is water so I'm not questioning safety.

Is anyone using one of these and how hard is the steam on, say, laminate or wood? I'm thinking about getting one but not sure what the long term effect on my laminate flooring might be!

Buy A Paper Doll
12-28-2008, 11:50 AM
I checked the Pergo website (http://www.pergo.com/US_Maintanence_Info.aspx). It doesn't mention anything about steam cleaners but there is an 800 number for questions: (1-800-337-3746)

I did learn something new, it says you can use a mixture of either 1 cup of vinegar to 1 gallon of water, or 1/3 cup ammonia to 1 gallon of water to clean it.

kimsbirds
12-28-2008, 02:33 PM
I bought the H2O Steam Mop and LOVE IT!! I use regular tap water, but I put in 2 tbsp of white vinegar too. It doesn't leave any liquid on the laminate floors in my house, so I don't worry about the edges lifting.
Now, if only I could find the time to do it more often:blush:

linda040899
12-28-2008, 02:46 PM
Thanks, Kim!
That's exactly what I needed to hear! I tried a mop with vinegar/water and the sponge part of the mop fell apart in about 2 weeks. :( I like Swiffer but it takes a lot of disposable cloths to do my living room/dining room. Most of the steam cleaners have washable pads so that's right up my alley!

lemonypickett
12-28-2008, 02:55 PM
I have used a steam cleaner on brick to remove soot, and it didn't hurt that or the mortar (which I would think is softer than laminate flooring) and I used it on my fridge and all its rubber gaskets and plastic parts with no problem. Do you have a link to the one you are thinking of? I can see if it is similar to the one I used (it's my mom's... wish I had one!)

momo
12-28-2008, 06:57 PM
If read that if you want to really clean things.. get a dyson vacuum cleaner.. I got one from the post christmas sales and normally I always have a runny nose in the morning.. and ever since I vacuumed my mattress and pillows. i have been runny nose free.

The dyson is actually better on hard floors than it is on carpets. I've read a whole bunch of forums about them before we got one, and all I heard were fantastic reports from people who had hard floors :)

I sound like a sales man, but they are just fantastic. i love mine, we just got the basic model the dc19. and its just so good.

lemonypickett
12-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Oh momo, you high roller! lol

Eliza
12-29-2008, 02:45 PM
I bought the H2O Steam Mop and LOVE IT!! I use regular tap water, but I put in 2 tbsp of white vinegar too. It doesn't leave any liquid on the laminate floors in my house, so I don't worry about the edges lifting.

That's one of the ones I was thinking of getting -- I love the infomercials!

I'm also curious about the Haan steam cleaner. I've seen the infomercials and it's also sold on HSN.

And don't get me started on the Dyson vacuum cleaner. I actually oogle them like a fancy sports car :rofl:

Kristina
12-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Thanks, Kim!
That's exactly what I needed to hear! I tried a mop with vinegar/water and the sponge part of the mop fell apart in about 2 weeks. :( I like Swiffer but it takes a lot of disposable cloths to do my living room/dining room. Most of the steam cleaners have washable pads so that's right up my alley!

We have this kind of mop. I loooove it. http://www.buyonlinenow.com/viewitemsAct.asp?classlabel=KDAA&manufactlabel=1700268&SKU=RUB6A8810&gb=1

I mainly use water/vinegar and a drop or two of scented essential oil. We've had our's for about 4 years and I am just now needing to replace it (there is a metal piece and it's beginning to get rusty). I normally mop once a week. Okay, it's been a little less since I got pregnant, but I blame that on the puking and crazy hormones. LOL.

ETA - We don't have a full size steam cleaner, just a spot cleaner. But I use vinegar in that too. We also have one of those Bissell Flip It's for hard floors, but I hate it. It leaks and is a pain to pull out every time I need to mop. When we had more storage space, I used it more often, but it just isn't as easy in this house.

momo
12-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Oh momo, you high roller! lol

lol not really, we were just lucky to get it on a boxing day sale.. normally 599. cut down to 399!!