PDA

View Full Version : No Good Deed Goes Unpunished...

MykL
12-30-2008, 12:29 AM
Okay Guys Hear Me Out! -- I took on the lovely task of finding a home for a friend of a friend's Lovebird that could no longer be cared for. After searching high and low I found a new owner through work - I cared for the bird for a few weeks before finally sending her off to her new home.

Now here is where I need some support... This lovebird was CLEARLY a Hen... I've only been used to my easygoing, happy-go-lucky Male Lovie... So when I encountered this little spitfire I was taken aback to say the least... She was EXTREMLY cage agressive and SO vocal (I was at odds with the family over the early morning wake up calls...)... I Just want to know that with time and love, that she will be just as happy and lovable and affectionate as I brag about my little guy being... :(... Once she was out and away form her cage, she was almost sweet... I just hope I didn't pass on a problem-bird? HELP!

Anyone with Hen experience let me know your thoughts! PUUULEEEZE!:confused:

maya_exquisite
12-30-2008, 01:23 AM
I wouldn't classify the hen as a "problem" bird... just look at it this way - she was taken from her home, moved into yours for a short while, and is now at another (hopefully permanent) home. Just moving to one new home can be stressful enough, ya know? Sure, hens tend to be more territorial, but I'm sure with lots of time and lots of love she'll get used to her new surroundings and her new family. Each bird is different and takes however amount of time, short or long or even very long, to get used to things and become "tame." It really all depends on the amount of time they put into her and how much consistent, daily interaction they give her. JAnd who knows, even after all that attention for a long time she may never truly be tame. Some birds are just stubborn like that. Haha. Just let the new family know this... they need to be patient. :)

LauraO
12-30-2008, 09:28 AM
It is pretty normal for a hen to be more cage aggressive and aggressive in general. They are the ones who protect the nest, eggs, and babies in the wild. So a nesty hen is only being a good hen.

However, there are some adjustments you can make to deal with some hen aggression such as moving the cage and its contents around often. Remove the hen from the cage while socializing. Stick training the hen allows owners to manage an aggressive hen without having to handle them.

I think the key is being open with the new owners and attempt to find and implement all the tools you can into this hen's life to make sure she has the best chance at a loving forever home.

kk and tango
01-04-2009, 09:43 PM
i think if you make the owners aware of things they can do regarding taming and training, a lot of the problems can be mitigated. I would definitely refer them here! It's important they have access to good information and it might keep them from giving her back to you in frustration.

bookworm0550
01-04-2009, 11:29 PM
i agree w/ KK and Tango. let them know the situation and send them here and other forums for help and advice. hopefully it's something that won't stop them from loving her for being a good hen. Hey, when hormones take over, they take over. I think I said it before, you'd think I was a lovebird hen once a month. LOL.