PDA

View Full Version : I think I have the wrong bird... he's letting me pat him!

momo
01-06-2009, 04:40 AM
Ok, something weird has happened in the past few days...

Elmo always spreads his wings out to me at times.. he used to yell and flap them at me.. but now he just opens them.. esp when I walk into the room and walk up to him... I assume he doesn't like it that I'm taller than him.

Anyways, the past few days in the morning when I carry him to his play pen, I try to pat his back when he opens his wings at me. Tonight when mum and I were having dinner, we put elmos play pen beside us. He was playing with his new toys. and opened his wings a few times at me and let me pat his back.. :blush: in the space of 15 minutes, I got to pat him three times :blush::blush: but it was different this time. he opened his wings and didn't squawk at me.. he just opened them let me pat them, held them there and i pulled away when he closed his wings.

but if I try to pat him any other time, he turns into this --> :evil::evil::evil: and becomes decides mummies fingers aren't good things.

Why is he letting me half pat him??

linda040899
01-06-2009, 05:05 AM
Why is he letting me half pat him??
I'll bet the farm that Elmo is a she....... The wing spreading is soliciting which means that Elmo has reached sexual maturity. She likes to be patted and she's responding to your touch. You may want to pat her in a different manner, if you know what I mean. This is one of the few behaviors I've never seen a male display for a human.

momo
01-06-2009, 05:13 AM
oh no.. the only way I can pat elmo.. is when I'm turning her on.. i knew there had to be a catch!!!

wow so the wing spreading and holding it out.. even with a chirp is soliciting?

I wish I could pat elmo in a different way.. if I put my fingers else where I lose one... the back is the only place elmo will let me pat her.. now I understand why.... Here was me thinking that we were making progress. hahaahhaa

linda040899
01-06-2009, 05:37 AM
the only way I can pat elmo.. is when I'm turning her on..
~nods head in agreement~ :)

momo
01-06-2009, 05:41 AM
so if I can pat elmo now... by some stroke of luck.. all pats must be above the shoulders hahahahahahaha...

---
everytime I walk near elmo now the wings open.. this is a phase that will pass?

linda040899
01-06-2009, 07:51 AM
everytime I walk near elmo now the wings open.. this is a phase that will pass?
Once she realizes that you will not pat her in the manner you've done in the past, she may or may not modify the behavior. Chances are her hormones are in full swing right now so that's driving part of it, too.