PDA

View Full Version : Baby Bedtime

Flip
01-06-2009, 04:19 PM
So, it's been about 10 years since I've been around baby lovebirds, and I've forgotten what they're like. I'm having a really hard time getting Kiwi to go into her cage for bed. She's a little burrower (8 weeks old), and she launches herself further into my shirt whenever I try to take her out, whether for a potty break, just to kiss her on the beak, or to put her back in her cage. She's a fast little birdy, too, and is out of my hand before I can blink.

Does anyone have any tips for getting a baby bird to go to bed without resistance? (I know, it's like asking how you get your kids to go to bed). I work from home most days, and if I'm out it's usually for no more than 4 or 5 hours max. She's out with me the rest of the time, about an hour in the morning, and then 4 or 5 at night. She spends the entire time burrowed as deeply as she can go in my hoodie or under my shirt.

I am spending about 10-15 minutes sitting in the darkened bedroom cuddling with her and singing to her before I try to put her in her cage for bed, but she still resists! She makes little baby noises and burrows herself deeper into my shirt. I don't want to keep her up, waiting for her to get tired, but maybe that's what I need to do? She's such a tiny baby (maybe a "he"?). When I finally did get her into her cage tonight, she was hopping back and forth, desperate to get out again. Even with the light turned down! Silly little chicken.

http://myweb.dal.ca/~mg971395/Birds/kiwi_hood.jpg

thebubbleking
01-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Have a spacific treat or toy that is thier favorite and only put it in at bedtime and take it out before they sleep, worked for me:)

newloviemom
01-12-2009, 10:03 AM
What works for Skittles is his Play 'n' Snooze tent. I take it out in the morning and put it back in at night time. I originally got it as I was worried about him staying warm at night, and also as a "security blanket" for him. he still doesn't like to go back in his cage, but after a few minutes, he will go in his tent and quiet down and go to sleep for the night. I also cover his cage at night, also to keep drafts out if there are any.
Cindy

Chickobee
01-12-2009, 01:38 PM
When Pixie & Cricket were babies they each had a happy hut. In the evenings we would play with them and then they would snuggle into a towel and go to sleep while we watched TV. Then when we went to bed we would take each of them and poke them into their huts. Their cages were in the living room and the lights were off in there so there was only a little light coming from the adjoining room. They usually chirped a time or two and then were quiet, and they stayed in their huts.

When they were really little we had a nestbox for them and they were together in one cage. They would go right in it and go to sleep. We didn't use it very long though, and they needed to be in separate cages after a couple of months. Later we found out they were both females so that is why they didn't get along.

It sounds like your bird knows a good thing and prefers the warm coziness inside your collar! And, you are well on the way to being trained! Human = slave / Birdie = master. :rofl: