PDA

View Full Version : Training Help???

kikismom
01-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Hi, I am new, I have a 2 month old dutch blue named kiki, I just got her yesterday, She is fantastic, very healthy, sweet natured. But she isnt hand trained, and was not handfed. The breeder had kids in the house, so she's been handled, and will let you pick her up, but not without earsplitting chirps.

I've always grown up with birds, but my dad, who was a breeder didnt handle the birds we had much.

So I am wondering, what is the best way to train the lovebird so she stops flying off my hand?

I have taught her to stay on my finger, step up is catching on sorta, but Im afraid I may be doing it haphazardly, and just wondered if there is a technique I should be using?

BarbieH
01-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Some people find that trimming their flight feathers is a good way to get a bird to stay on you -- not a drastic trim, but enough so that they cannot sly upwards. Instead, they are able to glide safely to the ground.

Once a lovie catches onto the idea that you are their mode of transporation, they become quite good at driving you from their perch on your shoulder. :) You are necessary.

kikismom
01-11-2009, 03:22 PM
ha ha she is clipped, she is not finger trained though

Chickobee
01-11-2009, 04:28 PM
It sounds as if you have a good start on working with Kiki. It takes time for a bird to develop trust and to adjust to a new environment. As time goes by your relationship will grow stronger if you are patient and gentle. Your bird will train you and then you will be the slave! :rofl: I use treats for training, but after a while you won't need them.