PDA

View Full Version : Shreiking

wilkinsonc
01-14-2009, 08:43 AM
Hi,

I have 2 aprox 3yr old lovies, Bill And Peggy. Unfortunately my wife and I separated a few months back, and I took the birdies to my new place of residence. In our old appartment they used to chortle and cheep to each other. They were noisy, but it was bearable. After the move they have become almost unbearable. I talk to them, I take the cage to where I am sitting and they sit quite happily. Unfortunately I need some time of my own, and I barely get 15 minutes without this high alert, on the move, shrieking. As I say they are on high alert. I cannot locate any problem, Ive moved the cage, let them roam , left the radio on, left the radio off, changed their room. I have to shut 2 doors and the volume is still horrendous. I dont get it, they just freak out for ages and very raerely do the chortling thing any more. Somethings bothering or irritating them. they still groom each other and cuddle each other in those nice moments, but they seem so 'high' all the time. I really love them to bits but this insanity seems to be getting worse. I know they are noisy birds but I can hear them in my car park.

Any ideas what could be causing this ?

C

linda040899
01-14-2009, 09:30 AM
Where do you have their cage located? Could it be that they feel unsafe where they are now? Are they near a window where they could hear other birds and they are calling to them? Take a look at decor on the walls. Anything that might frighten them there? Believe it or now,some of my guys don't like ceiling fans!!!!! Which of you, you or your wife, was the preferred human? If that person is your wife, could they be calling for her? Although I would think that would have stopped very shortly after you moved.

wilkinsonc
01-14-2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. Its appreciated ! Yes, they are near a window, but in my previous appartment they were near a window. Ive looked around, Ive even put my head into the cage to see things from their perspective LOL, and I dont see anything obvious. There is an extractor fan, but I keep that off. After the outside birds are in their bed these 2 keep shrieking. I dont want to put the cover on as thats not the solution, but that shuts them up. My wife was their prefered person, however they were never that fussy. I suspect that they miss the hustle and bustle of the 3 of us (my step-daughter as well). However its this 'High alert' state that confuses me.

I would quite happily have them beside me when I come home from work, but then TV is very limited as they object to that as well. Its all quit random !

c

thebubbleking
01-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Hrmm i wish i could offer more advice other then birds pick up on our emotions and moods other then that be patient it will get better (all around)

momo
01-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Do they have their cage covered? are all four sides exposed. maybe you should try covering up three of them.. so it's not as if they feel vulnerable from all four sides. Maybe you should try moving their cage position so they can see out the window but aren't so close to them?

this might sound silly but how many toys do they have? Do you rotate them? Do they get out of cage time? Are they tame? Sorry for all the questions.. but the more information we have.. the better :)

I live on the third story.. and I can hear elmo when i am at the carpark too. their voices travel very well. :) Its strange, I will get out of my car and I can hear elmo calling out.

kk and tango
01-15-2009, 01:55 AM
sounds like your adjustment has been quite stressful. I had some experience moving my bird Tango from my parents place to my house after college and while he adjusted very well, the one thing he never got used to was having a light on when he was trying to sleep. At mom and dad's house he slept in the kitchen which was dark after 9pm. He would scream at us to turn off the light if we came in and woke him up--it was funny but man was it annoying sometimes. After he passed away I couldn't turn the light on in the bedroom at night without thinking to myself that i had to hurry up or "Tango's going to be really mad!"

that said, I would try a few things:

1) I like the other posters suggestion to cover part of their cage, but not all of it in case it is a comfort thing.

2) consider moving the cage to a less drafty area, maybe? (If it is indeed drafty--there were certain places in my old place neither of my birds wanted to be) Also, if your old place was carpet and you now have tile it could be the noise or environment seems different to them.

3) I would try to establish the most routine new schedule possible so they can start getting used to the new reality (i.e. bed time and feedings as routine as possible)

4) Examine the diet. Were they getting something different than they are now? Different type of food? You might try making sure they have different fruits, veggies and pasta or rice to munch on and play with as sometimes diet can make them a bit cranky and it might make them more distracted to have something different to eat.

6) It's not clear from your post either if they are tame enough to come out of their cages. If they are you can always get a playground or tree that can be kept in one of the other parts of the house to move them around.

7) It's possible they just need some downtime, too. Are you keeping them too close because you don't want them to scream or think they want more company? We helped my boyfriend's mom move and then had a long weekend where we were all home from work and the animals went nuts after a few days! The move wasn't that stressful, but man, they were used to a 9-5 break from all the humans and we were getting on their nerves! Of course if your daughter and wife were home all the time, the birds could be upset that you are gone during the day and reacting to that.

How long has it been? I generally find it takes about a week or so for the initial adjustment, though it can take longer with changes in the family structure.

wilkinsonc
01-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Hi again

Many thanks for your great replies. You have given me some great suggestions.

A bubbleking suggested, I think they pick up on a lot of bad vibes coming from me at the moment after my separation (4-5 months) . The cage has all 4 sides exposed although one side is against the wall. I get the feeling they hear the birds outside and this triggers a chain reaction of shrieking. Nothing much in their routine has been changed regards food, bedtime etc and the cage is located in a very similar place as it was previously.

I do think they miss my wife as she talked to them and herself whan she was home. I'm not so good in that department so i read them the horse racing form which seems to keep them happy.

Funnily enough since I originally wrote this I have moved them into my living room and they sit (very content) on the cage entrance looking at me leaning on each other on one leg making that happy crunching noise. They are much less squawky when they are with me and they are free to fly around when they are with me as well.

They are not tame in hat they can sit on your hand, however, but the female allows me to touch her with my nose, hes a bit more flighty and alert. Shes just a big softy and just adores Bill, although hes a bit more aloof and needs some time to himself. He doesnt always get it and I think thats another reason for the dreadful noise.

Now just as I am writing this they have had a squawking session and nothing in the room has changd but yet they are now sitting bolt upright and are looking around ? He's scratching and turning around and bobbing his head up and down and feeding her (mating ritual I believe). This will pass quickly but sometimes its all day!!!

They have plenty of toys she occasionally knaws at them, hes not bothered by them at all. Shes only worried about him, what hes doing and how to annoy him as much as possible.

They are trmendous company all the same, and I just hope that they are happy, although Ive no doubt that they are very healthy, if just very hyper.

Great web site

thanks

thebubbleking
01-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Feeding and beakgrinding are signs of contentment so far so good your on the right path!

momo
01-19-2009, 07:41 PM
I say you should let them walk around on your horse racing guide and wait til the do a poop and back that horse ;)!!

Bubblelady
01-20-2009, 12:25 AM
He's scratching and turning around and bobbing his head up and down and feeding her (mating ritual I believe).
You got that right :whistle:

sometimes its all day!!!
Yep, yep, that sounds right, too. They aren't called Lovebirds for nothing :rofl:

Shes only worried about him, what hes doing and how to annoy him as much as possible.
Yep, yep. You're batting a thousand!

They are trmendous company all the same,

You pass--with flying colors. See--you know more about lovies than you think you do:rotfl

[/QUOTE]