PDA

View Full Version : Which species of lovebird do you like best?

narai09
01-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Hi I am new here, but I just wanted to get an idea on how many people prefer peach faced, Fischer's, and masked lovebirds. I am planning to get a pair in June, but I can't decide which species I like best. My three favs are the most common, the masked, Fischer's, and the peach faced but I seem to like the peach faced more because of its cuteness and simple beauty---but my feelings and preferences keep changing. Any advice? SO, which lovebird do YOU like best?

LauraO
01-20-2009, 06:50 PM
Most of us on the board have Peachies. I would say it has a lot to do with availability rather than preference. Of course, I've had a few masked lovies over the years that I've absolutely loved. However, I prefer Peachies as they've always seemed to be a little less skittish and easier to build a relationship with. Of course, I say this with my favorite all time birdy friend being our late Zimberhoffen who was a blue masked lovie:whistle:.

Flapjack
01-20-2009, 06:51 PM
I think blue masked are so adorable! Fischer's are beautiful.

Personally, though, I prefer the peachies, because they tend to be less timid and flighty than the others.

I love the whitefaced blue and dark violet mutations best- of course, if red suffused lovies were anywhere to be found, that's the one I'd have!

maya_exquisite
01-20-2009, 07:06 PM
I love the whitefaced blue and dark violet mutations best- of course, if red suffused lovies were anywhere to be found, that's the one I'd have!

Tell me about it!! I found someone else on-line who just got a red suffusion lovebird!! There's no yellow on him/her like Hercules though. Just a normal Green with the red suffusion.

My preference is Peachfaced because I'm not a huge fan of the white eyering around the Masked/Fishers eyes. I also like the color mutations of PF's more than the other species. However, I would LOVE to have a slate Masked or Fisher's in the future (and the only lovebird my bf wouldn't mind having). I just love, love, love the black/white/gray!!

bookworm0550
01-20-2009, 09:51 PM
i have peachies. i like that they come in a rainbow of colors :) I didn't like the ring around the eyes of the other at first, but somehow I've fallen in love with the Fischers and want one. I think they're all beautiful actually.

HaleBoppPeachyluv
01-20-2009, 10:33 PM
most of my loves have been peachies or variations of... i also had 1 fischer who was my little man! I looooved him. When i hear that they're supposed to be skittish or fragile i always think no one told my Haley that! I still miss him. It took me 2 years after he flew away to rainbow bridge to bring home another fid.

Christian
01-20-2009, 11:59 PM
I have a black masked who is the light of my life! He is my first and only lovie so I really can't say what species I would prefer...but I have to disagree with some of the previous posters saying that masked are more timid and flighty. I have not had any of those problems with Boogs, though maybe I just got lucky, we developed a strong bond early on that seems to deepen everyday.
I think that no matter what species you have the little boogers steal your heart within a matter of minutes regardless.

newloviemom
01-21-2009, 12:17 AM
I loved my pallid peachface, Skittles. he had so many different colors in him that he reminded me of the tropical skittles candy. The other kind I like best is the little green parrotlet kind of lovebird:whistle:
Cindy

Kali
01-21-2009, 12:20 AM
I have only had Fischers, except an adorable Dutch Blue who literally just flew in one day, and we never found the owner.:(

We would have loved to keep it but didn't want to chance mixing the gene pool so we gave him to a friend who begged us for him.

I love all my Fischer fids but if starting over again would chose a peachface.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15252004@N04/3214123543/in/set-72157604224204940/

bbslovie
01-21-2009, 12:26 AM
[QUOTE=LauraO;129376]Of course, I say this with my favorite all time birdy friend being our late Zimberhoffen who was a blue masked lovie:

Laura, is there a story you can share with us about how Zimberhoffen's name came to be? That's just such a unique and incredible name! :)

As far as the original question goes I've had peachies and adore them! :happy:

Barb

bbslovie
01-21-2009, 12:27 AM
Of course, I say this with my favorite all time birdy friend being our late Zimberhoffen who was a blue masked lovie:whistle:.

Is there a story you can share with us about how Zimberhoffen's name came to be? It's just such a unique and incredible name!

As far as the original question goes I've had peachies and have adored them! :happy:

Barb

Chickobee
01-21-2009, 10:52 AM
I love my little peachies! They are always so entertaining and fun. I don't see how any other could be better! :whistle:

luluxoxo83
01-21-2009, 11:03 AM
I have two peachies and a dutch blue! My peachies seem to do better in the taming department.

Bubblelady
01-21-2009, 11:06 AM
I think it's a combination of the personality of the individual bird, the "fit" between the personalities of both bird & human, and the "eye of the beholder". With the exception of my peachfaced/masked hybrid, who was a rehomed baby (and gorgeous), my birds have all be the choosers and I have been the chosen. That is to say, when I was looking for a bird, the one who came home with me was the one who used it's powers of thought transference to say, "TAKE ME HOME! TAKE ME HOME!" I think birds who are skilled in mind control are the best "species" :rofl:

linda040899
01-21-2009, 11:16 AM
In my breeding career, I've owned and bred 5 of the 9 species of Lovebirds. My all time favorite is Abyssinian but there are not enough of them in the U.S. so they are not normally kept as pets. Fischer's are second on my favorites list, especially Blue Fischer's because of their personalities. It was a pair of semi-tame Blue Fischer's that succeeded in "fidnapping" an young Lutino Peachie that I was hand feeding and raising that baby from age 4.5 weeks through weaning!

It all started when they decided to "assist" my hand feeding activity and it wasn't very long before they took over! :lol The baby would sleep cuddled between them on a low perch and was just as contented as you please!

Eliza
01-21-2009, 04:55 PM
I love 'em all ;)

I've only had a peachie so I'd have to say they are my favorite for that reason alone :D

I'm rather fond of the eye-rings in general, though :)

Mummieeva
01-22-2009, 05:12 AM
I have had both Peachfaced and masked and love them all. My soft spot is for Violet lovebirds.

Steph

StormyMom
01-22-2009, 11:26 AM
I had wanted a masked lovebird, but couldnt find one at the time. I didnt know much about lovebirds at all, but when i found mine i was in LOVE. I may be baised, but id have to say mine is my favorite. I think his colors are absolutely stunning. I cant wait to see his first molt when he gets his white face! :D

Pips mom
01-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Seems peachies are winning in the poles here! I too like peachies the best! Just something so cute about them and for some reason I don't really like the look of the eye ring on lovies......I like the beady eyed look of the peachface.

Eliza
01-22-2009, 07:37 PM
I have had both Peachfaced and masked and love them all. My soft spot is for Violet lovebirds.

Steph

Who could blame you, Steph -- some of the photos of violet mutation lovies are STUNNING, masked and peachie both :omg: