PDA

View Full Version : Vegetable Bath

jknezek
08-05-2005, 10:16 AM
So I've had my 3 guys for 6 months now and have never been able to entice them into bathing. They are wild, so it's not like I can handle them and introduce them to faucets and showers. Instead, I've tried every kind of bowl, dish, cup etc. that I own filled with just about a half inch to an inch of water. No luck. Nothing. No interest. Zero. Yesterday, as I usually do at night, I threw a leaf of mustard green on top of the cage. They love it. Mustard green, cale, anything leafy and green. Of course I always rinse it and this leaf was dripping. Next thing I know, Odie is rolled up in it like a piece of sushi. I watched him grab the leaf with his beak, lay down and rollover and then get up and rub his chest on it until he was soaked. It had to have been one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Birdie Sushi... Who would of guessed? Of course, i thought I was so smart and went and got a shallow dish, filled it with a 1/2 of water and put the mustard green on top of it. Then Odie wouldn't touch it but Merry finally took a real bath...

BarbieH
08-05-2005, 10:19 AM
Bird sushi?? Man, even when they're not tame, these birds are a great source of entertainment! :lol :lol :lol

LauraO
08-05-2005, 11:06 AM
Hey! My lovie Babygirl takes Kale baths. It is so cute to watch. I've taken to wetting the kale down really good just to see how wet she can get.

Have you ever thougth your lovies take baths in their bowels when your gone for the day? Or have you ever thought of misting them with a spray bottle?

jknezek
08-05-2005, 11:08 AM
I always thought that maybe they took baths when I'm away but there is never any water splashings or feathers near the bowl. I suppose it's possible. I've come home during lunch a few times and not seen clues either. As for misting, I tried that once. They ran away from me faster than usual....

Janie
08-05-2005, 11:54 AM
I tried the vegetable bath with my non bather and it didn't work for me....I'm glad to hear that it did work with yours! :) I tried misting and even begging and pleading but I finally had to hold him in the sink (especially during molting) and make him take a bath. He doesn't seem to mind it too much anymore and I know he feels much better afterwards! He will dunk his head in his water dish but never any other part of his body so I just help him out a little bit! :D

My new boys are a different story! I put the bowl in their cage and they jump right in! Too cute! I love so see wet birdies! :)

BarbieH
08-05-2005, 12:13 PM
Janie, you may see a difference in Oliver's habits once he sees those new boys. :) If he sees them bathing, he may decide to do it to! *splish splash*

butterfly1061
08-05-2005, 12:17 PM
I agree with Barb! Molly always took a bath in the sink until Daisy & Piper came along. Now she takes a bath in her water dish or in a new water bowl (bigger) I just bought. They really do learn by watching others. Even works with food too. :D

sdgilley
08-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Birdie Sushi... Who would of guessed?
:rofl: :rofl:
That sounds quite funny! My birds like vegie baths, although they all bathe in different ways. Peter can squish his whole body one part at a time into his water dish! :lol Luka usually just gets his head wet in the dish..
Peepo bathes under the faucet everyday when I change their water dishes.
All three love drippy wet greens!

Janie
08-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Barb, I am so hopeful that Oliver will pick up some of the typical lovebird traits that these two are already showing! Just think, if they are good eaters, maybe Oliver will join in with that, too! :) And they are very happy with that unused cozy I've been hoping some little fid would use! :)
Maybe it will the the old "lovie see, lovie do" routine around here! :D

Buy A Paper Doll
08-05-2005, 05:13 PM
I'm thinking Sushi would be a cute name for a birdie ... :roll: