PDA

View Full Version : will Pan always be like this?

bookworm0550
01-26-2009, 10:24 PM
i wrote about pecking order already, but this kinda worries me. Well, we all know Pan's the new guy and the other two are more dominate than him. But everytime they are near him, whether it's to play, to chirp, or just to land near him, he whines and he bows down to them. I kid you not, he lowers his body and his head to them like he's bowing. He looks at them w/ a mixture of playfulness and wariness cuz he doesn't know which way they'll go.

My bf said he does it to show them that they are dominate and that he's not. I know Pan wants to be friends and he's very playful, but I can see that he's scared of them a bit and is trying very hard to make sure he's not crossing boundaries. My sweet sweet Pan. I hope he will not always bow down to them when they are near.

Has anyone ever seen anything like what I'm talking about? And how long this will go on? I hope w/ time he'll come out of it and stop bowing to them. My poor baby. If only he wasn't so scared of me, I'd wrap him in my hands and give him a million kisses so that he'd feel my love.

LauraO
01-27-2009, 09:46 AM
It sounds like Pan is not so much bowing to your other lovies, but trying to elicit some preens. This is not uncommon in young lovies who are around older ones. Over the years, I've noticed that preening behavior in young lovies is not only important, but something they spend a lot of time learning and doing.

As for as pecking order, your's will change a bunch over the next year as Pan and your other two lovies get older. Not only will the pecking order change, but I'm sure the pairings, etc. will change as well.

:)

bookworm0550
01-27-2009, 09:49 AM
pecking order changes? really? wow. Didn't know that. Yeah, i didn't think he might be wanting them to preen him.

LauraO
01-27-2009, 11:32 AM
pecking order changes? really? wow. Didn't know that. Yeah, i didn't think he might be wanting them to preen him.

I'm saying the pecking order will change due to your lovies being so young. Most pecking orders are based on pairing, breeding, and territory and most of my lovies have paired up when other birds are available before they are a year old.