PDA

View Full Version : Therapy Birds

Bubblelady
02-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Weekends at the nursing home just got a whole lot less stressful for me...I found out my babies are welcome :happy: So Saturday I had both my babies with me for my 10 hour shift w/ mom. The birdies didn't cheer mom up any but they did fantastic job on my morale! And we had lots of staff visitors throughout the day. One aide had sooooo many questions, took pictures, & finally brought me a note book & pen to write things down for her. She called her BF & informed him she wants a bird for Valintine's Day :rofl: He said he'll "think about it" but I don't think he has a chance. She clearly has been bitten by the birdie bug! I suggested a budgie as a first bird (she has a 4 yr. old and a 6 yr. old), and only after the fact thought of a 'tiel. I've never had a 'tiel so I tend to forget about them as good starter (and later) birds--sorry Boss & Woody :blush: Anyway, I steered her toward a pet shop that sells nothing butbirds & bird supplies & gave her my E-mail & a couple of web site (including this one, of course) and I'll probably see her next Saturday, too. Anyway, back to this weekend--I took my babies to the activity room & they stole the show. The residents smiled & laughed & and asked lots of questions & 2 of the braver ladies held Gussie. When asked who would like to hold Gussie, one sweet lady said, "Well, I'm a little afraid but I guess I'll try." Gussie sat on her arm & really checked the lady out. I explained that Gussie recognized her as a stranger but next time will know they have met before. The lady was transfixed by my baby & kept saying, "I had no idea!. I had no idea!" And I pointed out that Buddy shared a lot with them & is, for a bird, close to their age. I told them that she has arthritis so sits inside my shirt since she can't hold on anymore, has kidney problems, & is the birdie version of gray. They all sympathized with her & thought she is very sweet. After we left I heard the activity director commenting on the "Pet Therapy" they had today! I've always known that my birds are good therapy for me, but now it's official...they are Therapy Birds :rotfl Needless to say, they will be returning for another pet therapy session next Saturday :happy:

lemonypickett
02-02-2009, 01:21 PM
What a great story! I thought that would be fun to get involved with but worried about liability from a bird bite or scratch or something.

Leave it to me... take all the fun out of stuff by over thinking!

I wish I had been there for Therapy bird day. Can you take pictures next Sat. to share?

LauraO
02-02-2009, 02:55 PM
What a fun day! I know my birdies have always been therapeutic for me, and am happy to hear your birdies will be able to love up on a bunch of folks who can appreciate them:).

cp.lovebird
02-02-2009, 04:44 PM
That is great that the birds, you and the residents had a great time on Saturday. I used to work in a retirement home so I know how valuable Pet Therapy is!

michael
02-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Wonderful story! Great therapy too!.....Doesn't get much better knowing you can really brighten up some lives by just adding a little feathered help. Glad you shared this with us!..............:)

Buy A Paper Doll
02-02-2009, 06:40 PM
That's fantastic!! I'm so glad to hear you found a way to make caregiving less stressful. :)

My mom lives in a facility for Alzheimer's patients. Her dog (who lives with me) is a regular visitor, but every now and then I bring the birds. Milo will perch on my mom's finger and within minutes she's surrounded by staff and residents, all wanting to know about the bird. Both my mom and her 'grandbird' bask in the attention.

bookworm0550
02-02-2009, 07:26 PM
what an awesome story :) I wish I could do that w/ my trio, but they're all too young and like to test their limits so I'd rather not. You'll have to tell us how next saturday goes.

maya_exquisite
02-02-2009, 08:00 PM
That's awesome!! Isn't it great when you can have them around all the time?? I love having Mika and Kano with me at work... :)

wilkiecoco
02-03-2009, 08:37 AM
that is wonderful - I'm sure the patients at your mom's facility will love having them come around. they are sure to bring continued smiles to all the residents and staff!! :):)