PDA

View Full Version : bathroom time.

SillyFids
02-12-2009, 08:11 AM
I've read a lot that you should take your bird into the bathroom with you so you can train it - but what do you do with it when you're in there? My bird is still terrified of me so I don't know if it would be willing to be in an enclosed space with me at the moment! LOL, or do you start doing that when your bird is used to you?

Chickobee
02-12-2009, 11:43 AM
The bathroom was suggested because it tends to be the smallest room in most houses and has less new scarey things. Also, if your bird should get away, it is pretty easy to catch it again in this smaller space.

I sometimes do training in my bathroom because it gets the bird away from the rest of the flock. When I try doing any training in the living room where all of the other birds are it will be trying to visit them instead.

When I am trying to train a bird I speak softly and offer them a bit of millet. (Note: I save this as a treat and don't offer it in their food dishes in their cages. A stuffed bird won't be interested in treats from your hand.) I have started by offering it with my hand at their cage door and waiting for them to come forward rather than chasing them around with it--which doesn't work! (I tried that with my first untame birds. :whistle:)

You will want to move very slowly and be gentle. Young birds generally do not bite, or at least not hard. I have found that I have more success with repeated short training sessions than I do with longer ones.

As your bird begins to trust you and you become more familiar with your bird you can begin teaching it to step up onto your finger or hand. I do repeated step ups from one hand to the other and say "up" each time. I also praise the bird a lot after it does it each time.

What you are already doing sitting by the cage and talking to your bird is wonderful. As you get to know it better you will know what treats to offer. As you build trust it will want to come out to be with you--maybe even more than you want! :) Eating together is good!

SillyFids
02-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks chickobee, thats great advice! Yea when I come by my loveys cage now he doesnt chirp at me and generally doesnt try to fly away which is good! Usually he'd freak out on me, but it's only been a day - I can be patient!!

bookworm0550
02-12-2009, 06:27 PM
sometimes i just sit there w/ treats or a few toys if my new bird wants to play. i don't do anything special, just hang out. most of the time, they just sit on my head or shoulders and we look at each other. i talk to him/her and try to pet them if they will let me. good luck. i know, it's the biggest test of mypatience

Mydoona
02-13-2009, 03:04 PM
my bathroom is all mirrors and tile so probably not the best place to take a frightened bird.

LovelySydney
02-16-2009, 12:11 PM
I wish I could do this but I don't have a bathtub = ( Just a tall shower.

michael
02-16-2009, 03:04 PM
I've read a lot that you should take your bird into the bathroom with you so you can train it - but what do you do with it when you're in there? My bird is still terrified of me so I don't know if it would be willing to be in an enclosed space with me at the moment! LOL, or do you start doing that when your bird is used to you?

While I agree its much easier to catch birds in a smaller area, I would hate to think bathrooms are the best choice. Lets face it, bathrooms are not always the cleanest places, especially for a terrified bird who may end up mopping up the floor. Really, i'm not sure you'd end up that much farther ahead as opposed to first "building trust" in an otherwise cleaner environment. Besides, the cleaner environment is where their likely to spend most their time anyways. I could understand though Linda's (chickobee) method of individual bathroom training, as should there be little to no other alternative, for a bird who has already accomplished "step up", that would be fine. Or for that matter, for one who might enjoy a quickie shower (without soap). Problem with that, is getting your bird back to his cage while running stark naked through the house just so you could go back and take yours.

Bathtubs, on the other hand, are for those birds who (lets say after several months) are well beyond steadfasty exercising their freedom of choice. As for the chances of your bird falling into that catagory. Maybe 1 in a quarter million?........Ok...well...its just a guess..............:roll:

MariefromCanada
02-17-2009, 09:32 AM
For some time now, Kiki has started following me when I am about ready to go in the bathtub. He goes on the edges and waits till I give the signal to come. He then jumps on my leg and splashes himself with water. I guess he wants to do the same things as mommy does

michael
02-17-2009, 11:28 AM
For some time now, Kiki has started following me when I am about ready to go in the bathtub. He goes on the edges and waits till I give the signal to come. He then jumps on my leg and splashes himself with water. I guess he wants to do the same things as mommy does

Yup Yup....I had a litlle follower at one time too.......:rolleyes:.......First he was on the bath towels, then the shower curtain rod, then the window sill (its situated in the shower stall :roll:), then finally on my shoulder where he decided to grab a few showering tips. Problems soon arose though when he got so bold as to fly in on his own the moment I turned on the shower head resulting in a thoroughly waterlogged lovie who needed emergency rescue. Needless to say, it was kinda nice getting my 10 minute shower routine back as opposed to the 40 minute version.

If I got time, I still sneak him in every now and then......:whistle:......But thats it! I swear!

LovelySydney
02-18-2009, 11:55 AM
I have found that even in a few short days my bird is responding the best when I just include him in what I am doing. If Im in the computer room I bring his stand and he is there with me. I was doing the dishes this afternoon and he watched, then in the living room he's on top of his cage hanging out. It has made him eager to jump on my shoulder because he knows were going somewhere! Plus he gets to explore when were in that room. If I had a bathtub & bigger bathroom I might have used that method but as someone said, bathrooms are kinda gross - so my method is working just fine!!