PDA

View Full Version : So im thinking of getting a friend..

StormyMom
02-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Not a for sure thing yet, but i feel like Stormy is really lonely. Hes always trying to cling onto my Quaker, always trying to call out for other birds (its obvious he doesnt really want to be with me)

So heres what i was thinking. Theres a breeder not to far from me, who claims her lovies are very sweet, handraised, and arent skittish in the least. I was thinking maybe after quarantine, to bring him/her out, and maybe seeing that lovie with me, Stormy will want to come over. (he usually does with Mika)

Id have to get Stormy DNA tested first. I wouldnt mind a male/female or 2 males, but im afraid of getting 2 females.

So everyone with multiple lovies, what do you think the chances of them getting along are? I know how lovies are super affectionate. Do you think if i were to get another one theres a chance theyd hate each other?

BarbieH
02-19-2009, 12:27 PM
There's always that chance. But there's only one way to find out. :)

I've found that the birds who were skittish, did much better after they saw a socialized bird interact with us humans. Samson is my good will ambassador.

If the birds don't get along at first, don't give up. Place their cages next to each other (after quarantine) and let them get used to the sight and sound of each other. At the worst, you will have two individually caged lovebirds. And your lone lovie will still have another lovebird to talk to and make faces at.

StormyMom
02-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Yeah thats what im thinking. Because i notice when my Quaker is with us (whos almost a velcro bird to me and my husband) Stormy will try and come over. But thats the only way. He seems to be trying to cling himself to my other birds, first a Tiel, then Mika, and theyre all just not as "cuddly and snuggly" as he is. So im thinking another tame lovie might be our best bet. I dont mind having 2 cages..so that wouldnt be a problem.

LOL at making faces.

BarbieH
02-19-2009, 01:15 PM
I have all of my boys in cages next to each other. They run back and forth, bob the heads back and forth, and I swear I've seen Didgit sticking his tongue out at Sammy :nyah: (and visa versa). :nyah: They could never live together (Didgit now lives with Bosco), but I think they all enjoy the company.

bookworm0550
02-19-2009, 06:21 PM
if you want another lovie, i don't see why not, but if they'll like each other? it's up to them. good luck :) joey and evie liked one another right away, but w/ Pan, it took some time for Joey to come around. Evie...I don't know if she'll ever like Pan. And I don't know if pan will ever like her either, but i think he likes her more than she likes him. oh well, they both have joey.