PDA

View Full Version : home from the vet

jimpierce
02-20-2009, 02:33 PM
We are home and the news so far is not real good. His gram stain was clear. It really wasn't a problem before either. At least he won't be on anti-biotics for now.
He has gotten to the point of "razor keel". He is wasting away. What ever the swelling is in his abdomen is making me wonder what his weight loss really is.
41g after eating at the vets office. 45g has been his regular weight for ever.
I will get the results tomorrow from the blood work. To know whether or not to keep giving him lactulose/milk thistle twice a day or back off to once a day.
The vet, Dr. Wells this time, was very good about asking about his "quality of life" I don't want to be with out Benji yet. But my selfishness does not out weigh my humane beliefs. For now though, I still hope that just maybe my little man will pull threw.

Pips mom
02-20-2009, 03:00 PM
I am sorry it's not the best news you could hope for. We'll all be hoping for and thinking about Benji and wishing him the best. :grouphug::pray:

wilkiecoco
02-20-2009, 04:44 PM
What a difficult time this is for you - maybe Benji will get some helpful news with regard to his blood test, something that will help him get better. Meanwhile, I am thinking of the two of you, and sending hugs and good thoughts.

bookworm0550
02-20-2009, 04:45 PM
i'm sorry about the bad news and hope benji will pull through too

Bubblelady
02-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Oh no! This is not the way it is supposed to be. :( Benji and you are in our prayers. :grouphug:

thebubbleking
02-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Peeping you in our prayers!

cp.lovebird
02-20-2009, 06:29 PM
I am sorry the news is not good. I am thinking of you and Benji and hoping that he will get better soon.

bbslovie
02-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Hi Jim, hugs, thoughts and prayers for Benji. I just hope there is something they can find to help the little guy!

Barb

Janie
02-20-2009, 07:11 PM
(((((Benji & Jim)))))

Best thoughts to both of you, Jim.

michael
02-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Sending triple thoughts and prayers for your precious Benji.

Eliza
02-20-2009, 07:44 PM
You know that I have sweet Benji in my thoughts, Jim.

((((HUGS))))

HaleBoppPeachyluv
02-20-2009, 08:31 PM
prayers and fuzzies and warm skritches! hope that thing move more positively...

Enko_chan
02-20-2009, 09:24 PM
You're in our thoughts & prayers.

LovelySydney
02-21-2009, 09:33 AM
I hope Benji comes out of this ok - my thoughts are with you both.

jimpierce
02-21-2009, 06:27 PM
I heard back from the vet and Benji's bile acids are back to normal. This means that for all intent and purpose, Benji is a healthy bird. A healthy bird with a grossly enlarged liver.

So, now I'm even more confused then ever!! I was told to reduce the lactulose/milk thistle to once a day. I am going to go ahead and add aloe detox to his water.
As I have to be told "he has______________" I guess I'm going to try to pin them down.

linda040899
02-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Jim,
If Benji has been on antibiotics, add a probiotic to his food to help repopulate the gut with good bacteria. I would also add a tiny pinch of Prozyme to his food to help pre-digest it so that his liver doesn't have to work so hard. Along with the aloe detox, the liver will have a chance to cleanse and heal itself.

I've proven my avian vet wrong a few times by using holistic treatments!

LauraO
02-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Jim. I am sorry to hear Benji's health is still up in the air. I have had two lovies over the years who have contracted and passed from liver disease. However, both were able to live for over a year after their original diagnosis. Their condition got worse over time and the lovies slowed down but I don't think either suffered though they obriously didn't feel well. I have known others who's birds live even longer with the condition.

I agree with Linda' suggestions and think the aloe detox should be added daily to Benji's water.

Good luck and know that we are hoping only the best for Benji!

jimpierce
02-22-2009, 11:57 PM
I made a whole new mash just for Benji. Of course Cricket will get to eat it too and Sophie already gave it a butts up review. lol
I got it here

http://newyorkbirds.net/fatty_liver_diet.html

bookworm0550
02-23-2009, 12:26 AM
hey, that's an awesome website. thanks for sharing. hope benji's feeling better.

newloviemom
02-23-2009, 08:59 AM
Hi Jim--

I too am keeping you and your little Benji in my thoughts and prayers!! You are such a devoted papa to all of your fids!! I'm sure your little guy can feel your love for him, and that will help with his healing too!!

jimpierce
02-25-2009, 12:36 AM
I e-mailed my vet to ask what, why, how about Benji hoping to clarify things for myself.
I had already done this math in my head but I guess I needed somebody to actually say it.
If his liver is working normal the problem may not be his liver. Tumor. Here is her response.

Hi Jim-
I see Benji came in and saw Dr. Wells on Friday and the Bile acids was normal. I hate to say it but that makes me think that this is a tumor as the liver does not appear actively infected. The only way to confirm this would be an endoscopic biopsy of the liver or whatever the mass is that we're feeling in his belly. At this point, that is probably the next step. It does pose risk so I hadn't suggested it sooner but Benji is not improving. Please call if you'd like to schedule this and we can talk more.
Dr. Shannon Thomas

Bubblelady
02-25-2009, 12:49 AM
I hate to say it but that makes me think that this is a tumor as the liver does not appear actively infected. The only way to confirm this would be an endoscopic biopsy of the liver or whatever the mass is that we're feeling in his belly. At this point, that is probably the next step.

:(
I sooooo don't want to hear this. Not that you do, either. Keep us posted. And we will keep you and Benji in our hearts & our prayers. :grouphug:

jimpierce
02-25-2009, 12:51 AM
thank you. I will be calling tomorrow.

linda040899
02-25-2009, 02:49 AM
Sorry to hear this, Jim. :( Tough call.

Enko_chan
02-25-2009, 09:12 AM
We are praying for you and Benji, Jim.

(((((((((((((Jim, Benji))))))))))))))

Chickobee
02-25-2009, 10:06 AM
Jim;

Sometimes life is not very easy and we always wish there was something we could do to change things...

You and Benji are in my thoughts and prayers.

:grouphug:

Janie
02-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Jim, I'm so sorry to hear this. :very_sad:

wilkiecoco
02-25-2009, 11:39 AM
what a difficult decision :( - please know that you and Benji are in my thoughts, and I'm sending continued prayers your way. :grouphug:

Kathryn
02-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Thoughts and prayers for both you and Benji.