PDA

View Full Version : beak rubbing.

LovelySydney
02-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Gus has been vigorously rubbing his beak on his wooden perches and I know he's trying to sharpen it, but what can I get that would aid in this process? I feel like the wood perch doesnt do much for his beak.

Chickobee
02-25-2009, 04:12 PM
Are you sure he's not trying to clean food off of his beak? My birds do that when they have bits of food dried onto their beaks, or they rub it onto my shirt...

kimsbirds
02-25-2009, 05:22 PM
Yep, he's actually cleaning/polishing his beak. Nothing to do with sharpening it :)
It's funny to watch them..isn't it?

LovelySydney
02-25-2009, 05:35 PM
So then it's OK that he does it wherever? I guess if he's just cleaning it than it doesn't matter where it is. It is cute to watch though!!

Enko_chan
02-25-2009, 08:09 PM
I agree with the others, he's probably cleaning.

I have a sand perch for keeping nails and beaks trimmed. I'm not sure if I'm on point with this, but I think the sand perches are probably better for the birds than the cement ones. Cement is hygroscopic (water seeking) and it seems like it would draw moisture from the birds' feet. I know it isn't the best thing for peoples' bare skin to spend a lot of time in contact with cement, so I've taken that reasoning to assume something similar for birds. I may be way off-base, though. My birdies have always liked their sand perches. They come in a range of pricy to less pricy ones. My lovie-sized one cost about $4. Some of them cost a LOT more.

If anyone has more info on sand and cement perches, feel free to jump in here!

momo
02-26-2009, 06:11 AM
Elmo does it all the time. on her water bowl.. on her branches.. on me.. on anything she can get her beak on. :)

Shes got all the special perches. but she actually prefers her food bowls!