PDA

View Full Version : dutch blue.

LovelySydney
02-27-2009, 05:32 PM
I was just looking online at photos and am kind of confused.

A dutch blue lovebird looks gray and blue when it is a baby correct? And then when it grows up what colors does it become? When I googled it it shows almost a green/bluish body, whitish face and peachy forehead. Is this standard for what they look like as adults? Or is that a diff. mutation? It just seems like such a color difference from a baby! I found other birds that look just like a dutch blue but then the caption will say it is another type of lovebird. I also looked up Maya's bird and thats what it looks like but I don't think hers is only dutch blue?

Yeesh Im confused!!! LOL lovebird coloring is HARD!!:blush:

bookworm0550
02-27-2009, 05:58 PM
I found other birds that look just like a dutch blue but then the caption will say it is another type of lovebird.

AMEN!!! I agree. i've never seen a dutch blue in life so i have no idea

LovelySydney
02-27-2009, 06:00 PM
you know bookworm I was thinking of you when I wrote this post!:)

I thought joey was a dutch blue because when I looked up 'dutch blue lovebird' online the pictures that came up look JUST like joey. But I don't think you say he's dutch blue right??

it's all so confusing!!!

bookworm0550
02-27-2009, 06:11 PM
yeah, he's not a Dutch Blue at all. He's a seagreen. If you saw him in real life, he's not as "green" as the photos I have of him are. He's darker than green and he really is just a normal seagreen guy though i have been told that he carries one gene for Dutch Blue and one gene for Whiteface Blue.

bookworm0550
02-27-2009, 06:13 PM
i really wish i could see a dutch blue in person. then i think i would be able to tell the difference

maya_exquisite
02-27-2009, 06:34 PM
Mika is a Dutch Blue Violet Edged Dilute, but because of the ED the Dutch Blue is light greenish (I can't even describe the color) and the Violet is periwinkle.

Dutch Blues are more "blue" compared to Seagreens, but it's really hard because sometimes a Seagreen will be more blue or a Dutch Blue will be more green. :rotfl One of the things to look for is beak color. Dutch Blue has an all horn color and Seagreen starts off pink and ends horn. Also the bib of the Dutch Blue is a soft apricot cream type color while the Seagreen is just cream color.

From what I was told, though, after about five years the two-toned beak of a Seagreen will turn all horn color. If I can't tell immediately by the beak, I have a hard time telling between Dutch Blue and Seagreen - especially when there are other mutations involved!!

Mika's mom was a Dark Factor Dutch Blue Violet, but the photo I have of her is sooooooooooo cruddy.

With the other Dutch Blue babies Mika's mom has had, the baby color was pretty much almost the same as adult coloring as far as the body goes. Unfortunately I don't remember the face part too much... I have a horrible memory.

LovelySydney
02-27-2009, 07:14 PM
Yea I keep googling 'dutch blue lovebird' and keep coming up with results that look exactly like Mika (mayas bird) and Joey (bookworms bird).

I guess we shall never know! I'm gonna search the board for some photos.

cp.lovebird
02-27-2009, 08:27 PM
I am a bit confused too. I always thought my hen, Blue Meanie, was a dutch blue. But now that I know a bit more about mutations, I think she may have been a seagreen. Her "bib" looks more white than apricot coloured.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/PharmTech/PICT1630.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/PharmTech/PICT1623.jpg

What do you guys think?

maya - my Ducky is also an edged dilute blue series lovie too! He looks more lime coloured than Mika. He has no violet - mostly grey on his tail with a bit of blue on the tips.

So many colours of lovies. :confused:

luluxoxo83
02-27-2009, 08:35 PM
Hi ya'll My sky is a dutch blue (aqua)

the yellow feathers on his back are just random yellow feathers....the vet said its very rare in dutch blue.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j265/luvbug0883/MomUnclePepeVisit133.jpg

Sky is in the middle.....here he is with Shiloh and Honeydew....My two babies that flew to rainbow bridge.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j265/luvbug0883/005.jpg

Hope this helps.

LovelySydney
02-27-2009, 08:51 PM
oh lulu sky is beautiful! and yes, that is exactly what I get when I google dutch blue so I suppose you win! lol - I'm learning from this that there are just many diff. types of dutch blues that are out there.

maya_exquisite
02-27-2009, 09:03 PM
I am a bit confused too. I always thought my hen, Blue Meanie, was a dutch blue. But now that I know a bit more about mutations, I think she may have been a seagreen. Her "bib" looks more white than apricot coloured.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/PharmTech/PICT1630.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/PharmTech/PICT1623.jpg

What do you guys think?

maya - my Ducky is also an edged dilute blue series lovie too! He looks more lime coloured than Mika. He has no violet - mostly grey on his tail with a bit of blue on the tips.

So many colours of lovies. :confused:

The bib isn't going to really look apricot... it's very light. How old was Blue Meanie when you took those pictures, 'cause from the beak it looks like she is Dutch Blue. Flash also plays tricks with their feather colors...

I want to see pictures of Ducky!! There aren't many Edged Dilutes out there and I've only seem photos of about two or three others.

Edit: Nevermind, I did a search for photos of Ducky!! Absolutely adorable!! Ducky is a Seagreen Edged Dilute, which is why he's lighter than Mika. I wanna steal Ducky from you!!

maya_exquisite
02-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Hi ya'll My sky is a dutch blue (aqua)

the yellow feathers on his back are just random yellow feathers....the vet said its very rare in dutch blue.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j265/luvbug0883/MomUnclePepeVisit133.jpg

Sky is in the middle.....here he is with Shiloh and Honeydew....My two babies that flew to rainbow bridge.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j265/luvbug0883/005.jpg

Hope this helps.

Huh?? If there are random yellow feathers, it means it's a Pied. So you have a Dutch Blue Pied. The way the feathers are placed are quite interesting, like a collar. Also, Sky is a single dark factor.

Pips mom
02-27-2009, 10:44 PM
Pip supposedly is a dutch blue, although his bib is very much a cream color and not even a hint of any other color to it. He has the dutch blue beak though.....it's always been one solid color.

maya_exquisite
02-27-2009, 10:52 PM
Pip is Seagreen from what I see in your photo album. His beak isn't horn colored like Mika and Kano. It's more pinkish than anything.

StormyMom
02-28-2009, 12:19 AM
*Stands back and watches*

If i dont write down what mine are I dont even know THERES. LOL. I find lovie mutation very hard and confusing :(

maya_exquisite
02-28-2009, 12:29 AM
It is. There are still mutations out there that I find confusing, mainly because I can't see them firsthand to compare and experience. I'm definitely still learning, but getting the hang of it!!

cp.lovebird
02-28-2009, 07:49 PM
Maya - Blue Meanie was probably about 12 years old when that picture was taken. Maybe she really was a Dutch Blue afterall.

Thanks for the info on Ducky's colour mutation. The vet told me he doesn't see many lovebirds that colour.

Hey, I want to steal Mika from you! I'm sure Ducky would love her and I don't mind going to Hawaii for a fidnapping! :rofl:

maya_exquisite
02-28-2009, 09:56 PM
You will never steal my Mika from me!! Hahahaha!! He'd be miserable anyway, 'cause he doesn't like anyone else but me. Do you really want to make such a beauty miserable? Well, DO YOU?? :rotfl :rofl:

bookworm0550
02-28-2009, 10:13 PM
Hey, I want to steal Mika from you! I'm sure Ducky would love her and I don't mind going to Hawaii for a fidnapping!

I'm there!!!!!!

maya_exquisite
02-28-2009, 10:15 PM
^ Imma pinch you! Don't egg her on!! :rotfl

Don't be surprised when Evie is missing then. :whistle:

bookworm0550
02-28-2009, 10:33 PM
lol, that's a yes to a trade then? LOL, Just kidding!!!!!! I don't think Mika would like it here anyway. He would ask me if he can go outside and i'll have to laugh, "where do you think you are? Hawaii?"

maya_exquisite
02-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Hahahahahaha!! EXACTLY!! He'll be like, "Where's the sunshine? Why am I not allowed outside? What's this white stuff that's cold - I don't like it!!"

Pips mom
02-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Ya know.....I should really try to find out where Pip came from and what his parents were. Pip's previous owner got him from this small pet store nearby......they usually only have budgies and a cockatiel or two, but once in a while they get some lovie babies.....they actually have two of them last time I was there. I wonder if they have any records from when Pip was there. I know they told me last time they had lovie babies that they got them from some people who's lovies had babies......so I often wonder when I see lovie babies there if any of them are related to Pip or maybe came from the same pair, since the lovies they get are local, but I never see any babies there that look like Pip.....only the green with red face and yellow with a red face. I'll have to ask them next time I'm in there if they can find out where Pip came from......then maybe I can know for sure that Pip is a dutch blue.

bookworm0550
02-28-2009, 10:58 PM
Hahahahahaha!! EXACTLY!! He'll be like, "Where's the sunshine? Why am I not allowed outside? What's this white stuff that's cold - I don't like it!!"

LOL, I know, and during the summer, he'll be like, "geez, do you guys not get breezes here? The air's not moving!!!"

Oh yeah, dutch blue and seagreen. i'm assuming these two colors are...not popular, but....what's the word i'm looking for...well, there must be a lot of lovies w/ these two colors around. Or no?

cp.lovebird
03-01-2009, 08:05 AM
:( Well I guess Mika would really hate it up here in Canada. Looks like he is safe in Hawaii (for now!)

maya_exquisite
03-01-2009, 05:30 PM
As BEAUTIFUL as Canada is (I went to Barrie before - STUNNING), Mika is fine here with his mommykins!!

What? What's that, Mika?? Oh, okay. I'll tell them...

He said, "I ain't goin' nowheres!!" :whistle: