PDA

View Full Version : just wondering......

LovelySydney
03-09-2009, 11:02 PM
I know there's no such thing as a stupid question but.....

what's the difference between a lovebird and a parrotlet? (besides the oibvious colors/mutations) I have been looking them up learning about them and I'm just curious about them.

Also, if you had a lovebird and got another lovebird I know they could eventually be caged together, but could you do that with a parrotlet as well?

and no, I'm not going out and getting a parrotlet........yet:blush:

linda040899
03-10-2009, 01:27 AM
Lovebirds and Parrotlets are both parrots. Lovebirds are native to Africa, while Parrotlets are native to South America. Parrotlets are the smallest members of the Amazon family. They are also the smallest parrot and are not parakeets, as they have short tails. Parrotlets are actually smaller than Budgies.

Two lovebirds being caged/housed together is dependent on the two birds involved. Some will enjoy living together, while others don't want to have anything to do with each other. Ditto with any bird. I let my birds make that decision when I think about who is going to live with who.

LovelySydney
03-10-2009, 11:25 AM
thanks linda - i see they are considerably more expensive than lovebirds as well. The average I found was between $150-200 dollars.

StormyMom
03-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Yep, theyre considered the smallest parrot. The first time i found one in a petstore i was shocked by the price. 200 bucks! According the the lady, theyre just not as popular as other birds, but now everyone is starting to know/hear about them. And with their size i guess theyre in high demand? Theyre cute, but ill stick with my lovies :D lol