PDA

View Full Version : One Stone with Two Birds?

OwenL
03-13-2009, 02:33 PM
I don't know if this has been repeatedly addressed but I was curious to know if it's possible to tame two 8 week old lovebirds together? I couldn't help myself and pick up two more babies from my breeder friend. Background on these guys: They are from separate batches of babies from different parents but hatched almost the same time. They are 8 weeks old and have been hand-fed with 5 other baby lovies. They've had lots of contact with kids ages 4 and under as the breeder socializes his birds with his children.

My main question is if it's possible to keep the two babies in the same cage and keep them tame at the same time or at least work on taming them? Right now they are barely settling into the house and the environment. They don't bite and 1 of them has a really cuddly personality. Can anyone advise?

linda040899
03-13-2009, 02:44 PM
Tameness with lovebirds equates back to just one thing: attention. If they are used to attention and you continue to handle them both, you will continue to have tame lovies.

Lovebirds are extremely social and will eagerly take all the love, kindness and handling you can give them. I have several cages of pet lovebirds and all come flying as soon as I open the cage doors!

LovelySydney
03-13-2009, 05:33 PM
I haven't done this before but I would figure continuous, constant attention and affection. I believe I read that lovebirds can backtrack in behavior rather quickly if it isn't reinforced, so make sure you keep loving them and giving them attention and they should remain tame and cuddly = )

that is, unless you have a hen and then tame and cuddly until egg laying time comes around, lol!