PDA

View Full Version : uh oh, a potential escape artist

bookworm0550
03-16-2009, 09:02 PM
this weekend, joey was lifting his sliding food door up and down, letting it bang. i think he was trying to get my attention cuz my bf brought his new puppy over and i was paying attention to the puppy instead. he hasn't done it since, but when he was doing it, all attention was on him and i think it made a lightbulb go over his lovebird head. the last thing i need is to come home and find joey dehydrated and hungry. worse, hurt.

momo
03-16-2009, 09:23 PM
Elmo does the door slamming thing, I just put pegs on them. I know she wants to come out when she does that. Or she just enjoys the sound and she's a sadist I'm not sure which one yet. lol.

Angelic vampyre
03-16-2009, 09:33 PM
I had a Budgie that could escape for anything! it got to the point where I would make his room as Bird friendly as possible and on top of his cage he had a bowl of seed and water which he used when he had out of the cage time. This way when he got out I know that he could at least get to food and water.

thebubbleking
03-16-2009, 09:49 PM
I use twine on the doors i dont use and plastic clothes clips the large ones on the doors i do just make sure the clothes pin doesnt have a spring they can get a toe or nail cought in.

Angelic vampyre
03-16-2009, 09:56 PM
Bread clips work well.

Flapjack
03-16-2009, 10:07 PM
I use the little butterfly hair clips. Lots of folks use caribiners (sp) or zip ties.

bookworm0550
03-16-2009, 10:11 PM
butterfly hair clips?? they still make those?

StormyMom
03-16-2009, 10:23 PM
Stormy does the same thing with the doors. I have to get some clips for mine as well.

FuzzyAga
03-16-2009, 10:38 PM
When Juanita wants out, she screams a loud, "out-out!"

As part of her training, before I let her out of their cage, I would ask in a high-pitched voice, "Out? Out? Out? Out?" and reach for the cage door. I wanted them to associate the word with the reward of the door opening.

Juanita quickly picked up the word and now uses it. I'm not sure it's a good thing, though, because it's yet one more thing to which I'm a slave.:)

Petey doesn't say much; instead, he bangs his boing against the side of the cage when he wants out because that's the way he trained me to come running to let him out.

I'm glad they're trying to communicate.

momo
03-17-2009, 12:30 AM
FuzzyAga you're game teaching a bird to command to you have out of cage time ;).. I know if I taught elmo that she'd be constantly doing what ever the cue is!

I wouldn't use wooden pegs, as thebubbleking mentioned, I use plastic ones too. I used to use wooden pegs until I found one day she had CHEWED the whole peg into tiny little pieces..

Yep, they still make butterfly clips, my three year old niece loves them.. to pieces..

Angelic vampyre
03-17-2009, 02:02 AM
My Elmo says out when he wants out of his cage

linda040899
03-17-2009, 04:05 AM
Metal belt loop clips, the clips you use to attach keys to belt loops of jeans, work well to keep doors closed. I have enough here to start my own store!

Pips mom
03-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Pip also does this and lifts his front door of his cage when he wants to make sure we KNOW he wants out! He also beats up his toys and shakes anything that makes noise!

FuzzyAga
03-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Momo--I was a bit naive teaching Juanita the out command. LOL. I see the errors of my ways. :)

momo
03-18-2009, 06:26 AM
Momo--I was a bit naive teaching Juanita the out command. LOL. I see the errors of my ways. :)

LOL when she starts screaming at you ;)

I guess in a way i've taught elmo that cage door banging is sometimes a cue for out time.. though i try to wait until she calms down and then open the door..