PDA

View Full Version : beak growing/shedding?

LovelySydney
03-25-2009, 06:29 PM
Oh boy this is going to be hard to explain.

Gus's beak is getting longer but it almost looks like the bottom part is thinner and lighter than the upper 75%. I guess the best way to explain it would be if the very top layer of your fingernail came off but your nail is still intact, just a thinner part of the nail is left.

Does that make sense? Anyway, Im wondering what this is due to, or if I should get Gus's beak ground down, or if this is normal. I really have no idea. I tried to take a picture but they are way too fuzzy to even see what I am talking about.

thanks.

Enko_chan
03-25-2009, 06:57 PM
My birds trim their beaks and nails meticulously on their sand perch. I put in as big a variety of different perches for them to stretch out their feet and clean their beaks after eating... but they really do use that sand perch frequently to keep themselves properly trimmed.

If it continues to be a problem, you may want to have him looked at, a beak growing out of control can be symptomatic of underlying health issues.

LovelySydney
03-25-2009, 07:00 PM
Oh man I read your posts and saw "underlying health issues" and my stomach dropped. Hopefully that is not the case. He is constantly rubbing his beak and chewing on toys and being active with his beak, so I hope this is not something too serious.

Enko_chan
03-25-2009, 07:17 PM
Don't get me wrong- beaks grow! If they don't have a cement perch or sand perch (I personally prefer sand) to trim themselves on, they may need to be trimmed. If you don't have one of those, I'd recommend trying one out before you worry too much about it.

LovelySydney
03-26-2009, 09:46 AM
I don't have a sand perch...I had the sand covers for the perches that came to my cage but they turned a lot and poor Gus couldn't really sit on them without it rolling around the perch. Im going to look into getting one...thanks!!

Flapjack
03-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Yep- a sand perch might help. These are made so that the sand doesn't come off. All my birds have them, and are always polishing their beaks.

It's good that you took the sand "covers" away. They are made of sand glued to paper and can be ingested.

I'm sure, if you get one, he'll be shiny and smooth in no time. :)

momo
03-26-2009, 07:40 PM
I found when Elmo was going through her molt her beak looked terrible.. like you have pulled off a layer of your nail. She also got into chewing her tree branches ALOT and I think that caused a bit of it now. Now she is nearly done with your molt her beak looks completely fine.. but it look like 5 months of it being yuck to get better.

LovelySydney
03-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Aww momo that's what gussies beak sounds like! maybe he is preparing to molt!! That would be fabulous, I'm excited to see what he looks like! he does chew a heck of a lot on his branches and whatnot that are in his cage. & today i caught him sanding away his beak on his perches so I know he knows what hes doing when it comes to personal beak care!! = )

momo
03-27-2009, 07:57 PM
I found that elmo just is obsessed with rubbing her beak on things.. obviously polishing it. Just try to give her as much as possible. I find that elmo enjoys those perches that have shell bits on it.. and wide tree branches.. she also enjoys polishing her beak on a manu perch.. but I got her the large size (one for a macaw)

I guess you can just offer extra calcium because thats what makes our nails grow strong.

But the beak looks gross. As long as she is still eating properly its probably that.