PDA

View Full Version : Fun with Odinn & Freyja

Enko_chan
03-28-2009, 12:38 AM
The three of us have been visiting family today. I thought they may be stressed by their first trip in their carrier: wrong... stressed by the new environments: wrong... stressed by all the new people: wrong!

Freyja was much more clingy to me than usual, but she was still social and fun, and it was nice to get in some snuggle time! Odinn amazed us all, though- he was social and energetic, exploring, clowning around- usually Freyja is the center of attention and Odinn is lurking and hiding- but he really put on a show! He even let perfect strangers touch him with their hands, let ME touch him with my hands...

I am so tired and I didn't bring my camera so no photos were taken... but we have one more day left to our adventure, so I will try to take some tomorrow with Granny's cam!

I think these guys were going through the beginnings of some adolescent experimental nesting behaviors and had begun to get very terrirorial about my bedroom and each other, and this trip seemed to break that stage. I'm relieved... I know that they will most likely go through nesting a number of times, but we don't want to raise any babies until the economy is better and/or we know good homes where they will be loved ahead of time and besides, they are just way too young! For those of you who have raised a pair of male-female lovies through adolesence, how much to you allow to run its natural course? I mean, it seems better for all parties that the funk they had gotten into was cut short, but am I doing wrong by them to have done this? It was not my intention when we traveled, I simply love having them with me, and I come from a bird loving family- plus Chris is gigging this weekend and won't be home for them... but, I do what I can to prevent nesting behavior and I know that is what's generally recommended for adult pairs when breeding is not desired... but how much experimentation ought I allow to run its course?

Bear with me here, I am asleep and probably rambling, definitely inarticulate and possibly nonsensical.

More tomorrow...

but to end on a happy note, I love my birds and they are the apple of my eyes and the darlings of my life, and they bring me joy every single day- but today was the best and most fun day we've had together thus far.:rotfl