PDA

View Full Version : Day one has begun.

LovelySydney
03-28-2009, 12:49 PM
Day one of Oslo quarantine has begun....& I hate it!!! Gus is downstairs, Os is upstairs and they are SCREAMING to one another:( I know this has to be done but it is hard! However, they do sound like they are making warrior battles calls so maybe its better they AREN'T around one another right now! lol

Oslo is very timid, very scared of me. Doesn't try to bite but I did figure out he is COMPLETELY FULL FLIGHTED which was a question I completely forgot to ask until it was too late. & he makes this call while flapping his wings that sounds like a car alarm, literally. I recieved a cage from the previous owner but added a few perches and a happy hut. He loves the new sand perch and has been napping on it since we got home. He's already ate AND taken a bath, I witnessed both. I see that as a good sign.

I will post pictures soon...I don't want to get too invasive too soon!! Os is going to take a lot of work considering he is two years old, rarely handled and has been fully flighted always. He is a beautiful bird - really vocal and pleasent. Poor Gus has been on my shoulder since we got back, I know he is hoping I will walk him to where the new bird is!! But he is being a little bit needy since Os has come home, which is something new. Can't say I mind it!!:)

Go to the vet for a wing clip??

linda040899
03-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Congratulations on your new lovie! I'm sure everything will work out in the end. It's probably the best thing that could have happened for Oslo!

Fully flighted is not really a problem but clipping his flights so that it's not as traumatic is going to take a couple of days, as it will have to be done slowly. I would clip just the outside 2 on each side for starters (when you feel comfortable doing it or having it done). Give him a day or so to adjust and then clip another one on each side. He will still have some flight but it will give you more control when you work with him. Continue with another flight on each side a day or two later. I think you understand where I'm going with this.

Sandpaper perches are useful but you don't want him sitting on it all the time. It can be very rough on his feet, even to the point of causing open sore. Same thing with concrete perches. You want them used, just sparingly.

LovelySydney
03-28-2009, 01:31 PM
he also has a manzanilla perch in there and a grapewood perch. those are my favorite, they are just natural & seems easy for the little ones to stand on. The screaming from the two birds has stopped for the time being, i checked and both are napping. I honestly was getting a headache from them calling! lol that hasn't happened before so that was a new thing. I cannot WAIT for them to be introduced to one another - I think its going to be awesome. My bf is more impatient then I am on this, but I keep stressing the importance of keeping them separate. He keeps going back and forth watching Os upstairs then Gus downstairs. It's adorable.

New family members are awesome = )

linda040899
03-28-2009, 02:21 PM
he also has a manzanilla perch
If the manzanita perch is dark and smooth, Oslo may not like it because it's slippery. Some of the smaller manzanita perches are sold without scoring on them and birds have a hard time holding on. You can rough it up with sandpaper if you have to.

Enko_chan
03-28-2009, 03:15 PM
If the manzanita perch is dark and smooth, Oslo may not like it because it's slippery. Some of the smaller manzanita perches are sold without scoring on them and birds have a hard time holding on. You can rough it up with sandpaper if you have to.

I file and sand some of the slippery bark off mine, too. The cagetop gyms I am building are made from partially sanded manzanita branches- the sanding adds character to the wood as well as being more practical! They also sell it sandblasted.

Mummieeva
03-28-2009, 03:26 PM
I am glad things are going well. Quarantine sucks big time. I have done it several times. I wish you great luck with your new bird and quarantine.

Steph