PDA

View Full Version : medical kits anyone?

SammySamantha
03-29-2009, 07:56 PM
All the members of my family have a "go bag" to grab in case of emergencies. Sam and doggie Bisa share one. I was doing a check of the bags today and realized that I didn't have anything to help me out in case of pet medical emergencies.

There are lists of suggestions for dog medical stuff, but no help with bird stuff. I looked through the emergency preparedness section here and couldn't find an answer. Does anyone here have medical emergency kits for their birds? If you do, could you list what you have in them?

Thanks!

LovelySydney
03-29-2009, 08:51 PM
As far as birds go all I could think of would be wing clipping tools (safety precautions:towel, bleed stopper) or a pair of scissors perhaps in the case that your bird gets tangled in something, you can get them out right away.

I know someone else will be able to offer more things.

personatus
03-30-2009, 07:22 AM
Mine contains...

*Propolis wound cream and tincture....for sterilising wounds.
*Hydrogen peroxide 3%. Good for cleaning up wounds and been told it's very good for stopping bleeding nails/toes aswell.
*A tub of Orahesive powder for wounds/bleeding nails.
*Tweezers, fine tipped and thick tipped.
*Scissors. Sharp ones for trimming feathers and precision ones for finer work.
*Apple cider vinegar. Unfiltered. Good for boosting up sick and/or young birds.
*Vitamin and Calcium supplements, various.
*Thermometer for the bird and one for water temperatures.
*Weighing scales, precise, good scales. Cheap ones often read ones.
*Variety of sterile syringes. 1ml-5ml usually for me.
*Swabs and cotton-buds for cleaning any wounds etc.
*Latex gloves, tissues and towels.
*Various antibiotics I can use, but they are from my work so not everyone will have the ability to have their own.

That's about everything I have (or should have!) This post reminds me that I really need to get everything together and on hand for when I need it, like I have done recently! Doh!

Enko_chan
03-30-2009, 07:36 AM
...adding to that which is already listed:

-styptic! something to stop bleeding. as simple as a baggie of corn starch or flour.
-I have some small containers of food for the birds in the freezer in case I need to grab and go.
-a travel container. my frontpack-backpack isn't ideal for longterm living, but they could reasonably stay in it for a day or two and i can throw it on the front of me- even though i can't walk easily- it is light and has a perch, is easily cleaned, even has straps for hanging toys. it also breaks down and can be stored. this becomes more complicated when you have many birds.
-nutrilite (like pedialite) for rehydrating if necessary
-there is also a kit for dehydration, a sub q (beneath skin) solution that can be injected for birds that are severely dehydrated or unable to drink/eat
-a small bottle of disinfectant concentrate like oxyfresh or avian petfocus to clean a makeshift area for your birds to stay/containers to eat and drink from

ask your avian vet, they may be able to provide you with other items that aren't otherwise quickly thought-of or readily available.

SammySamantha
03-31-2009, 09:25 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. Now I just have to collect the supplies!