PDA

View Full Version : Obsessed with Cupboards

momo
04-03-2009, 09:12 AM
This might sound a little weird..

but elmo is becoming obsessed with cupboards.. It started in the bathroom, I thought it was because the door is a mirror.. and she dived in there among all of my cosmetics (all of the lids were on).. I have to towel her to get her out..

And tonight, mum was putting away the dishes and she just dived into the plate cupboard, you can close the door on her, she doesn't care. just enjoys being in there.

I thought maybe that she was scouting for a potential nest laying area, but somehow I don't feel thats what it is. She just enjoys sitting on the shelves? Maybe she is scouting and I am trying to deny it in my mind.

But you cannot open a cupboard with her around, without her trying to dive in there.. :rotfl

Anyone else with this.. behaviour? hahaha

BarbieH
04-03-2009, 09:34 AM
It really is nest-scouting behavior, and that is a great deal of fun! So yeah, it's entertaining and it's instinctive. :) It's like the best nestbox ever!

LovelySydney
04-03-2009, 09:43 AM
haha I bet thats great to see - you can just open a cupboard and see what happens!! Hopefully she won't go about building a nest amongst your plates!!

BarbieH
04-03-2009, 09:44 AM
And you do need to keep an eye open for when and where they poop. ;)

momo
04-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Oh she isn't allowed to stay in there.. she was on my mums shoulder and mum was putting the plates in and she jumped in straight away. Mum called me over to see.. and I got her out of there asap...

I hate doing the dishes, so I don't want to do more of them cause elmo wants to hangout there! hahaha! Imagine if I did let her in stay there.. I could serve my food on my plates... just move the nest to the side! hahahaha!

I'm struggling to try to stop her from displaying the nesting habits. She spends most of out of the cage, so it's not as if I can re-arrange my house! hahahaha. I do her cage but she doesn't spend alot of time in there, so it doesn't really bother her. I am trying to find new toys and things for her to do, but she is more into flying around the house rather than playing with her toys now.

BarbieH
04-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Guess what. The house is going to become her nest. Been there, done that, bought the tee-shirt!

Mandolin
04-03-2009, 12:32 PM
We have learned not to open the cutlery drawer when Kameko is out. She is inside the drawer the instant that it is open and scurries to the back ready to make a nest. If she gets in there we now have to take the whole drawer out to get her out other wise she will do anything she can to stay in there. I definitely feel your pain haha. It is so funny how they figure these things out.

FuzzyAga
04-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Yes, Barb is right. Somewhere in your house there is a cavity for her to snuggle into, and she has found it!

Juanita hunted everywhere because I took away all nesting material, including paper, magazines, catalogue (you get the idea) so she started to look behind the refrigerator :omg: and under the valance (drapery), and in the clothes closets. She even laid an egg under the toe-kick of the dishwasher.

These closets slide on little rollers and they're always closed, but there's an inch-gap or so and these lovebirds limbo through the gap. (You know the limbo dance? For some of you it's from my generation, but the others...anyway, the beat of the Caribbean music accompanies the dancer who gradually bends over backward, lower and lower, as the bar sets lower and lower, until the dancer, if good, can dance under an 8-inch gap.) I tracked down some muffled chirps and in amazement I watched them come out from under the door.

I find that I can only fight with her for a short time then I give up and she has her nest.

Bella's mom
04-03-2009, 01:11 PM
We have also learned not to open the cutlery drawer when Bella is out. She starts trying to move the cutlery out of her way and she will not come out of the drawer for anything. We have to towel her to get her out or risk losing a finger or two.

Bubblelady
04-03-2009, 02:02 PM
We have also learned not to open the cutlery drawer when Bella is out. She starts trying to move the cutlery out of her way and she will not come out of the drawer for anything. We have to towel her to get her out or risk losing a finger or two.

When Buddy was in her prime & could move quickly, I gave up on the idea of a cutlery drawer! I could not open the drawer if she was out--which was always. She would watch me if I was in the kitchen & if I moved near the drawer, she was ready. If I opened the drawer, she was in there in a flash! Then just try to get anything out of the drawer--a knife, a fork, a spoon, or a hen :omg: And she would thow the silverware around. (When I mentioned to the vet one day how much she liked the cutlery drawer he said, "Of course she does. All her friends are in there!") I finally moved the silverware tray the the baker's rack & let her have the drawer. Then, one by one, she took over ALL the drawers by going over the backs of the drawer & down to the one beneath. I'd have to remove ALL the drawers to retrieve her. She also took over all of my desk drawers. I tried to convince her that one drawer in each room was hers & the rest were mine. She never got the message. And she liked the cabinets in the bathroom, my purses, grocery sacks, tissue boxes, book shelves....you get the idea. The vet told me not to let her have any nesting material. HA! The world is absolutely filled with nesting material and nesting sites if you are a lovie hen :rofl: Nothing I did cured her. It took old age to give me back my drawers--I'd gladly give them up again if it would make her young....

momo
04-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Ohh.. haha I am some how comforted by the fact this isn't just a one off situation!

I am refusing to give up my cupboards lol! Every door must be closed around her! haha..

haha fuzzy, lovebird limbo! Elmo does that as well!! I don't know how she can squeeze through tiny gaps! But when she's determined..

Elmo hasn't learn about draws yet.. lets keep that a secret from her!! hahahaha!

FuzzyAga
04-03-2009, 10:31 PM
Bubblelady-I understand perfectly just how wonderful it would be to have a time-machine for Buddy.

Our beloved fids...the one thing I observed with my two (er, three, actually) is that they live for the moment and they enjoy it! They can't do it any other way.

Their enjoyment gives me joy. I laugh a lot when I'm in their company.

I hope Buddy is feeling better.

momo
04-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Oh I wish Elmo was like that heather.. Elmo throws her balls either out of her cage.. or off her play pen. Looks at it.. Looks at me.. Looks at it.. Looks at me!

Z28Taxman
04-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Oh I wish Elmo was like that heather.. Elmo throws her balls either out of her cage.. or off her play pen. Looks at it.. Looks at me.. Looks at it.. Looks at me!

Ditto does that too. If he really wants it and I ignore the "hints", he screams at me.:whistle:

momo
04-05-2009, 07:12 PM
LOL taxman, elmo hasn't gone that far.. and lets not tell her about the screaming way either hahahahaha..

alwaysodile
04-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Nest-scouting behaviour? Uh-oh! Elphie (sex unknown) just loves sitting on top of my cupboard doors when I open them to pick out clothes. She's never actually gone inside, but she'll fly and hover for as long as she can in front of it to get a good look!