PDA

View Full Version : Do feathers make birds sneeze?

Z28Taxman
04-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Well they do when the get one stuck in their nose! :omg:

I was lying on the couch this afternoon watching the race and Ditto started a nasty, loud sneezing fit. He just kept sneezing and sneezing...

So I went to see what was up and there it was, a little white down feather stuck in his nose. I guess now he knows how I feel when he sticks one up my nose! :rofl:

Feather is gone and so is the sneezing.

Gill
04-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Mine havent done this but sometimes a feather gets stuck on their eye! That scares me a bit but they handle it fine! :D

bellarains
04-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Ahhhh,

Poor Ditto, Daddy Dave needs to get him little hanky:)

LovelySydney
04-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Aww poor ditto!! - what does a bird sound like when it sneezes?

momo
04-06-2009, 04:46 AM
awww.. a feather up a nose.. that is.. annoying. I know when I pat elmo with my nose.. if I breath in.. if she has a lose feather.. it covers my nostril and it feels funny!

Z28Taxman
04-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Now he's got me a bit concerned. He sneezed again a few times last night and once this morning. There's no discharge and he's his normal chirpy self, hopping around and feeding his favorite toy. The feather appeared to be sticking in shaft first so maybe it irritated him a bit. If he keeps it up it's off to the vet with him.:very_sad:

I wish I could be there with him today to keep an eye on him. :(

LovelySydney
04-06-2009, 10:06 AM
aww I'm sorry - I hope little ditto feels better soon!!

wilkiecoco
04-06-2009, 01:45 PM
i hope ditto feels better soon - hopefully it's nothing, but you are wise to take him if you are concerned. please let us know how he is doing. :)

linda040899
04-06-2009, 02:05 PM
If he keeps it up it's off to the vet with him.:very_sad:

I would definitely get it checked out if it keeps up! It's possible he still has a bit of feather remains still in the nostril area and you just don't see it.

Z28Taxman
04-06-2009, 02:33 PM
I would definitely get it checked out if it keeps up! It's possible he still has a bit of feather remains still in the nostril area and you just don't see it.

Could be, it was one of the little tiny down feathers.

Z28Taxman
04-06-2009, 04:52 PM
He seems much better today. I got home and before I even got to the door I heard him call to me (loudly!) and he started his little dance while hanging sideways on the cage and chirping up a storm. I've never been so happy to see a loud wound up lovie in my life.

I don't know if it was a the feather or the millet. I forgot all about the millet. I noticed right after he started sneezing yesterday that he hadn't eaten much of his millet. So I took it out and it didn't look that great (old, dried, off color and very dusty). I wonder if that was what set him off since he started clearing up right after that. That was also when I saw the feather so it might have been why I fogot about it.

In any case I won't be giving him any more of that crap. Got new stuff ordered from that pet place.

He took a bath in my hands and then ate a nutriberry and went face down in his veggies so he definately has plenty of appetite to go with his energy.

No more sneezes yet either.

I will of course keep a very close eye on him and if he doesn't seem right... Off to the vet.

thebubbleking
04-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Glad to hear ditto is feeling better my female sc sneezes when she takes a bath lol

wilkiecoco
04-06-2009, 06:52 PM
I'm so glad that Ditto is feeling better. :)

Z28Taxman
04-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Well we're off to the vet. He had a mini sneezfest last night and had occasional breathing sounds when eating and hanging upside down while playing with his toys. Didn't stop him from flying and playing however. He didn't even seem to notice.

Of course now he seems perfectly fine and not making any unusual noises but off the the vet we go anyway. Gotta make sure.

linda040899
04-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Good luck with the avian vet, Dave!

Anything out of the ordinary should always be checked out, even if it turns out to be nothing. When it comes to our fids, you just never know and you need to cover all bases.

Z28Taxman
04-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Well we're back and the verdict is in (kinda).

Ditto is a perfectly healthy 50gram lovebird. Nares look clear, lungs and airsacks sound perfect, poop test revealed 98% gram positive 2% negative. No sneezing or wheezing. Cloaca looked good. Feathers look great and he's not fat or too thin. And even the Doctor deserved a kiss on the nose form the lovable little birdy (complete with kissey noise). The only thing he could see wrong with him was blunted choanal papillae which is usually caused by not enough vitamin a. So I gotta get more of that in him.

Other than that there's nothing wrong with him. Gonna keep an eye on him and call back if he keeps it up or shows other symptoms. Of course I haven't heard anything today anyway.

And he was very well behaved, stepped right up for the doc and gave him kisses and got skritched.:happy:

But no clue as to what made him sneeze in the first place unless the feather did irritate him a bit. :confused: