PDA

View Full Version : Eats only with me

Albino
04-07-2009, 01:28 PM
How can i get Honey eats from her bowl :confused:

Unfortunatly i have no background about her when i bought her..
When i tried introducing fruits, like apples or dates, i keep some in her bowl but she doesnt eat them..
The next morning i started eating an apple while she was on my shoulder, later on she came on my hand and ate with me:) I tried then to keep for her in her bowl, she ate a little, not like when she eats with me.
Same goes with the dates, carrots...etc
Its just that she seems to eat more with me than in her bowl :confused:

Hope to get some advice for this behavior:blush:

BarbieH
04-07-2009, 02:08 PM
No problem! Someone's got you wrapped around her little toe, and that's how it should be. :)

I would eat my meals (outside the cage, obviously) while she is inside her cage with her food dish. Birds are flock feeders, so she may be more comfortable eating with you as you described. If you have your meals next to her cage while she is inside, she will still feel comfortable about eating, and chances are she will eat her food while you eat yours.

linda040899
04-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Most birds are social eaters and Honey is no exception! (Heck, I don't always like to eat alone, either....) Perhaps you can prepare a small dish just for Honey so she can eat her own food while she's with you. Most lovebirds are not fruit eaters so if she shares fruit with you, that's exceptional! :)

I would continue to offer fresh food in her cage and you will find that she will most likely eat it when you are not around.

Albino
04-07-2009, 02:41 PM
I would continue to offer fresh food in her cage and you will find that she will most likely eat it when you are not around.

Thats what im concerned about, what if im not around :S I some times have to go to my brothers house and baby sit his kids for couple of days and my family are'nt the type who spend time with pets..
So im kinda worried about those situations if they come up.
I dont want my honey to starve :(

linda040899
04-07-2009, 02:50 PM
If you are not around, Honey will eat. While she's a social eater, she will eat by herself when she gets hungry. Methinks someone is spoiling her............:rofl: (All my fids are spoiled and that's perfectly OK!)

Albino
04-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Thank you loads..
Well i think i'll see what she'll do with out me some times ;)

HaleBoppPeachyluv
04-08-2009, 05:08 PM
I change out sunnybird's seed & pellet every morning... sometimes i come home & it doesn't look like she's eaten anything & then digs into food when i eat my lunch. Sometimes I come home & every looks shelled & and there's pellet powder dusting the bottom of the cage.... and when i give her more & eat my lunch, she still eats her food as i'm eating mine.

And she'll stil pig out on her veggies later, too.

food just tastes better with company, y'know? ;)