PDA

View Full Version : Kiwi's new cage

Flip
04-08-2009, 11:39 AM
In preparation for moving in a few months, I thought I'd better get Kiwi used to her "travel" cage. She's never seen it before. So I've put it up in my office on my desk so that she will be able to sit in it while I'm working. Sometimes I can work if she is out, but most of the time she needs my undivided attention. I thought that if I could get her used to the little cage, then she could come sit up in my office with me, even if she isn't on me.

Well, today was the first experiment. I let her sit and watch while I put her cage together, and showed her the toys and perches that I was putting in it. She's even got a little happy hut in there. She seemed fine while she was sitting on my shoulder. And then I tried to encourage her to go in the cage.

Let's just say that she does not like the cage at ALL. :( I only put her in for about a minute, while I was sitting a foot away at my desk, telling her that it was alright. Poor little girl. She looked so miserable all cooped up in the cage. When I brought her out she dove into my sweatshirt and hasn't made a peep since (5 mins ago or so).

Tomorrow I'll try again, and let her stay in for a minute longer. I feel awful stressing her out, though ! I wish there was a way I could get her used to it without making her upset. I don't even have any millet that I can entice her with, because I haven't been able to find any nice millet since that episode at the pet store where ALL of their millet had mould in it. Eww.

I'm also worried that I'm going to break the trust that I'm slowly building with her. She lets Mr. Flip do whatever he wants to her: rub her tummy, scratch her head, cuddle her, kiss her, touch her wings, etc; but, with me she just tries to take my fingers off any time I try to get her to step up. I don't want to make her trust me less than she already does, but I also think it would be nice if she could come sit upstairs with me while I'm working, so that she isn't all alone in her room downstairs.

So ends trial one of Kiwi and travel cage. Kiwi 1 Travel Cage 0:rotfl

CompassionAk
04-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Maybe if you put some millet or one of her favorite toys inside it might be more inviting and fun for her?

FuzzyAga
04-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Usually with my birds, I need to introduce them gently to anything new, like a new toy, new travel cage, etc. This means anything new never gets closer than 10-12 feet from their cage, initially. I have a sofa table behind the sofa, at a safe distance from their cage, and that is where I put all new things that are intended for them. I also play with it.

They still can give the new thing a once over as they fly by and get acclimated to it. Then a few days later, the new thing is moved closer to the cage, and a couple of days later, closer yet. Finally, I set it on the top of their cage before putting it inside their cage, in the case of toys. Done incrementally, the birds begin to find the new thing familiar and aren't as upset about it.

Your heart was in the right place, but you were a bit optimistic. :) Birds are very suspicious of new things in their environment. Slow introductions and lots of millet (the best bird pursuader) works best.

So, start over. Since you have the time, the best introduction to her new cage is where eventually she goes inside voluntarily, either to eat the millet that's dangling inside, or because she's curious. That is your goal. Also, the first few times she goes inside, don't shut the door; let her go in-and-out; you want her to be comfortable with it. If you can work it like this, you should have an easy transition.

Slow and easy is the stressless way to work with a lovebird. They'll sort things out but just don't shove it in their faces suddenly.

linda040899
04-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Very well said! :)

One trick I've been able to use successfully is color. I discovered that my Abbys will accept a new cage as long as it's the same color as the one they had. Shape/size/set up may be different but the structure looks the same. I followed this through with my other birds and I've had success there, too.

Flip
04-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks Fuzzy and Aga. Slow and steady...thanks for the reminder :)