PDA

View Full Version : Oslo died this morning.

LovelySydney
04-20-2009, 09:29 AM
I woke up this morning to find O dead on the bottom of the cage:very_sad:

I am absolutely beside myself. I don't know what happened, I don't know WHY this happened. I can't tell you how tired I am of finding dead birds. & Oslo was the new addition, he was the one who needed a forever home and I was supposed to give that to him. Gus was the one who looked sick, O seemed fine to me - I didn't see this coming at all - my little angels are leaving me:(

Gus looks terrible, puffed up, sleepy - not making any noise. I am sure the trauma of losing Oslo is affecting him. I called my regular vet and we are expecting him to pass. All the tests were faxed to him from Saturday, my vet says there is nothing else he could run besides an XRay, but he doesn't see that as necessary.

A picture of my snuggle babies:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9da39b3127ccec6b0ea65862900000040O00AatWbZq0Zs2 QPbz4A/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

I really can't handle this. I feel like I am losing children.
Please keep Oslo, Gus and myself in your thoughts. I need it today:(

My boyfriend made an interesting point, Gus and Oslo packed themselves in the same happy hut last night and went to bed. I am wondering if it is possible that Oslo got shoved out in the middle of the night and broke his neck. Is there a way I can check for that myself? Anything I can feel for? They never slept in it together until last night.

linda040899
04-20-2009, 09:39 AM
I'm so very sorry to hear about Oslo! Not quite what I expected to see when I checked the board this morning!

Did the emergency clinic check for heavy metal poisoning? If there's metal in Gus' gut, an x-ray would show it.

Please have a necropsy done on Oslo so that you know what happened. This may not be what you want to hear right now but I think it's important so that you aren't forever wondering what happened. Give this very serious consideration. It may even offer a clue as to what might be wrong with Gus.

bbslovie
04-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Hi, so sorry to hear about Oslo.:very_sad: Thoughts, hugs and prayers to you and your flock!

Barb :)

Bella's mom
04-20-2009, 11:03 AM
So sorry to hear about Oslo. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Jally
04-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Ohmygosh no!! I can not believe this! I am so terribly sorry that this happened. Yes, you all are in my thoughts. Oh gosh! This is unbelievable. :( I can only imagine your shock this morning.

linda040899
04-20-2009, 11:53 AM
My boyfriend made an interesting point, Gus and Oslo packed themselves in the same happy hut last night and went to bed. I am wondering if it is possible that Oslo got shoved out in the middle of the night and broke his neck. Is there a way I can check for that myself? Anything I can feel for? They never slept in it together until last night.
If Oslo broke his neck, his head would just flop around when you picked up the remains. I had this happen once in my aviary when something scared 4 youngsters that were in a nest box. They all came flying out of the entrance, misjudged the distance and hit the back wall of the cage. One hit hard enough to break his neck and he just fell to the floor, dead on impact.

It's a possibility.

LovelySydney
04-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Thanks Linda - I will have to ask my boyfriend, he handled the remains, I could not even be near the cage, it was too hard.

Gill
04-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Im so sorry, poor little mite :(

Flip
04-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Oh oh oh, I'm so sorry! I saw the subject of your post and my heart just dropped. This is terrible news, and I don't know what I can say to ease the pain. Having lost a lovie fairly recently, I can empathize, and I know how awful it is. {{{LovelySydney}}} I wish there was something I could do to help, and I really, really hope that little Gus pulls through. Please, as Linda says, get a necropsy so that you know what happened to Oz. They are so fragile and it is so, so, so hard to lose them. Like children, you're right. I will light a candle for Oslo tonight, and you and Gus will be in my thoughts. I'm so, so, sorry.

JudiNh
04-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Im am so so sorry. What a shock. Absolutely heartbreaking.

mangotiki
04-20-2009, 01:33 PM
Oh, I am so sorry...

(((hugs)))

wilkiecoco
04-20-2009, 01:49 PM
oh no!!!!!!!!!! - i cannot believe this! :very_sad: :very_sad: i am so very sorry - i am truly at a loss for words. my thoughts and prayers are with you. ((((((((((hugs))))))))))

LovelySydney
04-20-2009, 02:29 PM
Just got back from the vet - O's neck was broken, most likely from a fall. Gus is calling for him, it's very very very sad. He seems better, eating and drinking and playing with toys - hopefully he will be my miracle bird and stay around a little longer. His mommy sure needs him right now.

Thank you for all the kind words.

Flapjack
04-20-2009, 03:00 PM
I couldn't believe it when I saw the post.:heartbreak:

I'm so sorry for you and Gus. You've been through alot with your little guys recently.

:hug:

bookworm0550
04-20-2009, 03:23 PM
ohmigod, i am so sorry to hear about this. i can't believe it. i'm just so sorry about oslo. so the vet said his neck was broken? and i hope gus will be okay as well

Chickobee
04-20-2009, 04:01 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. :very_sad: What a shock to wake up to something like that. You sure have been through a lot.

O was such a beautiful lovie and he and Gus were so sweet together.

((((( Hugs )))))

Janie
04-20-2009, 04:56 PM
:( I am so sorry to read this.

dani
04-20-2009, 05:05 PM
I am so, so sorry to hear this. Hugs and prayers to you and to Gus. I will keep poor little Gus in my prayers too. take care of him, and yourself.

cp.lovebird
04-20-2009, 06:31 PM
I am so, so sorry! :very_sad: What a terrible shock for you. I couldn't believe it when I saw your thread. How devastating for you to lose Oslo. Fly high sweet Oslo!

I am sending you and Gus prayers and healing thoughts. ((((HUGS))))

wilkiecoco
04-20-2009, 07:11 PM
what a tragedy this is - i am heartsick for you. Spend time with Gus - you both need some comfort now. I am sending both of you many hugs! (((((((hugs))))))))

thebubbleking
04-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Geeze you poor thing!
Fly high little o! and we are here if you need to talk or vent.

maya_exquisite
04-20-2009, 09:31 PM
OMG. Both?! I'm so extremely sorry... :very_sad:

LauraO
04-20-2009, 11:41 PM
I gave my condolences in another post and of course extend them here. I just wanted to let everyone know that just cause Oslo's neck was broken it doesn't mean he wasn't ill. With Gus being sick, it could be that Oslo was sick as well and broke his neck after he died while falling. Hopefully, you can find some answers soon.

Laura O

Enko_chan
04-20-2009, 11:51 PM
I gave my condolences in another post and of course extend them here. I just wanted to let everyone know that just cause Oslo's neck was broken it doesn't mean he wasn't ill. With Gus being sick, it could be that Oslo was sick as well and broke his neck after he died while falling. Hopefully, you can find some answers soon.

Laura O

Enko chan also broke his neck when he fell from his perch. The break was determined to be post mortem, though. The vet said that usually birds will not break their necks from a short fall unless they are already limp.

I've already given my condolences, but I wanted to say again that I am so so sorry. I know that necropsies aren't the first thing you want to think of now, and it doesn't make the loss hurt any less, but for yourself and your future fids, it will help you make peace with whats happened.

If you need anything at all, please don't hesitate to contact me. (((((Kristy))))))