PDA

View Full Version : Splayed leg

LovelySydney
04-22-2009, 01:13 PM
Does anyone own a lovebird with a splayed leg? I was just reading about it and wondering what it is. I tried to find some photos - does this hurt them in any way? Are they still able to be as active?? Can they sit normally?

mangotiki
04-22-2009, 01:25 PM
this happens when the babies dont have soft substrate (maybe other causes too...just this is the one I know about). their little legs, one or both, can stick straight out to the sides. this prevents perching and pretty much cripples the bird.

Gimpy (so nicknamed and the name stuck) had splay legs, though there was lots of substrate in the box; i noticed her legs at about 10 days of age (?) and pulled her for handfeeding. i used wool to make little handcuffs for her. she had her legs tied underneath her for about two weeks...took a while but eventually her hip sockets mended in the right position.

as i understand, if it is not corrected early, the bird can be permanently crippled. legs can also mend partly. if you ever see a bird with splay legs, you will recognize it.

don't recall seeing any pics but once saw a bird in a pet shop and yep, had one leg sticking right out to the side; he got around but i didn't see him perch.

linda040899
04-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Splay legs are caused by dislocated hip joints. If the baby can't get it's feet under it or if mom sits to hard on the little ones, the result can be hip joints that are knocked out of joint and heal that way. Like Traci said, if you catch the condition before the baby is 5.5 weeks old (young), treatment is usually successful. Traci, I love the term you used: handcuffed! If you can secure the legs at 90 degrees to the body and keep them like that for about 14 days, the hips will go back into joint and heal properly. You can have one splay leg or you can have both.

I think the thread is in the I Need Help NOW! forum or it's pinned to the top of a forum in the breeding section, there's a thread by Merry that talks all about splay legs. I think the thread even has video imbedded. Very educational!

Angelic vampyre
04-25-2009, 07:24 AM
Another good trick with splayed legs is to get a makeup foam pad thing use a hole punch to punch two holes and feed the legs through, I have found this works better with the Budgies then the traditional handcuffs

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/207/dscf0765nv4.jpg

http://media.photobucket.com/image/Splayed%20Legs/ravengypsy/breeding2008/splayedlegbrace.jpg

linda040899
04-25-2009, 07:28 AM
With lovebirds, I don't like this method because it doesn't allow the baby to move very well and many (especially older ones) are very resistent to impaired movement. Hobbling the legs will keep them in place and allow the baby to shuffle around. Baby lovebirds seem to be experts at wiggling out of the sponge so I've given up on using it. Just my own thoughts.....

LauraO
04-25-2009, 11:40 AM
I have one birdy who came to us as an adult who has splayed legs. They are splayed and effect her daily functioning but definately not the worse. She gets around fine and adjusts but she does have some difficulty landing and perching on things she can't grip. She can't step up due to her joints being locked. It was no big deal in the beginning as we just scooped her up. However, she's gotten nesty and bitey so it's no fun picking her up anymore. Luckily, she likes her cage so it's not tough getting her where she needs.

I also suggest you look up our member Brittbritt. She adopted a lovie who has pretty seriously splayed legs. She shares about Angeli's adventures and includes a bunch of pics. Here's one of Brittbritt pics showing Angeli's splayed legs. I would still look up her posts cause she really has a bunch of fun stories and pics of Angeli and her pal Jackson. She shares about what a great life a lovie can have despite some phsyical limitations.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3420/3259999249_dd046d7363.jpg

Angelic vampyre
04-26-2009, 07:10 PM
With lovebirds, I don't like this method because it doesn't allow the baby to move very well and many (especially older ones) are very resistent to impaired movement. Hobbling the legs will keep them in place and allow the baby to shuffle around. Baby lovebirds seem to be experts at wiggling out of the sponge so I've given up on using it. Just my own thoughts.....

Thanks Linda, I have never done this with love Birds as I am only new to Love Bird Breeding will make sure I have Hobbles on hand in case I need them.