PDA

View Full Version : Little turtle found in our pool. Pet store says very dangerous...??

LoveBug12
04-23-2009, 07:36 PM
My dad was cleaning out the pool today when he found a little turtle on the deck. We have the turtle in a tupperware with a rock right now and he seems to be doing fine. We went to the pet store to ask them about the turtle and a lady said that it is illegal to have the little turtle because it can carry heavy amounts of salmonila ( or however it is spelled) and it is under the legal limit of 4 inches. I know there was a law made years ago about turtles this small but nobody is touching the turtle or sticking there fingers in their mouth. Therefore, nobody will get salmonila. I was wondering if it was okay to keep the turtle and take care of him/her or should we give it up? Before taking the turtle anywhere, I wanted to find out more information on what to do. Anyone know? :confused: My mom would like to keep it because we have no intentions of taking the little turtle out and playing with him/her. Any advice would be great :)

-Katelyn

Mummieeva
04-23-2009, 08:02 PM
First I would find out what type it is. Some are actually protected and keeping them would be against the law and huge fines. it might need to be taken to a wildlife rescue home. If there is a law in your area I hate to say but I would not keep it.

Steph

LoveBug12
04-23-2009, 08:10 PM
First I would find out what type it is. Some are actually protected and keeping them would be against the law and huge fines. it might need to be taken to a wildlife rescue home. If there is a law in your area I hate to say but I would not keep it.

Steph

It is a red eared baby turtle, the most common of all turtles. The pet store told us that it is dangerous to keep them because they amounts of salmonelia it carries..and of course, the law about them. But people breed and sell them and teachers also use them to study with their students.

Mummieeva
04-23-2009, 10:24 PM
Then how about giving it to the local school? Salmonelia is why we do not touch the outside turtle here. Due to past experiences it is one thing that scares me.

Steph

mangotiki
04-24-2009, 01:32 AM
red eared sliders are common as pets here where I live. however, they do get quite a bit bigger...if you are legally allowed to keep it, then I would strongly suggest doing alot of research on the proper care. their habitat can be quite costly to set up. you may want to see if there is a reptile rescue in your area and go visit. they will have some really good information for you about caring for him. They will also be able to advise you on where to release him if you can't keep him, or if they are a non-native species that should not be re-released.

as a child, i always wanted a pet turtle; i still think the baby turtles in the pet store are soooo cute.

Christine9
04-24-2009, 05:50 AM
Any turtle can carry salmonella regardless of size. The reason the 4 in rule came about was because pet stores were selling small turtles that children could fit in their mouths, and believe it or not, some kids were crazy enough to do just that, and were getting salmonella because of it.

I have two turtles, one which was the size of a quarter when I first got it from a pet store, that apparently was not following the rules about size, and I have never contracted salmonella from either of my turtles. The ones that do carry it are the ones that are kept in filthy environments.

Have you considered taking the turtle to a vet that deals with exotics, to see what his or her opinion is?

lemonypickett
04-24-2009, 04:33 PM
If he got in the pool, he must have survived out there on his own, I would release him. They have sensitive light requirements which if they are not met they get fungus and rot in their shells. Super terrible.

I say let the poor fella loose.

Eliza
04-24-2009, 07:04 PM
I agree. This is a wild animal and he should be returned to the wild. It's best to release him near a pond or stream.

thebubbleking
04-24-2009, 07:16 PM
Two words...turtle soup!
Lol j/k!
I have raised turtles and not only do they become large and costly but live for a considerable amount of time so need to be a forever pet.

Bubblelady
04-24-2009, 07:19 PM
I doubt that this is a "wild" turtle. Red-eared Sliders are not native to Californis. It is probably a released pet. They were very common pets when I was a child but no longer, since learning of the health problems they often caused. I had several as a child but would no longer keep one, knowing what I know now. The following contains what sounds to me like good advice.

From Wikipedia:

The Red-eared Slider is native to the area around the Mississippi River down to the Gulf of Mexico. It thrives in warmer climates, particularly the Southeast quadrant of the United States. Such an area would be east of and below Colorado to Virginia down to Florida,

Pet Red-eared Sliders should not be released into a wild habitat. These pets could carry organisms that the wild populations are not immune to and the pet may not have the proper immune system that is required to live in a wild habitat. Disease could easily be spread by this practice. Pet turtles fed commercial diets also may not recognize natural foods and may associate humans with food which could endanger the turtle. Pet owners should contact a rescue organization if they no longer want their turtle.[1]

Also, since this species is very hardy and adaptable it could compete with and even supplant native species of turtles that occupy a similar ecological niche.

dani
04-24-2009, 07:50 PM
He is probably a tiny cutie! I love turtles, once a wild painted turtle wandered into our yard and made a home in a pile of damp grass, even laid an egg there.

Sliders are really common pets! They grow quickly and steadily with the correct care, and there is a wealth of info online if you google red ear slider!!
I have two pet red ear sliders who were just a couple of inches big when i got them, three years later they have grown quite a bit. I am careful handling them due to the salmonella thing though. You should research red eared slider care before deciding what to do with him.