PDA

View Full Version : How smart are they???

Pips mom
04-26-2009, 10:30 PM
I really think my lil monster Pip is quite smart. I really think that he knows his name, and even understands some things I always say to him. He knows what he's not supposed to do (although he still does it anyway!) He knows the whole flock here's chirps and sounds. When I come in the door, I usually immitate a chirp sound he makes and he always does it right back to me! If I do his little head bob with grunting noise, he also does it back. You just have to wonder how smart these little guys really are, and I tend to think that people underestimate them. I was looking through some good lovie videos on youtube and found these......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u3mH14ELFc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgJbntqlVWE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaLEGNAn5r8&feature=related
Smart little stinkers, aren't they???:omg:

momo
04-27-2009, 02:11 AM
I've seen those videos before, I absolutely love them. The girl who taught Bicki to distinguish colours, i have her training book, I just haven't had the time to read it.. too much uni work.. but now I'm gonna take a break and have a quick squiz..

I love lovies are sometimes too smart for their own good! haha.. I always know when elmo is doing something naughty, like she had gotten into the cupboards.. because I don't hear her talking any more.. gives it away straight away!

Jally
04-27-2009, 07:05 AM
I know that lovebirds are smart. Peanut knows his name and he knows his nickname, Peep Peeps.

He also knows when I am trying to do something like get him in his cage or try to get a harness/flight suit on him. And, he knows how to manipulate me into saying that I am sorry and that I will never try to do that again. Only after I say that will he come to me.

Most of the time we have a cuddle session at night, but every once in awhile I like to have some alone time so he goes to bed on his own on those nights. Last night was one such night. I put him in his cage and he gave me the saddest little peep :( It was all that I could do to not pick him back up again. I am positive that that was what he wanted!

Little stinker!

momo
04-27-2009, 07:13 AM
He also knows when I am trying to do something like get him in his cage or try to get a harness/flight suit on him. And, he knows how to manipulate me into saying that I am sorry and that I will never try to do that again. Only after I say that will he come to me.

That's too funny! Nothing like the trick emotional black mail.

Enko_chan
04-27-2009, 07:27 AM
My birds definitely understand their names- or at least that when I say "Odinn" I'm talking to him, and "Freyja" I'm talking to her- they turn to look when they hear their names...

and they, too, understand to some extent, "I'm sorry"... they'll turn their backs or look reproachfully at me when I do something they dislike, and then when I say "I'm sorry!" they'll come to me again.

LovelySydney
04-27-2009, 08:46 AM
I love watching the UTube videos on lovebirds!!! My Gus was smart in the way that he could get around our house and know where everything is very easily. He would fly from room to room knowing where to land and where his favorite spots were. He also knew how to go from downstairs to upstairs which was so hilarious to watch. His little self hopping up the stairs, I loved it!!!

I always wanted to teach tricks but my guys were more interested in each other than they were me = )