PDA

View Full Version : What would you do??

Pips mom
04-28-2009, 01:00 PM
I belong to another bird forum and there is a woman there who has decided to release her birds to this place.......http://www.birdsofeden.co.za/
Of course she lives in Africa and there aren't places like this around here, plus it's too cold here, BUT if it was you and you lived near this place and had the option of letting your birds live free in a place like this......where they are safe from predators and can live the way they were meant to be! Seeing her posts and reading about this place just really makes you think....it must be so hard for her to part with her birds, but I think it is such a great and wonderful thing to be able to do for her birds.
I had to sit and think.....what would I do in her spot with my birds?? and after thinking, I think for sure I would release Pip into a place like this if I had the chance. He is just SOooo into his freedom, and it's so obvious he'd be Sooo much happier in a place like this. It would break my heart, but you could still go back there and check up them. Ivy is very bonded to me and I couldn't ever let her go, and Woody and Boss have each other and seem like very happy birds, but Pip I know him well enough to know that this is a birdie paradise and he would make Sooo many other birdie friends, fly free and it's his natural habitat. I think he'd forget us in a heartbeat if he saw this place! Especially seeing as he seemed to not even care when he first came here from another home.....almost like he never even missed the old one!
Yup, Pip would be flying free here if I had the opportunity. Curious to see what you all would think of this and if you would do the same.

LauraO
04-28-2009, 04:16 PM
I think it depends on the bird. A lot of our birds are socialized to living in a home and attached to humans. Most are not able to care for themselves even in situations like these. I liken it to someone assuming humans can just be released in a gigantic park and be expected to survive cause it's in thier nature:whistle:......I do think we owe it to our birds to create the best possible life for them that we can.

Enko_chan
04-28-2009, 04:36 PM
I agree with Laura-

Human beings are domesticated and would be hard put by to live indefinitely in the wilderness- or even an extreme change in domesticated lifestyles can cause major depression in human beings. While some birds may do well, others would likely wonder what they've done to be sent to a place where they aren't cared for any longer! Even captive-bred and raised birds that aren't tame and have no obvious emotional bonds to their people are used to their lifestyles. Lifestyle changes for birds- even from one captive home to another- are very difficult, I can't imagine how much of a shock it would be to suddenly be released!

michael
04-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Deep down, I think many often wish their parrots could revert back towards living in their natural habitat, if anything, to be free much the same as their wild counterparts. Certainly, this seems like an option well worth the venture. After all, we provide as much a natural environment as we possibly can. Right? So now I must ask, would an environment of this calibur be a viable option should I find myself in the unfortunate position of having to rehome my feathered companions/family?.......In the best interest of my own two lovebirds.....no.

While it is a fact that some will forever argue all wildlife should be free to roam the planet, all parallax aside, it is my belief companion pets are as much a evolution of our very existence as our own children. This is not to say it wouldn't at all be the best choice to send them off to such a beautiful aviary, rather, the reasons for doing so would be subject to several deciding factors, as well as a thorough due process.

thebubbleking
04-28-2009, 05:09 PM
I would let my birds visit or house them when i went on vacation for sure but my fids love me and get effection from me and i know would call for and miss me my fids are so spoiled lol

personatus
04-28-2009, 06:01 PM
Im pretty sure most, if not all birds would love to be released to something like that. Naturally it would be odd at first, but they will soon lap it all up. Theres a parrot park very close to me here with the worlds largest parrot aviaries etc. It's great seeing various species mixed together, lots of CAGS, Too's, Macaws etc. There's a smaller (still huge) aviary for lovebirds only. They love it, every one of them look mega happy and they are all rescue or given up birds.

Pips mom
04-28-2009, 06:51 PM
I agree with Laura-

Human beings are domesticated and would be hard put by to live indefinitely in the wilderness- or even an extreme change in domesticated lifestyles can cause major depression in human beings. While some birds may do well, others would likely wonder what they've done to be sent to a place where they aren't cared for any longer! Even captive-bred and raised birds that aren't tame and have no obvious emotional bonds to their people are used to their lifestyles. Lifestyle changes for birds- even from one captive home to another- are very difficult, I can't imagine how much of a shock it would be to suddenly be released!

They don't just release the birds there. They keep them in a small aviary first and work with the birds and try to prepare them and only release them when they feel they are ready.

Enko_chan
04-28-2009, 06:58 PM
Of course they don't just release them... but even people who are trained and able to live in the wilderness wouldn't necessarily do well living there indefinitely.

It seems like a good idea at first, but I'm not sure how well they would really do in the long run. Then again, there may be more of the wild left in them than I'm giving them credit for, but maybe not! I can certainly see the attraction in something like this, especially for birds that aren't doing well in captivity, despite all attempts to care for them properly.

personatus
04-28-2009, 07:29 PM
I think any bird will thrive in an environment like that, their natural instincts and wild behaviour will soon kick in.

LovelySydney
04-28-2009, 07:42 PM
If I still had Gus I know he would say "see ya Kristy!!" and leave me for this place, lol he was so independent and loved other birds around. Now Oslo was just too relaxed, he was so happy sleeping on his perch or eating every now and then on his own. He was a 'home' bird. Gus, well, Gus would probably fly to this place himself!! = )

Pips mom
04-28-2009, 10:36 PM
If I still had Gus I know he would say "see ya Kristy!!" and leave me for this place, lol he was so independent and loved other birds around. Now Oslo was just too relaxed, he was so happy sleeping on his perch or eating every now and then on his own. He was a 'home' bird. Gus, well, Gus would probably fly to this place himself!! = )

Same with Pip! He is a freedom loving birdie.....no cage for him....he wants out every minute! He would be SOooo happy with that kind of freedom, I know it! We'd be left in the dust!

bookworm0550
04-28-2009, 10:49 PM
i think joey would miss me, but with time i think my fids will be okay in this kind of environment. they love love love to fly around and get into all sorts of trouble. here i know they will lack the human interaction, but at least they'll be getting fed, be safe from predators, and most importantly in my opinion, safe from bad owners. i really like this website. they have some educational stuff on here too.