PDA

View Full Version : Friend for a hen...

Flapjack
04-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Hmmm... another post on here got me thinking.

I remember reading that a hen, in order to pair up with another lovie, should have a male companion, who is the same age or older.

I would like to get another lovie someday, but unfortunately, Jack is a girl. I do not want babies.

At what age can I expect Jack to not be interested in producing eggs, and would still welcome a much younger lovie as a buddy?

I mean... I want another baby- but if Jack's hormones would make her more prone to attacking a young male, would it make a difference if she were no longer at an age to produce eggs?

thebubbleking
04-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Well theres an easy answer to that get a male that is a hybrid any eggs if there are any will be infertile. As far as age i would say a bit older or the same age, i have found young males (lovebirds included!) dont know how to treat a hen the way they want to be treated.

LauraO
04-30-2009, 06:53 PM
I think Linda said something in the past that lovie hens stop between 7 and 9 years old. We've had our hen Babygirl for at least 6 years and her age was unknown when we got her. She was found in a park and was full grown so she's between these ages. While her egg laying has slowed, she still continues to lay eggs pretty regularly.

cp.lovebird
04-30-2009, 07:28 PM
I think my hen Blue Meanie stopped laying eggs around the ages Linda mentioned - between 7 to 9 years. But she never stopped being aggressive with her mate Squeaky! And they were the same age.

Flapjack
04-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the info, guys.

So... the other question is-

Once Jack is past that point, is it more likely she'll accept a much younger male as a buddy? I'd want to get a baby again.

Gator
04-30-2009, 08:58 PM
I have a breeder, Spice that has just about reached her age limit so I did not allow her to breed this year. She seemed quite content until Spring and hormones hit, so I tried a few younger lovies with her...............she has taken a little 6 month old under her wing so to speak and they are very happy. I will say this though, my lovie Spice had to choose which bird she'd let come near her. I had all kinds of birds next to her at different times, but she eventually latched onto one and so far they are best buddies. Long as the younger one knows the pecking order and Spice rules the cage. Would be tough to do unless you know a breeder that would allow you to "test drive" a baby for yours.