PDA

View Full Version : Question: Lovebirds and cockatiels?

andreap
05-01-2009, 10:09 AM
I see that a lot of people have cockatiels and lovebirds together in their home. Do these two species get along well? I currently have one male lovebird, who is 10 months old and I am planning on adopting a female cockatiel from a woman who no longer has the time to care for her.
Scuttle, my lovebird, is always outside of his cage and I expect the new addition to be out, as well. Is there anything in particular I should keep an eye out for? Are there any known problems with interaction between these species? Of course, personality is always a concern, but aside from differences of birdy opinion... is there anything else to keep in mind?

Thank you!

momo
05-01-2009, 10:35 AM
I think how you introduce them is very important because lovies can be very aggressive. Doesn't matter a tiel is alot bigger than them, they will go after toes.. and blood.

I think if you slowly introduce them.. others will chime in on how to do it.. is your best bet.. but you need to realise that they may not get along and you may need to give them separate time out.

linda040899
05-01-2009, 11:02 AM
A lot depends on the individual personalities. I've seen Tiels and Lovies as best friends, although not often. The fact that the Tiel is a hen and the lovie is a cock may work to your advantage, but it may not, as well. It's just wait and see. They would have to form the friendship on their own.

Tiels tend to be more docile than lovies, especially females. Lovies have much stronger beaks and can inflict some serious injuries. My daughter's Tiel hen lost the lower part of her upper beak to a lovebird.

andreap
05-01-2009, 11:16 AM
This is all really good advice. Thank you! If you have any suggestions on introducing them, please let me know. Scuttle can definitely be a bit nippy, in general. I figure letting him check her out first might help. He's not a shy bird, though. He will hang out with anyone and sit on anyone's shoulders. So, I'm hoping the fact that he's open to different people will leave him open to different birds. :: crosses fingers ::

Pips mom
05-01-2009, 11:22 AM
I would probably say that about 90% of the time a cockatiel will take one look at a lovebird and not want anything to do with him! Cockatiels and lovebirds are such opposites.....cockatiels being such good, well bahaved and calm, peaceful birds, and then of course those bold little lovies! My cockatiels were never very fond of Pip......they don't seem to dislike him, they just don't want anything to do with that hyper, bold little birdie.....they look at him like.....wow, he's crazy! lovebirds are way to aggressive for them and don't hold back on showing it, so it's not hard for the cockatiel to notice! It does really depend on the personality of the bird though.....it does happen, maybe if you have a calmer lovie, and a braver cockatiel. They could become good friends......you just never know! I'd say the chances of them getting along though are not that great! They may do ok out together though if watched carefully.

lemonypickett
05-01-2009, 07:17 PM
I have my lovies and tiels out together sometimes, but I have to watch them like hawks.

I DO NOT trust Jimmy around them. (Eddie I trust, but he is not like a bird, he is human reincarnate)

I have seen instances where lovies and tiels get along, and you may have better luck where each is an only bird of the species. I WOULD be very watchful if you do choose to try them out together. One nip can take a toe off.

Angelic vampyre
05-01-2009, 09:54 PM
I have this issue with other birds and my King Parrot who is very stand offish and other birds (including Budgies) will beat him up. First off you have 30 days of quarantine so make sure that they both can hear each other this will mean that they get use to each other before you even introduce them. Then allow them time next to each other in their cages make sure that you give each treat and praise at the same time do not favour one over the other. Then let them spend time out of the cage one on one with you, if they want to check out the others cage let them but keep an eye out as they can still bite toes through the cage wire. After about a week of this then let them out together, you may want to have your love bird on you and just let the tiel out and see how they go, be prepared to interven if you think there is an issue. Just remember that it is a show process don't expect them to be friends overnight

Jally
05-02-2009, 07:15 AM
We have 2 lovebirds, 2 tiels, 2 sun conures, 2 budgies, and 1 lineolated parakeet. Peanut goes after all of them. The second lovebird is also aggressive, but is a fairly new member of the household so we don't know him very well yet.

Someone, somehow, ripped the top beak off of my English budgie :( I suspect Peanut but I'm not 100% sure. Hubby suspects the new one because Peanut has lived with the budgies for years and has never hurt any of them. He has chased them away from places, but has never inflicted bodily harm... However, there is always that first time.

bookworm0550
05-02-2009, 07:39 AM
Jally how is your budgie? I hope he's doing good

Jally
05-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Sadly, he passed away. He just wasn't getting enough nutrition even though I was handfeeding him. After I noticed that he was losing weight, I took him back to the vet and she offered to keep him until he gained back the weight he lost. She also had trouble getting the food in him and he passed away at her house.

We are all still so sad about it, especially his buddy, Petrie. We got him a female budgie hoping that would help a little but he is not smitten with her. :(

gazel
01-23-2014, 01:26 PM
I put lovebirds and cockatiels together successfully and have never had an issue; first I acclimate them to each other buy gradually moving the cages close together and eventually directly side by side; then observe their interactions; gradually you will see them develop a cooperative demeanor; I then open a door between the cages for short periods of time with them under direct observation and gradually increase this time; they eventually integrate on their own; this is a time consuming project, so, make certain you are up to the commitment when considering such a task :)

linda040899
01-23-2014, 01:31 PM
You are definitely right about this being a big time commitment! I've seen this combination work well, and I've see it go the other way. Some parrots just don't like each other and won't get along no matter what! Just don't put them together and walk away!!!!!