PDA

View Full Version : cage lining.

LovelySydney
05-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Can I use newspaper with COLORED ink to line my HUGE HQ bird cage? I read somewhere that this could be toxic, & surprisingly enough there's not much black & white in my paper. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

linda040899
05-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Newsprint ink is soy based so it's safe as long as it's not coated paper. I, personally, prefer black ink, as some parrots don't like red but it's not unsafe to use. Circulars and flyers that are coated paper are no-nos.

HaleBoppPeachyluv
05-13-2009, 04:15 PM
what do you mean by "coated" paper? Is that the thicker, shiny paper they use for inserts?

What is it coated with that makes it toxic? Is magazine paper the same thing?

dieflying
05-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Hmm, I always use some ads that come from the local grocery store because they're the perfect size for the bottom of my cage . . . it's the same paper you get newspaper on . . . now I'm all worried. I don't think she can even reach the paper, it's quite a way down from the grate.

Mummieeva
05-13-2009, 11:17 PM
Yes, the thicker shiny stuff is the bad stuff.

Steph

Chickobee
05-14-2009, 10:17 AM
If you really want to spoil yourself Dr Foster & Smith has cage liners that fit the HQ cages.

I put a stack of them in the trays and then just remove the top one each day. It's so fast and easy. Since we both work full time it's worth the extra expense for me to have the time savings of not cutting or folding newspapers to fit our different cages.

I'd much rather be playing with my birds, quilting, or reading than folding newspapers for the birds when I get home from work. :whistle:

dieflying
05-14-2009, 10:32 AM
the biggest problem i see with those "tear away" stacks is that it seems like you'd get a lot of seed buildup around the edges when you're not dumping out the entire tray. i guess the bottom of those HQ cages is pretty big, though.

LovelySydney
05-14-2009, 10:53 AM
Right now I have two cage liners at the bottom of the cage, they fit great but I DO need two, and I think 6 or 8 come to a pack, so I am going to need to keep buying more or find another alternative.