PDA

View Full Version : Pearl is a Pain!

Crow
06-17-2009, 04:13 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry i know there have been load of posts like this, but i can't seem to find my answers from googling and searching forums, so thought i'd post my specific problems in the hope that someone can help!

We have a 4 month old peach faced female called Pearl, who we love. She is really tame now, and we give her loads of attention etc, but she is showing a fair amount of aggression towards us. Sometimes she will be so nice and lovely, the next minute she'll be really agro, biting etc. For example, she will let you rub her head, apparently loving it, but then suddenly, truly for no reason at all, she'll bite my finger HARD, then the next second nudge my finger with her head to say 'carry on rubbing'. :confused:

it's so confusing, especially as i read that lovebirds will bite for a reason which is perfectly logical to them, but i swear when i rub her head i am not changing what i do from one second to the next, so i can't see how to help myself or her :(

She has also taken to biting the computer mouse when we are using it, which is really difficult. She has realised that she isn't allowed to bite our fingers there, and will maybe do it but only by mistake, so why does she bite our fingers other times? I'm wondering if she's maturing sexually as she's done a lot of paper tucking. Do you think her frustration of not having a partner could be what is making her agro/random towards us?! I have the opportunity to get her a male friend on saturday... i always feel so guilty when i have to go out for a while and she is on her own...

We have tried the NO method, and she definitely understands no, she just sometimes doesn't listen. We also did the time-out in the cage thing, but with that she waits by the door for us to let her out and bites our fingers when we go to open the door! I think that method needs to be scrapped. For one thing, getting her in the cage in the first place is a task as she'll fly around the room while i try and catch her! impossible.

(sorry this is going on a bit, i swear i'm nearly done..!)

should i get a couple of her wing feathers clipped so she has slightly limited flight? i heard that this can calm them down... but please inform me if this is wrong.

SIGH

i know each lovebird is different and in time i hope she will be lovely, but i just need to make sure i'm doing all the right things in terms of training her while she's still young. Any help/ advice/ general musings welcome!

Jane

Enko_chan
06-17-2009, 04:19 PM
We have a 4 month old peach faced female called Pearl, who we love. She is really tame now, and we give her loads of attention etc, but she is showing a fair amount of aggression towards us. Sometimes she will be so nice and lovely, the next minute she'll be really agro, biting etc. For example, she will let you rub her head, apparently loving it, but then suddenly, truly for no reason at all, she'll bite my finger HARD, then the next second nudge my finger with her head to say 'carry on rubbing'.

My Parrotlet does this... and I figured out why when he was molting, and found that this phenomenon took place more frequently and often when hitting a spot that was more actively in molt. When I hit a sensitive spot, he responds by biting or posturing, calms down, and wants to carry on with his scritches.

As for the mouse- ALL my birds do this. They try to help me type- the lovies are heavy enough to do this, the parrotlet is not. They bite the keys, and chase/bite the mouse. Benny will fly on my head and bite my eyebrows when I've been paying the computer screen attention for too long. They probably view it as a toy, that is theirs, because everything you touch is theirs to them, and sometimes as an adversary for your attention!

momo
06-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Are you def sure that your fid 4 months? I am inclined to go with Ecko Chan re: molt. But I don't think fids start molts around 4 months, but rather 5 or even 6..

Take notice next time she doesn't like you touching somewhere on her head, if it is consistently one spot, there probably is something wrong that you may need to get checked out by a vet if you can't see it yourself.

Another idea is that she could be testing the grounds with you as well. Teenager trying to push the limits. They get better as they get older :).. I had my lovie since she was 2/3 months.. shes over a year old now and she's alot better :).. just patience and perseverance... and lovebird forums! haha.

Re: mouse, yes my fid does this, she also chasers pens.. literally think that moves. For a while she hated when I typed on the keyboard. I can type relatively fast so my fingers are going everywhere and she would try to chase and bite them.

FuzzyAga
06-17-2009, 09:33 PM
Your Pearl is not showing aggression. I have observed this very behavior with Juanita and her mate, Petey, and with me.

Petey will groom her head and neck and every couple of nibbles from Petey, she will give a small screech and bite his feathers. He moves away quickly. When I scritch her head and neck, every couple of scritches from my thumb, she will give a small screech and bite my thumb--only I don't have feathers that provide protection! I tell her "Gentle" and continue for another minute and tolerate her bites. This behavior seems to be hard-wired into their repertoire. You just need to grow feathers! Over time, Pearl may modulate the force of her bite--Juanita did.

"Gentle, gentle" and "Don't bite" is a phrase I've taught her. I say it softly. Sometimes she seems to understand.

Also, my Juanita removed some of the keys from the computer keyboard and nibbled off the rolling wheel on the mouse! Had to replace the two.

When she's standing on the keyboard, her body posture says, "Mine!" I think all parrots love the sound of the keyboard. I keep the keyboard covered when I'm not using it. It turns out that parrots are facinated with the tools that their human uses. My Juanita likes her chicken and Cheerios served from a fork and spoon, respectively. :) She also likes to drink water from a glass.

I keep some foot toys near the computer and distract her with it when I want to type. You could try this.

michael
06-17-2009, 09:33 PM
Hi Jane. Pretty much like you mentioned, lovebirds will bite for what they feel is a very good reason. Of course, the best reason, is that its the number one way they know of to get your undivided attention. And it works every time.

Like you, I would also consider a mild clip, especially if she gets even more difficult to cage or continues to show behavior that becomes excedingly aggressive. Keep in mind though, her cage will likely always remain her territory. Remaining "respectfully" off limits to those who's hands may trespass, sometimes the best you can do is simply avoid the injuries by using a stick to retrieve her from her cage. Usually, once out and a little ways away from home (cage), she may decide to interact in a more pleasurable fashion.

Because Pearl is only 4 months of age, its really hard to say which direction her behavior will go. Perhaps once she's finally matured, you will not only know what behavior to what out for, but how to interact with her in such a way that builds upon her trust. I have a feeling that is going to take some time, along with a lot more patience.

Although males, both my lovies have shown the same the biting response your Pearl has. This could very well be a couple tiny new pin feathers, or maybe even some other reason such as feeling a bit skiddish yet about your hands. While both lovebirds had often shown little if any regards to me uttering the word "no", in conjuction with the "action" of gently pushing them away whenever bitten worked better. Sometimes a few inches did the trick, other times to the point where they must hang on for dear life. Because most birds are individual, hard to say whether this will help..... A little nibble every now and then? Some say not to let this happen for fear it may get worse. So far, i've had no problems overlooking most their nibbles. Then again, they are males.........:)

Enko_chan
06-18-2009, 06:06 AM
Benny (P'let) who bites during head scritches, doesn't only bite during molts... as Michael said, it could be a few new pin feathers, etc. and as Fuzzy said, Benny used to draw blood when he bit while I scritched him, but has no moderated his bite so that it is not painful... I also say "Gentle"... and pull my finger away just a little- a very mild and quiet response. Responding with a big gesture and loud noise may actually inspire MORE hard biting. I know how hard it can be to not respond when you're getting chomped, but try! Also, like Petey and Juanita. Freyja and Odinn, my lovies, also exhibit this behavior when they're preening one another- every now and then, one will nip the other's feathers.

Crow
06-18-2009, 09:14 AM
hi guys,

thanks so much for your replies and help, i find it always calms me down and feel less alone when i read other peoples' experiences which are similar to mine. I know at the end of the day the Pearl is an individual and we must treat this fact and her with respect. So yes, more patience and time and love is going to be given :blush:

does anyone have any thoughts about getting her a mate? one minute i think its a good idea, the next i'm not so sure. Do you think it's best to get her some constant company for when we can't be there?

thanks again,

Jane

michael
06-18-2009, 11:51 AM
hi guys,

thanks so much for your replies and help, i find it always calms me down and feel less alone when i read other peoples' experiences which are similar to mine. I know at the end of the day the Pearl is an individual and we must treat this fact and her with respect. So yes, more patience and time and love is going to be given :blush:

does anyone have any thoughts about getting her a mate? one minute i think its a good idea, the next i'm not so sure. Do you think it's best to get her some constant company for when we can't be there?

thanks again, ..........Jane

This really depends on many factors. From your "initial" reason for keeping a lovebird to how much time you can spend each day with them can alone make a world of difference. In short, adding a mate may or may not be in the best interest of either party. Sometimes the risks involved of having them breed is enough to warrant keeping a lovebird single, especially if you find that their breeding practices and associated vet care may be a burden. There's also the possibilty you may lose some of the bond you've formed to an incoming mate, or worse yet, neither bird finds each others company all too exciting, in which case you could end up with even less time on your hands than you did before. While single lovebirds can remain just as contented as their paired counterparts, what also remains is the tinge of human guilt in keeping a parrot around who lacks the company of their own species. Try not to make this the main reason for offering your lovebird a mate, rather, make this decision based on what you feel would be in the best interest of both you and your lovebird.

Because any preparations you make in advance will likely be of great benefit, I would continue to gather as much information as you can before making any final decision. Knowing that there are no real guarantee's, armed with some basic guidelines such as, quarantine (especially for transitional birds), age differences, species etc, you might just find good reason to add another lovebird. Or you might not. ...... Maybe some others can share........:)

Crow
06-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your advice... hmm i am really having to think about this. I'm so 50/50 about getting her a friend. On one hand she seems to be progressing really well with bonding with us (today when i got home from work she was so lovely and playful and obedient and excited, i didn't want to put her to bed as we were having so much fun! So i feel like now if i got another lovebird, we might lose moments like that... but at the same time i don't want to be selfish and deprive her of other bird interaction. She gets REALLY excited if we play video's of lovebirds chirping etc, she'll fly to the speakers looking for it, which is a little heartbreaking.

To be honest, one of the reasons i wanted to get a friend for her is so that me and my boyfriend can go away on holidays. We're off for two weeks in september and I've already roped a load of people to come and stay to look after her at various times!.... i just thought that if she had another bird to keep her company my friends wouldn't have to worry about her all the time. None of them are bird owners themselves anyway so they can't handle Pearl as well as me and my boyfriend, so i feel that she wouldn't get as much attention even if they were here, but we've got no other choice when it comes to people to look after her.

But then there's a very real possibility that Pearl wouldn't even like her new friend anyway! then i'm stuck with two incompatible birds, like you said Michael, and even less time because of it.

OH i'm so torn! i think i'll have to have a good long hard think about this

:confused:

momo
06-18-2009, 08:36 PM
I went through all the same emotions and processes that you have. I had my lovie Elmo from when she was 3 months and her and I had been alone.. we still are alone.. a year and a bit later. I felt through all of that time she was content with me. If you are good with time management, a play time in the morning and a big play time at night time they can be content with that.

Through the day if you are afraid that she's lonely, you can get birdy cds or dvds that you can play to her while you are away that will entertain her.

I got a second fid recently, but due to the place I got it him from, being introduced is being put off until the second fid gets over psittacosis and he is in quarantine in another room. (Something you will have to do when you get your second fid, if you want to protect the health of your current fid) But the only reason I got the second fid was because my work and studies are picking up alot more and I will be away from her longer than before.

You've only had her for such a short time, give it some time, let you and her bond for a while and then reassess it later on :)

FuzzyAga
06-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Quick question: Is Pearl a DNA'd female?

FuzzyAga
06-18-2009, 10:24 PM
http://www.newyorkbirds.net/featherdestructivebehavior.html

FuzzyAga
06-18-2009, 10:41 PM
Sorry, I'll get this right yet! While this link discusses featherpicking, I thought it would be interesting to you because it also discusses other topics that are relevant to parrot ownership, such as the need for regular baths, the diet, light, exercise, more control by the parrot, sense of security, entertainment; and how to observe parrot behavior.

When a person is owned by a parrot, that person becomes a naturalist, by default. If you ever wanted a job like Jane Goodall's (she oberved chimps) this is your chance to be like her and observe parrots. Happy discovery!

Also, are your friends reliable and serious about looking after your Pearl? It's best to be doubly sure, and if in doubt, it's wiser to use a parrot boarding/parrot sitting service.

When Pearl tries to bite your hand as you are opening the door to her cage, feel free to distract her toward the back of the cage with the other hand. Since she can't be in two places at once, use two hands and neither hand will get bitten. :)

Crow
06-19-2009, 08:18 AM
hi guys,

Thanks Momo for your comments, i've decided to wait a little longer to see whether pearl needs a friend, because at the moment she is being really lovely and seems to enjoy the company we provide for her. I do give her enough time each day, even though i go out to work every weekday. My boyfriend is freelance, so works from home pretty much every day, though he is out the country this week. She wakes up with me, has plenty of toys etc, in her cage during the day to keep her occupied and then when i get home we play until she goes to bed. She definitely seems content to be left in her cage most days while no-one is at home, and she’s also fine being in there if my boyfriend is working. Some days it’s not so easy and she’s a real poop though!

To answer your question Fuzzy, no she hasn’t been DNA’d female – we are guessing, but she has been showing nesting signs (paper tucking, getting excited about small dark spaces.. not sure if males do this?) and she’s on the heavier side etc…Next time I take her to the vets I will ask to get her DNA’d though. Thanks for that link also, i will read through that at some point this weekend.

Thanks again for your advice guys! feeling a lot calmer about it all now [or maybe thats because i just had a yoga session ;)]

Jane

FuzzyAga
06-19-2009, 05:06 PM
I'm sure you'll do fine with Pearl. Every companion bird represents a learning curve for someone. :) How steep this curve is depends on the person and the bird.

There is one other observation that I'd like to pass along. Since you'll have a singleton for a while, I would recommend that you teach Pearl to submit to head scritches from you as it would add to her comfort and well-being. Much as a zoo would endorse teaching their elephants to offer up their foot for a pedicure, so should you train Pearl to tolerate, and even enjoy, the scritches on her head, neck, and under her beaks to remove those annoying and itchy keratin covers on the pin feathers. This training may take a while--with Juanita, so bitey, it took about 6-months. In other words, persistance pays off.

It's recommended that her head and neck are all that you touch.

Crow
06-26-2009, 11:34 AM
hi again everyone,

thought i'd add news to this existing thread to save starting another one...

Ok, all the advice given to me great, and Pearl's behavior has actually been very good lately... but i've realised that is because my partner has been away from home. This happened before but i didn't realise til it happened this time. Basically, while he was away she and i bonded a lot and she was lovely, letting me scratch her head lots, playing nicely and not really biting at all. but then he came back and now she's being very aggressive randomly, lunging at our fingers for no reason etc...

Why is she only like this when both of us are here? it's not like we ignore her, or do anything different than when it's just one of us. Could it be that she sees one of us as her mate and is being protective? She seems to treat us the same with biting!

any ideas /help /advice appreciated once again! Thanks

Jane

Enko_chan
06-26-2009, 01:50 PM
hi again everyone,

Could it be that she sees one of us as her mate and is being protective? She seems to treat us the same with biting!

Jane

Seems like you've hit the nail on the head! Bennu, though he is a parrotlet and not a lovebird, does this as well. The only time he bites me hard or acts like a brat is when Chris is around. He is very bonded with me and gets very jealous when other people or birds are touching or near me.

michael
06-26-2009, 02:37 PM
Jane. ... Rest assured, what your going through is not all that uncommon. .... Pearl has in fact bonded with you quite well and is now protecting the relationship. Couple reasons she may be biting both of you is two fold. .... One, She bites you in hopes you'll split the scene leaving knowone around for the boyfriend. That way he'll leave. And two, she bites boyfriend in hopes he just plain leaves you two lovebirds ALONE. .....OR.....She bites you as a warning of his invasion. Bites him to make him leave. And after he's gone, expects the both of you to live happily ever after. .... Well, something like that :rolleyes:

Sounds like your boyfriend may need to spend a little quality alone time with pearl. You could try a room thats least familiar to pearl and have your boyfriend work with her there. I would also have him provide her feedings and treats. What better way to become a flock member than to help gather the food. ..... While you both need to do your best to avoid bites, try not to back away from her. Do not scold her or react in any noticable way (even if its funny) towards her aggressive behavior.

Your boyfriend should probably start off again using the "stick training" method. Any positive interaction between her and him should always be rewarded with plenty of praise.......Keep us posted!......:)

Crow
06-26-2009, 05:03 PM
oh my goodness the comment about her wanting us to go off and live happily ever after made me laugh so much!! thats so true when you put it like that! ha bless her

but thank you folks for your replies - i feared the worst i guess! oh dear, i think that must be it. I feel bad for my boyfriend, i am trying to think how to break it to him! haha

seriously though i will try the tips you gave Michael, and have him spend some time with her in really positive ways. I also try to make sure she sees me and him together a lot and invite her to be with us all together, though i don't know if she gets that just yet...:rofl:

anyway, thanks again, and yes i will keep you posted. Though i should post a pic of me and pearl so you can put faces to names here. This pic is from when she was still a little babe !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38817444@N04/3663884340/

Jane x

michael
06-26-2009, 06:04 PM
Oh my my my my my! .......:roll:.......Whats the meaning of this!

JANE! We need to see Pearl's wee-beeb pic! ....... You must now go and make that photo PUBLIC! ........ NOT PRIVATE! .......... Now hurry up before someone NOTICES! ...........:pics:

Crow
06-27-2009, 03:28 AM
oh my god, so sorry i haven't used flickr before i had no idea it was set to private

thanks for the colourful response to that Michael ! i have only just woken up here so i stared at it confused and very bleary for about 10 minutes before working out what you meant. haha

pic should be viewable now!