PDA

View Full Version : Hand feeding babies?????

p3rr4n
08-14-2005, 12:37 PM
I have reads alot of posts that with some lovies and other parrots, about how hard it is to develop a tamed relationshiop.

My question is this. Is the time when you meet /get the lovie the biggest factor?

I got Trixie when she was about 6 weeks and have had zero problems. We bonded the first few hours yet I read all kinds of posts where it has taken weeks, months or even years for some wonderful people to earn a lovies trust.

What are the most significant factors in developing a tamed relationship with a lovie or other parrot?

Long posts will be appreciated as well as the short ones.
:)

Thanks!

linda040899
08-14-2005, 12:58 PM
Hi Perran,
It's always easier to develop a trust relationship, in my opinion, with a younger bird, as the younger birds don't have as many trust issues unless they come from a neglectful environment. If they have never been abused, neglected, they don't know what it is that they have to fear. Keep in mind that birds have remarkably good memories and have to see for themselves that the current situation is not just a continuation of the situation they just left. Additionally, as each bird is different (just like people), you may not be able to develop the same kind of relationship with one bird that you could with another one.

Harley and Ginger are as different as day and night! Ginger is an import and is not as needy as a domestically raised CAG. Her relationship with me is strictly interactive, no touch. I'm fine with that and I enjoy just talking/whistling back and forth. Harley, on the other hand, is more needy and will chew his feathers if I'm not around as much as he would like me to be. He doesn't get angry with me. He just chews his feathers to his down coating to show me his displeaure. When I brought Harley home from the bird show where I got him, he had more down than feathers. He belonged to a family that was going through a divorce and neither of them wanted him. To show his displeaure, he mutilated his feathering.

I think the key to the answer you are looking for is that you have to get to know and understand your own bird. What works with one bird may not work with another. You can get all the suggestions in the world but, ultimately, we each have to understand that bird that lives with us.

Janie
08-14-2005, 01:09 PM
I think the key to the answer you are looking for is that you have to get to know and understand your own bird. What works with one bird may not work with another

Linda, you said it....in a nutshell! For no good reason, Oliver was always tame and always stepped up even though he was never taught. Never a bitter, etc. and we'll never know why except that is just his personality. He was never a very loving, friendly bird before we adopted him but that is where gaining his complete trust made the difference. And, spending so much time with him.

I'm learning, with the two new ones, that there ain't nothing routine about any of it! :lol Having them is almost like having my first lovebirds! Even though they are very young, I think it will take me longer to gain their trust (specially since they like each other so much) than it did with Oliver. I am definitely way down on the flock chain as far as they are concerned! :D And, they are each so different towards me. Big Boi actually sits on my shoulder and will preen my hair and Shy would rather be just about any place but on my shoulder. Must be something in that name! :rofl:

bellarains
08-14-2005, 03:45 PM
I would have to say it depends allot on the bird also. As you know I got Bela as a baby, and he was sweet as pie from the first instant I laid eyes on him, and has never changed. Lacey on the other hand was two years old, aviary raised, never held, handfed, etc.... It took very little time in my opinion for her to become hand tame, but I did spend allot of time with her just one on one before I introduced her to Bela. I have to admit, I don't think she knows how to bite though, so again, it depends allot upon the bird. That, and the amount of time a person gives to that bird.