PDA

View Full Version : Are alfalfa sprouts safe???

ALEX371
06-25-2009, 05:46 PM
Hi everyone, I was woundering if anyone knows whether alfalfa sprouts are safe. I saw some at the supermarket and I bought it fo me and my fids, but I dont want to offer it to them untill I know they are safe. I was looking at some toxic/ non toxic lists and I could not find them in either one. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated !

FuzzyAga
06-25-2009, 08:09 PM
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/food-poisoning/news/20090427/fda-cdc-dont-eat-raw-alfalfa-sprouts

I'd hold on that until we hear the all clear.

Hope the link works. I'm never certain...

Enko_chan
06-25-2009, 08:09 PM
I know that alfalfa sprouts contain carcinogenic toxins that aren't good for people- not to be confused with bean sprouts, which are fine for us. most people do not care much about this as typically we do not eat large amounts of alfalfa sprouts. I avoid them and wouldn't feed them to my birds, though I do not know if they are acutely dangerous for them.

michael
06-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Hi Alex. While i'm not entirely certain alfalfa sprouts are safe, I do know most parrots generally don't like their taste. As for the pre-packaged sprouts, I would avoid those that contain preservatives as well as the organic sprouts, as most the time they've already deteriorated to a point unsuitable for avian consumption. ...... Really, the most beneficial sprouts for parrots are those that have just emerged from the seed.

You can also try sprouting your own. Once you get started, you may find that not only is it easy but much more economical too. Some details can be found in the "Lovebird Resource Library"...........:)

ALEX371
06-26-2009, 04:41 PM
thank you very much for he help, I had no idea about most of the things you mentioned. Thanks ill try sprouting my own seeds for the birds

thebubbleking
06-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Heres one way i get my fids to eat leftovers, i put thier leftover seed on a damp paper towel on a plate and the seeds sprout and the fids love it!
I used to plant the seeds but the fids liked to chew the dirt so i went the soiless way :)

Enko_chan
06-26-2009, 11:42 PM
I do them in paper towels too, Bubbleking.

Rinse them off in apple cider vinegar if you're worried about bacteria/fungus!

linda040899
06-27-2009, 01:42 AM
I would not use any sprouts that are for sale in grocery stores. You don't know how long they've been there or how fresh they are. Sprouts loose nutritional value the longer they are kept before they are eaten.

LauraO
06-29-2009, 08:15 PM
Sprouts are safe, but NOT from a store. There are mold and bacteria issues in store bought sprouts and humans should also stay clear. However, there are plenty of easy ways to make sprouts at home.

LovelySydney
06-30-2009, 10:34 PM
Ive always been told not to buy sprouts from a store due to safety issues. I grow my own at home - its easy and Olly loves them!!