PDA

View Full Version : Question about Plucking?

Susan27
06-30-2009, 10:03 AM
Are some lovebirds genetically predisposed to become pluckers?

Do lighter/paler colored lovebirds pluck more often?

The reason I am asking, is someone I know was told by their vet that their pale/unique colored lovebird is genetically predisposed to plucking. This was the diagnosis as to why their lovebird is a plucker.

Isn't usually environment or lack of stimulation the reasons for plucking after medical reasons are ruled out?

Thanks

bbslovie
06-30-2009, 10:22 AM
Hi, I hadn't heard that before but I'm sure someone with more expertise here will post soon. There are lovies that pluck due to medical issues and there are others that have had issues with behavioral causes. I guess it depends on the bird and the situation but generally vets look at possible medical reasons first and go from there. Just my :2cents:

Barb :)

michael
06-30-2009, 04:07 PM
Are some lovebirds genetically predisposed to become pluckers?.......Do lighter/paler colored lovebirds pluck more often?

The reason I am asking, is someone I know was told by their vet that their pale/unique colored lovebird is genetically predisposed to plucking. This was the diagnosis as to why their lovebird is a plucker......Isn't usually environment or lack of stimulation the reasons for plucking after medical reasons are ruled out?

Thanks

In my opinion, the chances that any parrot is actually "genetically" predisposed to plucking is doubtful. One reason, is that if those birds who are suspected of carrying such a gene were to be returned to their natural habitat, said behavior would soon cease to exist, whereas, if it were truly genetic, its imprint would last almost indefinitely. What i'm really saying, is I don't adhere to the idea that short term genetics (if there is such a thing) account for any viable origin of predisposed self destructive behavior. Not only is it unatural, but there hasn't been enough passing of time to evolutionize it. ...... However, I do feel parrots can become more "prone" to plucking behavior if their parents are pluckers too. Although unlike genetic imprints, this behavior can be much more easily be passed on from parent to sibling. This explains why parrots who pluck should never be placed in a position to breed.

As a final thought, I think its fair to say how some genetics can be easily misconstrued. Could it be the idea, that if a parrot is bred in such a way as to produce an unusually brightly coloured plume, would it then try to rid itself of feathers that are different?........Well, there's my :2cents:........:)

Enko_chan
06-30-2009, 04:35 PM
I doubt it has anything to do with genetics!

I'd get a second opinion.

Did the vet test for anything, or just make the assumption?

LovelySydney
06-30-2009, 10:34 PM
I always check for Oliver to see if he's plucking - I always get this guilt when Im away at work that he's not getting enough social time. Ive always heard that they pluck from stress or lack of stimulation. I change toys often as well and his environment, too. This weekend we are going camping and Oliver is coming! So I know that will provide some entertainment for him = ) All that being said I dont think a genetic link has ever been proven and if it ever was then we would know about it - Im also positive there would be MANY people interested in knowing this genetic link existed, since I know many people who have birds who pluck.