PDA

View Full Version : Someone needs a bath!!

LovelySydney
07-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Oliver preens himself pretty much all day, but I feel like he needs to bathe too!! He doesnt seem to interested in his bathing dish or his bird bath, Ive seen him dunk himself in his water dish once or twice but I fear this isnt enough to clean him. Is there anything I can do to get him to take a bath?? Or is preening himself enough to keep him clean??

CompassionAk
07-12-2009, 03:25 PM
I know this isn't an answer to your question but I was wondering when he dunks himself in his water dish if he will just sit in it like it's a hottub or something.My little Oscar does that when he takes a bath and I just think it's so cute to see him sitting in the water like that.Oscar is like Oliver and refuses to use anything but his or the other birds water dishes.

LovelySydney
07-12-2009, 03:38 PM
lol actually Oliver does do that. He'll sit inside and look around, then he'll hop out and fly about then zoom back in his water dish!!

Enko_chan
07-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Benny won't bathe either.

I bring him in the shower with me sometimes and he'll insist on getting wet if I do... but once he's wet he wants OUT and I have to call Chris to come and get him.

I will fill a bowl with warm water, gently hold him over it and drip the water over him. He dislikes it and I don't do it often, but now and again he visibly requires a bath and I can tell by his excessive preening and scratching that he gets itchy when he hasn't bathed.

Anyone else's parrotlets hate bathing?

HaleBoppPeachyluv
07-13-2009, 11:22 PM
lol actually Oliver does do that. He'll sit inside and look around, then he'll hop out and fly about then zoom back in his water dish!!

That sounds sooo cute!

Sunnybird likes to bathe under running water in the kitchen sink with a little dish. However, since hina arrived, sunny seems too distracted by hina's chirping to bathe in the sink, though i have seen her bathe in her water dish in her cage.

I brought her into the bathroom & she bathed in my hands under the running water... smaller sink though, harder to do.

Hina will occasionally splash in her water dish, but never vigorously enough to wet her back. I got a mister & dampen her in the late afternoon when the fids look really hot.

momo
07-13-2009, 11:47 PM
We have a small cat bowl (ironic i know) that elmo likes to bath in. The bowl is quite shallow but wide so it's good for her to bath herself in.. and she isn't swimming in it.

When we first got the concept of a bath. I would mist her and then she would flick her head in the water bowl in her cage. I thought at first she was trying to get me back but then I realised she wanted a bath. Back then she was clipped so i carried her to the balcony (enclosed) under the sun and got the lil cat bowl of water and began to mist and flick her with the water. After a while she got the idea and ever since she keeps bathing in that bowl. Now though because my mum has retarded her, she will only bath in warm water. If its cold she will refuse. It is winter here though.

Enko_chan
07-14-2009, 08:28 AM
My lovies bathe at least every other day, and when Benny is on his shower perch his insists on getting sopping wet, then trying to fly away (which, of course, he can't with sopping feathers.) Other than that- I have to force him!

If I don't offer the lovies a wide shallow bowl to bathe in- neither of them like the shower perch- they will foul up their drinking water.

bbslovie
07-14-2009, 08:36 AM
Bea, our lovie, loves taking a bath in the kitchen sink. I'll run the water and she'll just flap and play until she's had enough.:happy: Pallie, our ysgcc, won't have it. She'll only bathe in her water dish when she decides she wants to... :whistle:

Barb :)

Jally
07-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Peanut only seems interested in a bath when we are in the middle of doing dishes. As soon as we empty the sink of all the dishes and bubbles, he has lost his interest :( So, anymore I've been dunking him in water for his bath. I hate doing it, but he won't bathe.

The suns will either bathe in their water bowls or hubby holds them under the kitchen tap to get soaking wet, kitchen and all LOL

Everyone else gets spritzed with a spray bottle.

LovelySydney
07-14-2009, 01:03 PM
I put a bird bath inside Oliver's cage. The lovies loved it so Im going to try it with Olly. I am at work so there's no telling if he is going to use it but if I know him like I think I do, I know he will at least inspect it a little. Plus, since he's so small he would probably fit better in the bird bath than his water dish!!!

LauraO
07-14-2009, 10:47 PM
You can try a squirt bottle. Some of my lovies really love this. I squirt the water up so it lands on them like mist, but I give them enough room to run in and out of the water. Some birds take a few times before they get what's going on.

dani
07-25-2009, 07:16 PM
Haku does the cute duckie thing where he sits in the water dish, but he also loves a good misting. He sits in his coconut and tips back his head and closes his eyes and just lets the water fall on him.