PDA

View Full Version : Cautious New Baby

prison city
07-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Hi I've been a member for a while and faithfully follow advice given. I just brought home a new baby peachface lovebird 3 weeks ago. He is now 10 weeks old. Louie is eating great and playing with his toys. However, he seems to avoid me like the plague. He was handfed and I was told socialized. I have had handfed lovies in the past. But they were older when I got them and were already people oriented. Is this just an adjustment period. I am wondering how to proceed. His wings are clipped, but I do not want to keep grabbing him. I know each bird is different. Is this guy just being a little more cautious or just shy? Do lovebirds sometimes dislike people? He also is very stubborn about finger training refusing fingers and perches. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

bbslovie
07-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Hi, it sounds like you are just getting to know one another! Try to just spend time with your new lovie, just talking to him through the cage. Offer your finger and see if Louie steps up through the cage bars. Try to give some pets/skritches through the cage bars. You'll develop a trust between you but it will take some time. The little guy is just going through an adjustment stage to his new environment, he'll come around!

Barb :)

LovelySydney
07-17-2009, 10:19 AM
Yeah, this is just an adjustment period where you two are getting to know one another!! I've found that when I was trying to get my birds to become used to be and trust me that just sitting near their cage and reading aloud or talking to them really helped. They became used to my presence so it wasn't so terrifying if I would do something near their cage. Of course some birds come around faster than others - my first lovebird, Luka, was so well socialized she fell in love with me right away and was very much a velcro birdie!! My second, Gus, was very independent. This bothered me at first but I grew to love him dearly and enjoyed watching him play and be silly. Oslo, my third, was so shy and timid and would just sit on me and watch the world around him. All my lovebirds have had such different personalities, they are truly amazing little guys to watch and have as pets!!!

Just give your baby some time - it has to get used to its new home and the new world around him. I used to leave Luka's cage door open and let her come out on her own to explore, which she did readily. Every bird comes around at their own pace, just have patience!!!:)

thebubbleking
07-17-2009, 05:49 PM
I have to agree with the previous 2 posts and have to tell you from experiance altho some have had similar traits no two lovebirds are the same for sure.

BarbieH
07-19-2009, 11:36 AM
I have found that food/feeding is a great trust builder. Lovies are greedy by nature. If your fingers/hands regularly offer food, your little one will become more interested in them. :)