PDA

View Full Version : Only makes noise when there is noise?

HaleBoppPeachyluv
07-22-2009, 05:48 PM
So Hina was being adorably cute and making her crooning, broody hen chicken noises as she was napping today. I had the TV on in the background, on low.

I put the TV on mute so I could watch and hear her better, hoping to catch it on video..... but as soon as i muted the TV, Hina shut up. I waited, hoping that she was just "catching her breath" or something, but nope... no noise!

As soon as i unmuted the TV, she started crooning again!

Is this a survival instinct thing?

thebubbleking
07-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Good question it would make sense that if the "flock" goes quiet she would but as she was sleeping hard to tell... Mine chatter constatly but pohaku instigates alot of it or if i walk by there cage at night they stick thier head out and give a loud peep but there is usually a constant chatter till the lights go off at 9pm

Gill
07-23-2009, 03:28 AM
My Bobble does what I call "singing" where she chirbles and makes pretty sounds and she always does it when her and Sticky are having a nap, usually around midday ive noticed but this is when its quiet, if i make a noise or talk to her asking if shes singing she stops! :)

linda040899
07-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Is this a survival instinct thing?
Yes. As long as there is ambient background noise, any soft chirping from a relaxing bird would be harder to trace for location. Take away that noise and it makes finding the bird making the noise much easier for predators, not that Hina is in any danger from predators. It's an instinctive thing, just as hiding illness until it cannot be hidden any longer for fear of appearing weak.

thebubbleking
07-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Glad the question was asked very interesting :)

linda040899
07-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Our avian companions, for all intents and purposes, are still wild creatures which we have tamed. They are nowhere near as domesticated as dogs so it becomes imperative that we, as members of their flocks, understand their behavior processes.

Yes, this is an interesting question!

dani
07-25-2009, 08:13 PM
It always mystifies me... at my house at around 5 every evening, the macaws begin screaming, followed by Haku, then Evie... then all six of my dogs start howling in unison. It is every bit as insane as it sounds. I always wonder if it is some kind of strange, twisted pack/flock thing going on. Anyone care to throw in any theories as to why the birds and dogs make noise together?

linda040899
07-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Again, safety in numbers; hard to isolate the individual.

dani
07-25-2009, 08:37 PM
That's amazing... you know what always amazes me too, the way lovies chirp in their sleep as a way of disguising the fact that they are napping and therefore vulnerable.

LovelySydney
07-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Oh my gosh this is such good information to know! Do y'all (Ive been in the south for a week:)) remember when Gus would scream and scream when we would watch TV but not when it was muted??? & here I thought she just hated the TV show! :rofl: