PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever had a rat-a-tat-tat? :)

LoveBug12
07-29-2009, 01:40 PM
So when I was younger I had a pet rat named cookie. She was the sweetest little rat and I was thinking about getting another one. I was wondering if anyone else here has ever had any pet rats before and what they're experiences with them were like. It would be great to hear any stories! :)

Enko_chan
07-30-2009, 01:16 PM
I had two pet rats in my life...

one was a grey male rat... named "Raton Mickey" --- (Mickey Mouse) my highschool sweetheart's weird friend named him... we prounounced the Mickey as "Meee-keee" and he was the most bloodthirsty creature I have ever encountered in my life. I had to literally put on the leather gloves we used to handle the mean conures to feed him or to put him in an aquarium while I cleaned his cage. My family wanted to feed him to the snakes but I wouldn't let 'em.

the other was a female named Sallie white and grey piebald and she was very sweet and tame. I found her to be a very enjoyable pet. She liked to be handled and would even hang out on my shoulder while I was writing or doing homework, reading etc.

I don't know if this was just the individual rats I had or if males tend to be more aggressive than females, but in general, I think female rats would make better pets if you intend to handle them as males have very large male apendages that drag and they get in the way when they urinate and its unpleasant to have the urine dragged on ya. I have nothing against male rats in general... but if you want to handle your rat... Sorry if that's too crude, but its an important thing to consider.

Al and Roxy
07-31-2009, 02:15 AM
I've had a female and she was sooo great! I called her Nancy(as in Sid) Very smart, shoulder and pocket trained . As a teen I took her everywhere with me. I was just saying today what great pals they are!
Alida

LoveBug12
07-31-2009, 02:15 PM
I had two pet rats in my life...

one was a grey male rat... named "Raton Mickey" --- (Mickey Mouse) my highschool sweetheart's weird friend named him... we prounounced the Mickey as "Meee-keee" and he was the most bloodthirsty creature I have ever encountered in my life. I had to literally put on the leather gloves we used to handle the mean conures to feed him or to put him in an aquarium while I cleaned his cage. My family wanted to feed him to the snakes but I wouldn't let 'em.

the other was a female named Sallie white and grey piebald and she was very sweet and tame. I found her to be a very enjoyable pet. She liked to be handled and would even hang out on my shoulder while I was writing or doing homework, reading etc.

I don't know if this was just the individual rats I had or if males tend to be more aggressive than females, but in general, I think female rats would make better pets if you intend to handle them as males have very large male apendages that drag and they get in the way when they urinate and its unpleasant to have the urine dragged on ya. I have nothing against male rats in general... but if you want to handle your rat... Sorry if that's too crude, but its an important thing to consider.

Thank you for telling your story! I enjoyed it :). I personally like female rats better because they seem alot more tame and loving. If I were to get a male rat, I think he would have to be neautured and maybe that would make him more tame. :)

thebubbleking
07-31-2009, 03:25 PM
I had a rat a male he smelled like honey when he was little about a year later honey is not what i would describe what he smelled like lol, he was fine unless he cougt a whiff of female then he got all aggressive. Ricki rat lived to be 3 years old :)

Flapjack
07-31-2009, 05:36 PM
I've had a female rat who was an absolute angel! Her name was Cedar Chips (weird, I know). I think she was almost 6 when she died. It was my fault.

I was in 5th grade, and it was really popular for classmates to bring their pets to school for the day. Anyway, I wanted to be like everyone else, and show off my girl, too. But I lived in Minnesota. Everyone told me to wait until the weather got warmer, because I had to take the bus.

I was impatient, and brought her to school. Everone loved her, and she was a big hit. I kept her in my jacket when we were going to and from school. I thought she was warm enough.

About a week later, she got a bad cold and died. I was heartbroken. I loved her, and she died because I couldn't wait.

I had a male rat about a year later, when I was 11. I was pretty naive. I got him when he was a little baby. As he grew, he developed what I thought was a tumor under his tail. DUH!!! No one told me that they were his testes. They were enormous! I had only had experience with female rodents. Why no one told me, I don't know. They let me give him away to a vet tech, since I thought he was sick.

I think rats are great pets. Although, the females are definitely more attractive, lol.

Enko_chan
07-31-2009, 08:13 PM
I thought there was something wrong with Raton Mickey too. Who knew there were creatures with scrotal areas 1/4 the size of their bodies! No wonder he was full of testosterone!

Jeni- Sallie died because of cold, too. I made a terrible mistake. I went away for a week-end and didn't realize that my mother would turn off the thermostat in my room while I was away. She also caught cold and died from this. She lived to be a little over 4 years old. If it makes you feel any better, I've read that 3-4 years is a normal lifespan for most pet rats. Your lady had a long life!

LoveBug12
08-01-2009, 12:42 AM
I've had a female rat who was an absolute angel! Her name was Cedar Chips (weird, I know). I think she was almost 6 when she died. It was my fault.

I was in 5th grade, and it was really popular for classmates to bring their pets to school for the day. Anyway, I wanted to be like everyone else, and show off my girl, too. But I lived in Minnesota. Everyone told me to wait until the weather got warmer, because I had to take the bus.

I was impatient, and brought her to school. Everone loved her, and she was a big hit. I kept her in my jacket when we were going to and from school. I thought she was warm enough.

About a week later, she got a bad cold and died. I was heartbroken. I loved her, and she died because I couldn't wait.

I had a male rat about a year later, when I was 11. I was pretty naive. I got him when he was a little baby. As he grew, he developed what I thought was a tumor under his tail. DUH!!! No one told me that they were his testes. They were enormous! I had only had experience with female rodents. Why no one told me, I don't know. They let me give him away to a vet tech, since I thought he was sick.

I think rats are great pets. Although, the females are definitely more attractive, lol.

I agree! You can definitely tell that males are males..lol! :rofl:

LoveBug12
08-01-2009, 12:44 AM
I thought there was something wrong with Raton Mickey too. Who knew there were creatures with scrotal areas 1/4 the size of their bodies! No wonder he was full of testosterone!

Jeni- Sallie died because of cold, too. I made a terrible mistake. I went away for a week-end and didn't realize that my mother would turn off the thermostat in my room while I was away. She also caught cold and died from this. She lived to be a little over 4 years old. If it makes you feel any better, I've read that 3-4 years is a normal lifespan for most pet rats. Your lady had a long life!

The oldest rat lived to be 7 years and 4 months old (says a website). I think that's a pretty long time for a little rat! My Long hair teddy bear hampster lived to be about 3 1/2...I don't know how he passed away, but he never bit me once! I still miss my little rat though, cookie was so sweet and would love to crawl up sleeves if you were wearing long sleeves. Hopefully, I get another one soon! :)

Bella
08-02-2009, 06:24 AM
My sister used to keep rats. First she had a single male on his own, and then she had 4 males all together. She did not find them unduly aggressive. Yes, they are well-endowed, but I would personally NEVER consider neutering a rat for anything other than the strictest of medical reasons. Small animals are at a huge risk from anaesthesia.

Rats certainly make great pets. I know a lot of people don't like them due to their tails, but I think they are super little creatures. My main issue with them (and with guinea-pigs, which I used to keep) is the short life span.

Enko_chan
08-02-2009, 09:20 AM
Aye, Bella, that's why I stopped keeping small rodents. We also had guinea pigs, hamsters, and only briefly the rats...

but I and to a much greater extent, my many younger siblings, would go through grief whenever one passed away.

My 10 year old sis who is amazing with animals- I let her assist me in my fishroom, and even gave her one of my fry to raise- which she did a WONDERFUL job of, just got 2 pair of lovebirds as pets after too many hamsters dying on her. She goes through a little mini emotional death every time she loses a pet! Now she has some that there are good odds she can bring with her to college.

LoveBug12
08-02-2009, 12:51 PM
My sister used to keep rats. First she had a single male on his own, and then she had 4 males all together. She did not find them unduly aggressive. Yes, they are well-endowed, but I would personally NEVER consider neutering a rat for anything other than the strictest of medical reasons. Small animals are at a huge risk from anaesthesia.

Rats certainly make great pets. I know a lot of people don't like them due to their tails, but I think they are super little creatures. My main issue with them (and with guinea-pigs, which I used to keep) is the short life span.

I agree about the lifespan. I wished they could live longer. My hampster lived 3 years and I was so sad when he passed away. I can't remember how long my rat lived though, but we had 12 at the time because we bought a pregnant rat from the petstore on accident and then she had 10 babies. They all died around the same time because a little sickness went from cage to cage I think, it was really sad :(.

StormyMom
08-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Ive never personally owned one, but my aunt did..and i loved going over and playing with her. She was the sweetest rat ever.

My mom never aloud me to get one, but she did allow me to take in a gerbil. I have to admit (covers the birds ears) she was my first, and greatest pet i ever had. It was amazing how sweet and full of personlity she was. She hated the ball, because her previous owners son used to kick her around in it :( So i would let her run around my room and shut the door, then just vacuum when she was done exploring. I spoiled the snot out of her. She was always with me. Even my mom loved her, and she doesnt care for rodents.

She lived to be 3 then suddenly passed away. No warning, no sickness, no signs. She just died in her sleep. I miss her so much to this day. I got a hamster after that, but he just was NOTHING like my gerbil.

I have always wanted to get a rat..hubby knows and we almost did but backed out. I think my hands are full at the moment and its not the right time. One day tho