PDA

View Full Version : Just a few questions!

prplecandl
08-17-2005, 08:36 AM
Hi, I have a few questions...

I am finally bringing my baby home from Renee's this weekend!!! :happy:

I was wondering about traveling... when I go get him/her what should I bring to get him home? I can not bring the cage because it is too big... Would a comfy cozy be good or do I need to try to find some type of cage? All the small ones around my home are like 30 dollars and if I only need it for coming home I didnt want to have to purchase it.

Also, pottying.... When your birds are out of their cage how do u get them to go back to the cage to go potty or am I just crazy thinking this could happen?? :roll:
I plan on letting my baby out as much as I can while we are home and I just thought if I could control the poop all over the house it might be helpful!! Heck, maybe if the bird gets trained, my 2 yr old human boy will follow... (although seeing him climb in the cage to go potty would probably be funny to any guests coming over :evil: )

Ok, thanks to all that will help me with these!

MaraJade
08-17-2005, 08:39 AM
I can’t help out with the carrier question as my only suggestion would be to buy one. You’ll need it for vet’s visits and such anyway. It’s not safe to just have your bird out in the car with you, much fun as it would be to have them sit on your shoulder while you drive. : )

I bought a “poo perch” for my quaker and lovebirds and they love it. they may not use it ALL the time, but every fifteen minutes or so when they’re out I put them on it and they’ll usually go. Then they get a big “Good boy!” and get picked up. My quaker caught on after about two times. When he gets put on that particular perch, he should take the opportunity to go. The lovebirds are a bit more stubborn about it, but my little Button will go if she feels like it.

butterfly1061
08-17-2005, 08:48 AM
I have two "vet trip" cages. Small enough for two or 3 lovies for a small amount of time. Their regular cages are WAY too big for travel. A word of caution: NEVER let your lovies out of the cage in the car! I did it one time and will never do it again. Very dangerous for you and lovie!!!

As for the poop problem in the house. I don't worry so much about it. When it dries, it vacuums up. It's too little to see (I have multi color berber carpet) and it dosen't smell like cats & dogs. I can clean the carpet after a while too. I use "Poop Off" for when I clean. It's great stuff! Comes in spray & wipes. I use the wipes.

Janie
08-17-2005, 09:10 AM
I bought a cage for $15.00 that is perfect size for the car. Very easy to seat belt in, too. This is not a carrier type cage, bigger than that but still small enough to easily get into and out of the car.

I agree with Jackie....don't sweat the poop! :D If every other thing that spills onto my floors was that EASY to clean up, I'd be thrilled! It is very easy to clean up when dry. I ordered a "CaCa Cape" last year, 2 actually, and it's a wonderful thing for clothing protection. My older lovie is ON ME most all of the time so I am always wearing one cape and have the other in the washing machine. I do think it's possible to potty train them and have seen books about that (in pet stores). They typically poop about every 15 minutes during the day and I've noticed that Oliver almost always poops right before he steps onto my finger. :D

Congratulations on your new baby! You're going to have so much fun with it! :)

bellarains
08-17-2005, 09:25 AM
Hey,

Here is a link to PetSmart, as they do have the carrier that I have. I have to tell ya, I'm not really a big supporter of pet stores, but if you need one right away, you can get it there. I actually ordered mine from www.drfostersmith.com. The one I have is the second one listed, and I love it cause it's easy to wipe out, has small mesh windows, but is enclosed enough to make them comfortable and not freak out over anything strange as lovies tend to do.

http://www.petsmart.com/ps/main.jsp

As for the potty training. You will need to monitor how often your lovie poops, usually about every 15-30 minutes, and start to train him/her. Mine do pretty good with holding a paper towel under them and saying "Poop". It doesn't work all of the time, but it cuts the poops on me in half anyway ;)

Don't forget to post us some pics when you get some :D

prplecandl
08-17-2005, 10:24 AM
Thanks so much for the encouragement!! I will look into getting something small for picking him up and vet trips.. I wasnt planning on having him loose in the car, I dont let my kids get loose so why would I another baby... :wink:

As for the poop, if its that easy to clean up I dont have much to worry about then, because we have hard wood floors, so I guess it would be even easier than carpet!!

I will post pics and such, and I am sure I will ask more questions! Thanks!

mjm8321
08-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Also try any small locally owned pet stores too. I actually got my little vet office carriers for $9.95 each and they are great. You can buy an accessory for the carrier that covers it completley with warm padded fabric (for cold weather trips). And now that I looked, here it is cheaper than I got it, darn it! http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=6328&inm=1&N=2003+62745+113133

p3rr4n
08-19-2005, 11:43 AM
Karen bought me a microwave stand with wheels that I put a gym on, for Trixie to sit and play with when she is tired of sitting on me when I work at the computer.

Trix hops off me and onto the gym to go poopies. I read somewhere where some people have trained thier birds to go on a paper, but all Trix will do with paper is shred it so Trixie taught me to leave the gym beside me. I think because Trix spends so much time on me that steppin in poopie isnt attractive so Trix pottie trained all by itself!

:lol