PDA

View Full Version : Socializing Babies

LBhobbyist
08-17-2009, 01:18 PM
Hello. Some of my lovie babies are approaching three weeks and I can't wait to begin socializing them. I read about this technique on this site and am all for it. I do have some questions though if ya'll don't mind.

Background: Parents are untamed but are very tolerant of my intrusions. They simply hop out of the nestbox onto the perch and patiently watch me as I check on their babies. They barely even make any noise.

Questions:

1. Do I have to wait until they are 21 days old? Or can I start a few days earlier?

2. Do I take the babies out all at the same time or should it be done one at a time? If I take them out at the same time, do I have to keep the parents from entering the nestbox so that they do not freak out when they see all the babies are gone?

3. How long should each session last and how many times a day can I do this?

4. Is it ok for me to play with the babies right in front of the parents or do I have to take them to a separate room? In other words, can I actually let the parents see me touching the chicks?

5. Is there even the slightest chance that the parents may abandon the babies if I take them out?

Sorry for the two thousand and one questions. :D Thanks everyone!

Chickobee
08-17-2009, 04:10 PM
My nestboxes hang on the outside of the bird cages. When I want to take the babies out I slip an envelope between the cage bars and the nestbox so it covers the box opening. Then the parents can't get in to bite me when I take the babies out.

With my current pair, Buddy & Holly, I take them out and give them some millet on the playgym. Then they don't realize I have their babies, or when they see them they don't care.

You will need to watch your own birds to figure out what they will allow. Since your parent birds are not tame you will not want to do some of the things I do, like bringing both the babies and parents out at once.

I take the babies out both individually and as a group. I want them to get used to being handled so I do this as often as my time allows, but a minimum of once each day.

When they are younger I never keep them out for more than fifteen minutes. My parent birds are all tame and they don't seem to care what I do with their babies AFTER I have them away from the nestbox.

I like to put the babies in a towel to snuggle while I watch TV and I pet them and give them scritches so they get used to my hands.

I have babies right now who are just beginning to come out of the nestbox and hang near the opening. I haven't noticed them picking at food yet but that should happen very soon. I am working with them a bit every day so they won't be afraid of my hands.

When they begin to pick at foods I will bring them out to eat and start teaching them to step up.

None of my parent birds have ever abandoned their babies because I played with them. As long as you aren't keeping them out so long that they are missing feedings they should do great.

Playing with the babies is what makes this fun!!!

LBhobbyist
08-17-2009, 04:51 PM
thanks very much. That was very informative. I believe that this pair has started to get used to me checking on the babies. I even feel that they have started to become tame because of these "intrusions" of mine. they do not run away from my hand anymore and yesterday, I was able to scratch the head of the dad with a twig and he enjoyed it. Hehe! Perhaps parenthood is good for them.

I like the idea you posted about putting the babies on a towel and watching tv with them. I can't wait to try it out later. And since the two babies were hatched about 5 days apart, I can start bringing the first chick out for this week and see how mommy and daddy react.

thanks once again. :)

Chickobee
08-18-2009, 09:26 AM
Have fun, and keep us posted on how they do.

:2cents: Oh, and another tip: The babies all seem to go to the bathroom immediately when I take them out of the nestbox so you'll want to be prepared for this. I wait a few seconds for each one or I am sure to get a lot on my shirt or the towel.

LBhobbyist
08-22-2009, 06:11 AM
I took the eldest baby out (I think I'll name her Akita or Kyoto) and although I read your advice Linda, I wasn't quick enough. She pooped in my hand! :lol I cuddled with her and rubbed her head and she responded by nuzzling against my hand. Yipee! Mom and dad did not seem to mind that I took their baby out for a walk. Hehe! Thanks again for the tips!

LBhobbyist
09-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Update:

Hi all! Just wanted to report that the socializing is going wonderfully! Yay! The eldest, Kyoto, just turned 5weeks old and flew for the first time today! She jumped from my hand to my shoulder and quickly snuggled against my neck. It was such a great moment. Sigh! They grow up so fast. They really are turning out to be such sweetie pies.

What else can I do with them aside from snuggling, cuddling and scratching their heads? How do I introduce them to playing? I tried giving her a toy but she got scared and hid under my palm. She's learned to pick seeds up from my palm although she can't quite peel them yet.

Once again, any advice is greatly appreciated. This site is a godsend! :) I will be posting photos this weekend.

Chickobee
09-09-2009, 09:20 AM
My little ones would play with food before they started playing with toys. So, itty bitty pieces of chopped veggies, millet, birdie bread, etc. are good starters.

Also, pony beads, bits of paper or brightly colored yarn (short pieces), bottle caps. Toys that have bells or bits of leather or cotton or jute that they can pick at and preen...

One thing the babies liked pretty early was a pony bead tied with a little piece of knotted yarn. Then they could pick it up and run with it while the other babies chased them and tried to take it away. (baby birdie football???) They would do that with a plain pony bead also. What one has the others want--just like kids.

They will do the same thing with a kernel of corn, a bit of carrot, or a pea.

LBhobbyist
09-09-2009, 11:08 AM
O cool! Thanks Linda. Kyoto seems to be afraid of bright colors though. I'll try all your suggestions. LOL I made them a play pen and I'm excited to try it out. I have another clutch of three and I can't wait to have all five playing baby birdie football. haha!