PDA

View Full Version : New lovebird

bookworm0550
08-19-2009, 08:32 AM
my boyfriend and I got a new lovebird on Sunday. He's a green pied opaline boy. We were gonna get two, but didn't bring enough cash for his orange face opaline brother. His name is chomper after the t Rex dinosaur in the land before time series. He's 3 months old, very scared and was not handled much. He is good bout not biting and hanging out on my hands, but very nervous. Didn't have any toys in his cage so the toys he has now, he's clueless bout them.

He has not been eating a lot. I think hes in shock. Mostly sitting there chirping to joey and them.

He is in my bedroom. Unfortunately pan ruined quarantine cuz I didn't shut my door tight enough and the wind blew it open without me realizing that. I heard pan chirping and I thought maybe he flew to the closet so I went to look and nope, he was on chompers cage. Joey decided he would follow me too and got curious bout chompers. Argh. Hopefully that's not long enough for them to catch anything if chomper has anything.

Pips mom
08-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Where did you get him from? Got him on Sunday and still no pic?? :confused: Congrats! I sure hope you have a healthy little guy!

bookworm0550
08-19-2009, 09:24 AM
We got him from a breeder that we've never had before. He has beautiful birds, the most whitest creaminos I've ever seen. Unfortunately, I have a great hen already and rather only have one otherwise I would have picked the whiteface creamino. But they were lacking toys big time. I don't know if chomper was hand fed or parent raised. If he was hand fed, he was not socialized. And if he was parent raised he's pretty good being handled by us.

Flip
08-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Woohoo! Another lovie! I'm jealous! I can't wait to see pictures of Chomper. Opalines are gorgeous!! I'm glad he's good about being handled. I'm sure he'll calm down once he sees what wonderful parronts you are :)

PICS PLEASE!!

Jally
08-19-2009, 12:10 PM
:( Ok, you all need to stop! I'm so jealous of you all getting new birds *pouts*

Seriously! Congrats! Can't wait to see pics! :)

bookworm0550
08-19-2009, 01:00 PM
He looks like pan only lime green. They look like they could be brothers. I confess, I'm gonna go back for his orange face brother. In case mine are bullies, but from what I saw, I think pan likes him already and I know he's lonely. He tried preening his reflection last night

Flip
08-19-2009, 01:55 PM
I confess, I'm gonna go back for his orange face brother.

I think you are officially ADDICTED to lovies!!! What does your BF think?

By the way, how is Jada doing?

bookworm0550
08-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Jada. I'm torn. I want to keep her but don't know if she's better off back at cindy's where she's the only bird. I worry bout her.

Enko_chan
08-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Congrats on the new bird(s)! Can't wait to see photos! I hadn't seen you post in a few days and was about to PM you to make sure all was well. I'm so glad it was something exciting and happy that is going on!!

I really wish I lived closer. Jada may do better as an only bird, but having a parrotlet buddy may help as well. Things fell through with Sayuri, and at this point we're either adopting or waiting until after Christmas to get another one. We have dibs on a white-turquoise pied hen... whenever the next one is hatched. A really rare and amazing mutation- white with grey and turquoise. Still, I would give it all up to give a rescue hen a good home.

LovelySydney
08-19-2009, 02:55 PM
How did I miss this?!?! Congrats on the new baby!! & going to get his BROTHER, lol. You crack me up & make me super jealous at the same time!! I love lovies, ugh!! :rofl: Im so happy for you. & I wish we lived closer (were only 10 hours away, LOL) because I would take Jada in a heartbeat. Little Oliver needs a friend. He is such an independent boy but I know hes not like Neko, he doesn't want people love, he wants bird love!!!

Can't wait to see pics, congrats again!!! :blush:

bookworm0550
08-19-2009, 04:31 PM
Yea, I cried thinking bout giving her back cuz I just love her. If cindy doesn't want to take her back, I'll keep her and she will just to live with the lovebirds. I would never rehome her to some stranger nor do I want to rehome her period. I just worry she's gonna get hurt cuz she's a fighter.

Flip
08-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Maybe you need to get her a little parrotlet friend?? ;)

bookworm0550
08-20-2009, 08:09 AM
lol, no, i don't know if she'll like another p'let. too bad i dont know anyone who has one otherwise i'd borrow their bird to try it.

LovelySydney
08-20-2009, 02:14 PM
You can borrow Oliver, he's molting - he needs someone to pick his pinfeathers!! = )

thebubbleking
08-20-2009, 06:32 PM
to bad oliver is not female sunshine will preen any female lol
My suns are almost done with thier molt boy they sure do look itchy dont they!

thebubbleking
08-20-2009, 06:33 PM
You know book weird thought some of my foster lovies didnt like birds of certain colors or only likes birds of thier same coloring just a thought and i dont know much bout p'lets

Enko_chan
08-21-2009, 12:37 AM
Kristy-

Benny is molting too and the poor thing is miserable. I do the best I can, but he needs a birds' touch. Its a shame you aren't closer so he and Oliver could have play dates and preen one another.

bookworm0550
08-21-2009, 09:21 AM
Bubbleking, I thought that too with pan but who knows.

Jada girl lets me preen her and break up her pin feathers. I feel like she's always growing more pin feathers than the lovebirds

LovelySydney
08-21-2009, 09:56 AM
Yes Enko I wish we could do that!!! I think eventually we will be getting Oliver a friend. He needs that birds touch, and he just WONT let me do it. Most he will do is sit on my finger but once my "big bad hand" starts coming, hes outta there!! lol poor baby, I hope it doesnt last too much longer.

Uhhhh bookworm - PICTURES of the new baby yet!?!?!?! = )

bookworm0550
08-21-2009, 01:40 PM
My Internet sucks at home and I've been too busy, I do have five birds now!!!!! LOL

LovelySydney
08-21-2009, 02:05 PM
LOL Oh I know, but I get to be impatient! Whats the dynamic with 5 birds like? I bet its crazy (but fun @ the same time).

Enko_chan
08-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Haha Bookworm- that's part of the reason I haven't posted the hundreds of birdie photos I've taken- too busy between the fish and all these birdies!! Unfortunately, the software to my phone was lost in the shuffle of wiping computers, building Chris's studio/office, so my photos will have to wait... they're good ones, too... of Koko and I and Chris bonding, the lovies being cute as always, ALL of my birdies WET & STINKY, and my personal favorite: Benny eating broccoli, with a very messy result!

Ben also grows more pin feathers than the lovebirds. I break them up and help him get them out- luckily he loves nothing more than to lay his sweet self down on me and get his head scritched! Still, he is so sensitive right now I feel bad about pawing at him so much, even though I'm trying to help, a beak would do a better job. Benny hates the lovebirds and Kokoro just moved into the Bedroom yesterday- so when it comes to the possibility of him getting preened by one of our other birds, no dice.

thebubbleking
08-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Pfft only 5?!?!?! i got 8 and three different species of parrots to boot and i post pics :D

bookworm0550
08-22-2009, 07:01 AM
Oh hush up bubbleking, haha