PDA

View Full Version : I thought my lovebird was a male but now I'm not sure

starbuck
08-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Hi,
At first I was sure that 9 month old lovebird Bucky was a boy. He wasn't particularly good at tucking things under his wings and he likes humping rolled toilet paper. Recently, I got another lovebird. After 2 weeks of quarantine as suggested by the breeder, I decided to put there cages next to each other for a few minutes to see how they react to one another. There was a lot of chirping and excitement.

What surprises me the most was when Bucky started opening his wings and raising his tail up in the air. He's never done this before. he was also making some strange clicking sound. Is this a female mating behavior? Or is this an aggressive behavior?

If Bucky is a girl, should I be worried about him/her hurting the new lovebird who's too young to mate. I'm hoping someday that Bucky would share the flight cage with new the lovebird. Is this a bad idea?

Other things that lead me to believe he is a female is that he learned to say a few words. I heard females are more likely to talk than males.

Flapjack
08-26-2009, 03:36 PM
:) lol- there's another thread posted just under yours with basically the same question.:)

I put Jack's story there.

There's really no sure-fire way to tell without DNA, but it looks like you may have a little hen.

BTW- 30 days should be minimum quarantine.

LoveBug12
08-26-2009, 03:45 PM
I think we are in the same pickle, LOL! This little birds are confusing sometimes.

starbuck
08-26-2009, 03:49 PM
:) lol- there's another thread posted just under yours with basically the same question.:)

I put Jack's story there.

There's really no sure-fire way to tell without DNA, but it looks like you may have a little hen.

BTW- 30 days should be minimum quarantine.

The breeder who raised Rexy (the new lovebird) said 2 weeks is fine. His/her parents were tested for diseases. But oh well... I guess I got a little too impatient. :whistle:

Lovebirds are so strange. I can relate to your story from previous post. I'm still hoping and praying Bucky is a boy. I'm also hoping Rexy is a boy. But I love them either way.

Flapjack
08-26-2009, 04:17 PM
They are entertaining, for sure!

I love your avatar pic!

starbuck
08-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Thanks Flapjack. That's my little sweet Bucky taking a nap on my hand.